How to Keep Manu at Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 569
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:59 pm
Location: Coalville

Re: How to Keep Manu at Tigers

Post by Coops » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:28 pm

Leicestertinytiger wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:59 pm
Agree with this, he definitely no longer warrants his marquee slot which I’m sure he must realise also. No doubt he’s still a great player though and I’ve no doubt we’ll have put a good contract on the table for him. Just down to him I guess, wouldn’t be the end of the world if he left, with the likes of Ford, May and now Eastmond, we still have some quality backs.
Yep. For far too long we've kept players because they'd been at Tigers a long time and felt we owed them. Unfortunately loyalty counts for nothing in these professional days (and that works both ways), and we should be looking at what players give us better value for money.

But this is the conundrum which the board and playing committee need to consider along with everything else in the melting pot, and the availability of other players inc current and targets will alter the course of whether Manu stays or not.

Mark62
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4168
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:16 pm

Re: How to Keep Manu at Tigers

Post by Mark62 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:30 pm

Coops wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:28 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:59 pm
Agree with this, he definitely no longer warrants his marquee slot which I’m sure he must realise also. No doubt he’s still a great player though and I’ve no doubt we’ll have put a good contract on the table for him. Just down to him I guess, wouldn’t be the end of the world if he left, with the likes of Ford, May and now Eastmond, we still have some quality backs.
Yep. For far too long we've kept players because they'd been at Tigers a long time and felt we owed them. Unfortunately loyalty counts for nothing in these professional days (and that works both ways), and we should be looking at what players give us better value for money.

But this is the conundrum which the board and playing committee need to consider along with everything else in the melting pot, and the availability of other players inc current and targets will alter the course of whether Manu stays or not.
Great post. It is conceivable that both our current Marquee players will be leaving in the summer. As you say how we replace them depends on a lot of factors not least of which is what is availabilie as well as where strengthening is required.
With 2 centres off we will need to replace at least one of them, especially taking into account Owens fragility.
The issue is of course that any quality players will be at the World Cup and therefore not available till November time. I would love to see us enquire about Croft’s availability.

voice of the crumbie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1781
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:25 pm
Location: coalville

Re: How to Keep Manu at Tigers

Post by voice of the crumbie » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:08 pm

I would love to see us enquire about Croft’s availability.
I believe he has been running a coffee bar. So should be no problem re-signing him fitness permitting. :smt003
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!

Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1026
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:18 am
Location: Over the hill and far away

Re: How to Keep Manu at Tigers

Post by Grimlish » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:19 pm

Coops wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:28 pm
Yep. For far too long we've kept players because they'd been at Tigers a long time and felt we owed them.
So who is that then?

There were plenty moaning here about losing Mulipola last off-season, or Barrow and then Slater the previous year (all with substantial periods of injury), And Salvi. Parling, Waldrom before that. Going back further we've let Moody and fair few others go. So there's plenty of evidence of us letting people go for a variety of reasons.

Of those who we've kept who had long-term injury woes - Tait and Manu - both have shown their worth. Tom Croft i believe took a salary cut to stay on to prove himself (unsuccessfully, so he retired). Brady came and went - there are others.

Seems to me the ones who stayed were largely the ones we wanted to keep, presumably because our coached saw something worthwhile there, and the ones who went were either not key players or we could no longer afford to keep (Muli and Goneva in the latter bracket, with only Niki not having had a long term lay-off for injury sfaik).


So, who then? (apart from Manu - since even if i agreed with you on that, one example doesnt prove the point).

johnthegriff
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1319
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:37 am

Re: How to Keep Manu at Tigers

Post by johnthegriff » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:51 pm

Any player has a contract, he is unlikely to leave whilst on a long term injury, who would sign him? At the end of his contract we have the chance to negotiate a new deal at which point medical advice will be taken. Mid contract Tigers have no choice but to honour the contract or possibly agree a retirement and insurance pay out thus releasing salary cap. Of course if the player returns to playing at any level the insurers will want their money back.

Mark62
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4168
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:16 pm

Re: How to Keep Manu at Tigers

Post by Mark62 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:42 pm

voice of the crumbie wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:08 pm
I would love to see us enquire about Croft’s availability.
I believe he has been running a coffee bar. So should be no problem re-signing him fitness permitting. :smt003
So sorry didn’t check auto correct. I meant Crotty

sam16111986
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4027
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:27 pm
Location: Shepshed

Re: How to Keep Manu at Tigers

Post by sam16111986 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:28 pm

fleabane wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:35 am
It begs the question again of whether we really need him. I would suggest not. He is too prone to injury and long term recovery, and adds little to the attack except as a battering ram, a style of play that has failed to show results. Still liable to run out of a defensive line, thus creating a gap for the opposition to exploit, he’s not a lot of help there either.

Let him go to a French club where he will be under less physical pressure, just like Wilco was, and let him make money whilst he physically can.
I think the biggest problem of recent times has been Manu being used as a battering ram. Running him into a brick wall is not the best way to use him and we've already see how much more effective he's been this season compared to last with Ford and Eastmond playing flat and popping to Manu arriving at pace off the shoulder.

Get Manu attacking flat and aiming at a gap at pace and no one is making a weak shoulder tackle. You need your body weight behind you to get Manu down.

Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2793
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:30 pm
Location: Lincoln

Re: How to Keep Manu at Tigers

Post by Hot_Charlie » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:35 pm

LE18 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:04 pm
Hot_Charlie wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:12 am
I’d move over the world for another £50pa!
You're a bit of a cheapskate, that's less than a quid a week! :smt005
Fair point. Don’t tell my boss. :smt003

Mark62
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4168
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:16 pm

Re: How to Keep Manu at Tigers

Post by Mark62 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:20 am

Don’t want to start another thread but is anyone able to confirm who our 2 Marquee players are. I thought it was Toomua and Manu, but I’ve just been told it’s Toomua and Coley. Many thanks

JP14
Super User
Super User
Posts: 5837
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:37 am
Location: Neverland

Re: How to Keep Manu at Tigers

Post by JP14 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:36 am

It is Manu and Toomua, Cole is not in marquee I imagine he is only one 150k something like that.
"Our Greatest Glory Is Not In Never Failing, But In Rising Every Time We Fall" Confucius

Mark62
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4168
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:16 pm

Re: How to Keep Manu at Tigers

Post by Mark62 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:29 am

Many thanks JP.
I think you may have sold Dan short by around £100k though 😂

ellis9
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4187
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:44 pm
Location: Birmingham

Re: How to Keep Manu at Tigers

Post by ellis9 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:22 am

Grimlish wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:19 pm
Coops wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:28 pm
Yep. For far too long we've kept players because they'd been at Tigers a long time and felt we owed them.
So who is that then?

There were plenty moaning here about losing Mulipola last off-season, or Barrow and then Slater the previous year (all with substantial periods of injury), And Salvi. Parling, Waldrom before that. Going back further we've let Moody and fair few others go. So there's plenty of evidence of us letting people go for a variety of reasons.

Of those who we've kept who had long-term injury woes - Tait and Manu - both have shown their worth. Tom Croft i believe took a salary cut to stay on to prove himself (unsuccessfully, so he retired). Brady came and went - there are others.

Seems to me the ones who stayed were largely the ones we wanted to keep, presumably because our coached saw something worthwhile there, and the ones who went were either not key players or we could no longer afford to keep (Muli and Goneva in the latter bracket, with only Niki not having had a long term lay-off for injury sfaik).


So, who then? (apart from Manu - since even if i agreed with you on that, one example doesnt prove the point).
:smt023

JP14
Super User
Super User
Posts: 5837
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:37 am
Location: Neverland

Re: How to Keep Manu at Tigers

Post by JP14 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:10 pm

Mark62 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:29 am
Many thanks JP.
I think you may have sold Dan short by around £100k though 😂
A two tours Lions international, 3 times Premiership winner and England stalwart deserves more than 50k even if you are a prop and your name is Dan Cole 😂.
"Our Greatest Glory Is Not In Never Failing, But In Rising Every Time We Fall" Confucius

Mark62
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4168
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:16 pm

Re: How to Keep Manu at Tigers

Post by Mark62 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:14 pm

You misunderstand me he’s likely to be a minimum of £250 k particularly when you take into account Cilliers rumoured £300 k

JP14
Super User
Super User
Posts: 5837
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:37 am
Location: Neverland

Re: How to Keep Manu at Tigers

Post by JP14 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:08 pm

Mark62 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:14 pm
You misunderstand me he’s likely to be a minimum of £250 k particularly when you take into account Cilliers rumoured £300 k
Ohhh right okay, we did get Cilliers from Montpellier so that might partly explain his expensive salary.
"Our Greatest Glory Is Not In Never Failing, But In Rising Every Time We Fall" Confucius

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests