Post by JP14 »

Manu’s never playing on the wing again after New Zealand back in ‘14 😂
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: First choice back line

Post by Mark62 »

If all fit, Youngs , Ford, May, Toomua, Tuilagi, Thompstone , Veianu.
Eastmond and Holmes on the bench who can cover centre and back 3 with Toomua to 10 if necessary
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

Manu reverting to wing is for me the way forward career wise. This insistence on using him as a crash ball centre has contributed to a lot of his injuries over the past few seasons. The lad has lost a bit of timber this season and the try against Newacastle showed he still possesses wingers pace. Pace he didn’t have when he was to bulky. I can see him being Alex mark 2.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

I don’t think Manu would manage 40 minutes on the wing if he worked like Thompstone and May!😀
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Can't see Manu as a back 3 player at all - would be targeted with high balls by every club, covering across would be no existent and don't think he has the ability to know when to come and when to stay back. Sorry - not for me - he is an outside centre pure and simple.
Hehehehehehehehe
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Certainly Holmes and Eastmond must be in it....
How Holmes has been consistently overlooked is a disgrace.
A massive plus after the appalling back 5 play today
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Not 100% sure it is a disgrace.
Thompstone did a job on Naiyaravoro and showed why he is rated, he's an excellent defensive option.
Veainu and May are world class though.

Certainly should've been in the 23 more though, but it's logical why Thompstone can be preferred at times.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

I'd have Eastmond over Toomua based on form this season.

I was a little unsure when I heard Eastmond was coming but he has been excellent in both attack and defence. Just give him and Manu time to get used to playing together.
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

That display at Full back by Holmes was the best for a long time . Just got back from London - dreadful conditions all day - he didn't put a foot wrong . Safer with the high ball than Veianu and can defend - suggest Veianu on the wing while May is out .
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

MikeR wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:59 pm That display at Full back by Holmes was the best for a long time . Just got back from London - dreadful conditions all day - he didn't put a foot wrong . Safer with the high ball than Veianu and can defend - suggest Veianu on the wing while May is out .
I'd suggest that Holmes along with Ford's kicking was the difference between the two sides today.
It was a battling performance overall by Leicester but Holmes was the quality that rescued Leicester, his use of space is top quality, if he can kick then he is the full back that Leicester have been looking for!
Saints were the slightly better side today in my opinion, looked like slightly better scrum and line out success rates to me, they mauled better but failed to kick their points when on offer but most of all their scrum half was as bad as I've seen in a long time.
I'd be on the phone offering 5k pw for Harrison, they'd be a completely different animal with him in my opinion, we are spoiled!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

MikeR wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:59 pm That display at Full back by Holmes was the best for a long time . Just got back from London - dreadful conditions all day - he didn't put a foot wrong . Safer with the high ball than Veianu and can defend - suggest Veianu on the wing while May is out .
Excellent from Holmes today. I thought he was poor Vs Wuss on the wing, didn't look solid in defence that day. Looked rock solid today though, maybe being in the game more at 15 suits him. Owolofela is certainly happier on the wing.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

JP14 wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:32 pm Manu’s never playing on the wing again after New Zealand back in ‘14 😂
Manu's stats for that game:

9 carries for 100m
1 clean break, 3 defenders beaten, 3 offloads
5 tackles made, none missed

Mind you, he did get caught from behind once, so.... yeah...
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

4071 wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:01 am
JP14 wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:32 pm Manu’s never playing on the wing again after New Zealand back in ‘14 😂
Manu's stats for that game:

9 carries for 100m
1 clean break, 3 defenders beaten, 3 offloads
5 tackles made, none missed

Mind you, he did get caught from behind once, so.... yeah...
I thought he had a big game on Saturday, not just for what is listed above, but look at his work without the ball his work at the breakdown was also very good, in short an all round good performance with much of his work going mostly unseen.
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Manu smashing into a big ruck from standstill and the ball then popping out was a great highlight last Saturday!