Referees

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Lutontiger

Re: Referees

Post by Lutontiger »

I'd like to see some former-forwards used as scrum refs! I'd love to see them trundling on :)
They could ref the opposite side to the actual ref and advise, as poachers-turned-gamekeepers, on the various infringements often missed by refs who've never been in a scrum in their lives. I would've thought touch judges should be doing this, but not these days: many seem to do little more than wave a flag when the ball goes out.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Nick Wood of Gloucester stock is a ref now isn’t he?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

This young guy Christophe Ridley looks to be a very competent ref.

(anyone else think that Bath and Chiefs forwards all look so much heavier and stronger than Tigers?)
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

LE18 wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:45 pm This young guy Christophe Ridley looks to be a very competent ref.

(anyone else think that Bath and Chiefs forwards all look so much heavier and stronger than Tigers?)
Mentioned Him in my OP. Ex tigers academy 9 and I think worked in the community team for a while
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Chiefs were not quite their usual well drilled seal flopping selves but were allowed to dive into the ruck worse than I've seen from anyone this season so far.
Bath had the Chiefs in my opinion but a combination of FB and the ref let them off.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Smudge wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:11 pm The referees do see crooked feeds but, unlike in the past, choose to ignore them, why don't TMO's ( who have an advantaged view), call them? They call SOME forward passes. Likewise, they have a great view of restarts and choose to ignore chasers ahead of the kicker.

Now that they have the freedom to advise during play, (without consultation) why are they so selective?
Is it to keep the game flowing, as some claim? Referees will always claim they ignore minor/some infringements for the same reason. This being the way, they can always influence the game in favour of the team they would like/prefer to win. This is a dangerous and slippery slope which needs addressing.

In the past, we have all seen blatant mistakes which seemed to even themselves up in the course of the game. Are we now
taking it too far and in danger of turning it into an ultra clinical game? That would be a disaster.
Agree with you. It would only take a couple of whistles from the ref for players to keep behind the line. They would soon learn... ..even forwards could manage that! :smt003
As Good As It Gets
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

BFG wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:06 pm Chiefs were not quite their usual well drilled seal flopping selves but were allowed to dive into the ruck worse than I've seen from anyone this season so far.
Bath had the Chiefs in my opinion but a combination of FB and the ref let them off.
The flopping as well as refs ignoring maul offences gets both me and Mrs G going. A disease that started in NZ, migrated to Pro 12 as was, and has become normal.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

jgriffin wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:23 am
BFG wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:06 pm Chiefs were not quite their usual well drilled seal flopping selves but were allowed to dive into the ruck worse than I've seen from anyone this season so far.
The flopping as well as refs ignoring maul offences gets both me and Mrs G going. A disease that started in NZ, migrated to Pro 12 as was, and has become normal.
I would've enjoyed seeing Bath turn the Chiefs over, it was not to be but it's possible that Bath may have stumbled upon a tactic that if executed better could undo these physically dominant law pushers.
I thought it was really interesting to see Burns at 15 who started really well with the two kickers at 10 and 15 and cut down the midfield refereeing lottery.
Unfortunately some errors on the night combined to go against it but that could well settle down with more game time in the position in a tactical playing sense.
Chiefs had no idea what to do for a good spell early on, only when they were gifted it by Bath or then enter the ref later on did they come into it.