Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Re: Saints v Tigers

Post by Chobbsy »

:smt015 :smt015 :smt015
BFG wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:33 am The lack of any attempt from the Leics front row to strike for the ball in the last ten minutes was little more than a chest beating exercise and a penalty, Saints got the ball out fairly simply even with the illegal push against so play on, yet another law often forgotten by refs!
It's a shame we didn't see Feao with Thacker and maybe Pasquali on the other side, another big idiot sticker for the recruiter!
Time will tell Mark, plenty more to come, I hope to see Cole get a rest and Heyes start soon so a more informed opinion can be made!
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:17 pm Got the popcorn. :smt023

This is fascinating. :smt002

A cliffhanger. :smt005

https://laws.worldrugby.org/?highlight=scrum&law=19

19.20 Front-row players may gain possession by striking for the ball but only once the ball touches the ground in the tunnel. Sanction: Free-kick.

May does not mean MUST except:

19.22 The hooker from the team which threw in the ball must strike for the ball. Sanction: Free-kick.

No mention that the hooker on the defending team MUST hook/compete that I can see. IMO, holding an opinion that the defending front row / hooker MUST hook or compete for the ball is like saying a team defending a lineout MUST jump and MUST compete - they don't HAVE to, at least from my interpretation/reading of the laws.

Took two minutes to find and extract that info.

Am I over simplifying? Missing something? Is it shrouded within another area of the Laws? Happy to directed to it if so.

Absence of supposed/claimed directive can only mean it does not exist...except in far away places.... but then, I'm sure the info on this link has been read and considered prior to posting (I think someone has at some point)... even if perceived to be too much hassle to read/consult/use as evidence to support opinion.

Unless, of course, the intent is to frustrate or windup other board posters :smt002

Happy Sunday all :smt006
Game, set & MATCH
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

drc_007 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:01 am G Ford 18 tackles missed 2, stood his ground well when Saints sent big ball carriers down his channel and also provided excellent cover defence.
Ford does anticipate where the opposition will attack and covers well. Like a certain Mr Wilkinson used to.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:22 pm
jgriffin wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:14 pm This needed its own thread that the rest of us could ignore.
My apologies
I'm just glad it's not me.

The only player who must strike for the ball is the hooker from the team with the put in. It's very clear in the laws (which are rules).
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

teds wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:34 pm Speaking of laws (really they are rules but someone will have a hissy fit if we don’t call them ‘laws’), this is the first season I can recall seeing so many players dragging on the back of the maul. Has there been a rule change on this, or what’s happening?
Just returning to the OP Saints v Tigers ~ Lawes had a back spasm and not a hissy fit :smt003
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Chobbsy wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:33 am
ellis9 wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:57 am
JackFlashJonny wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:53 pm Tigers are on a hiding to nothing this game...the emotion in the Saints camp will be at fever pitch for poor old Rob Horne

I really hate wet weather rugby...completely ruins the game (unless playing it as sliding around in the mud is great fun)
Yes because Twickenham doesn't have an excellent pitch with much grass on it does it? :smt017 It's going to end up being a brown pitch with no grass on it by the end if the match! :smt002
Really? it's a fantastic pitch, just because it isn't Welford Road
It was meant to say "Its NOT going to end up being a brown pitch with no grass on it by the end of the match."

Twickenham has a superb pitch.