Saints v Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Saints v Tigers

Post by markharbtiger »

As Bleddyn said “two average sides”. Defence much much better, but also much to work on, including the line out! Still, a win is a win.
I think I’d be more worried if I were a Saints fan...
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Mark62 wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:05 pm Pleasing result. Ben Kay was saying that he hadn’t seen a team defend like that at line out time and we couldn’t work it out.
Big pluses Eastmond again, Holmes rightly motm great at 15, and Hayes coming on and destroying their scrum, especially after a certain poster on this forum was so critical after the Wasps game.

Negatives, Jonny May shoulder hopefully not too bad, Veianu back next week hopefully to lessen the blow. Denton HIA we really missed him and interestingly Mapapalanga was subbed at the end.
I thought Feao's introduction did the most damage but they had the edge on Saints all day to be fair.
Glad you thought of me though, it's good to know that it gets to you and I will return the favour when the chance arises, and it will!
Just pleased they won to be honest and always thought they could against an average Saints side especially minus Lawes.
Scrappy low quality game in dire weather but Holmes was superb, many have been calling for him for ages now and he didn't disappoint.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

markharbtiger wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:35 pm As Bleddyn said “two average sides”. Defence much much better, but also much to work on, including the line out! Still, a win is a win.
Lineout was pretty good I thought, it was the stuff after that had me pulling out my hair.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:42 pm
markharbtiger wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:35 pm As Bleddyn said “two average sides”. Defence much much better, but also much to work on, including the line out! Still, a win is a win.
Lineout was pretty good I thought, it was the stuff after that had me pulling out my hair.
Agree but then why not take the ball off the top occasionally and spin it wide? I'd have put money on Holmes getting through them.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

I'm sure jgriffin will jump at the chance on this one, but, were the backlines ever on side from any set play?
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

Great day out at Twickers so far. You don’t watch THE derby for its pretty rugby. You watch it for the passion from both teams and (hopefully) the win.

And our defence was much better....
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

So to keep this pointless thing up to date
Exeter (A) 0 gained or lost from last years fixture.
Falcons (H) 4 points gained
Wasps (A) 1 point gained
Worcester (H) 1 point gained
Sale (H) 1 point lost
Saints (A) 4 points gained

Tigers currently up 9 points compared to last season in the same fixtures.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

If Cockers or O’Connor were still DOR would Hayes have got on the pitch?
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

It's pretty clear that Holmes at FB and Olowofela on the wing is the way forward and not vice versa.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
HantsTiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by HantsTiger »

POSTIGER wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:18 pm It's pretty clear that Holmes at FB and Olowofela on the wing is the way forward and not vice versa.
Amen to that! Olo looked more comfortable on the wing too, which given a knock to May gives us more options.

Rolling maul defence still concerns me, well so does the rolling maul attack TBH. We splintered far too easily.

But we won and right now we need that momentum!
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:54 pm I'm sure jgriffin will jump at the chance on this one, but, were the backlines ever on side from any set play?
Given the conditions (and I nearly went to HQ but family stuff got in the way -thankfully so it was BT viewing,) I thought the Tigers played the game about right? Holmes was MoM and played the conditions very well. You can only play what is in front of you and, yes there were lots of " what the @&*$" moments but an improvement from last week. Not up to the standard of Sarries and the Chiefs but hey-ho - bragging rights for the office on Tuesday!!!!!
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

I stand corrected. According to http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/matchstats? ... gue=267979 it was 12 of 14 successful. I thought I’d seen three go astray...
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

markharbtiger wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:51 pm
I stand corrected. According to http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/matchstats? ... gue=267979 it was 12 of 14 successful. I thought I’d seen three go astray...
One of those was through (not over) the catcher/jumpers hands too.... greasy ball / hands contributed?
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:54 pm I'm sure jgriffin will jump at the chance on this one, but, were the backlines ever on side from any set play?
Cheeky :smt023
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:00 pm
markharbtiger wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:51 pm

One of those was through (not over) the catcher/jumpers hands too.... greasy ball / hands contributed?

True. Sorry - this season I seem to be a touch anxious about the line-out...for some reason :smt017