Re: Saints v Tigers

Post by northerntiger »

Thanks. Nice touch that
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

It was a good day out at HQ today all told and still enjoying it down here; an away win is always a good thing. Lots of effort from the team and although we conceded 3 tries there were a number of periods of serious defensive effort that would have led to conceeding more tries in times gone by. I agree that Holmes and Eastmond were standouts today, very closely followed by Thompson and Denton; I think there is also some leadership capacity and capability developing in the aforementioned which augurs well for the future.
I am still perplexed at the persistence of the catch and drive from the lineout today which just did not work and led to unplayable ball and an effective turnover for Saints on numerous occasions. I understand it is a staple of the modern game and hence we need to practice it in real time but in a tight game and with a strong set of backs I wonder if better to spin wide. I guess there was an element of the weather and game management involved but it was a bit frustrating.
As Good As It Gets
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

markharbtiger wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:51 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:42 pm
markharbtiger wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:35 pm I stand corrected. According to http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/matchstats? ... gue=267979 it was 12 of 14 successful. I thought I’d seen three go astray...
Wow. If you saw the stats and not the final score you'd have thought Saints put a cricket score on us! 73% territory, 69% possession, 9/10 own scrums won, decent lineout stats too.....and yet they didn't even secure an LBP. Funny old game.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

HantsTiger wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:28 pm
POSTIGER wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:18 pm It's pretty clear that Holmes at FB and Olowofela on the wing is the way forward and not vice versa.
Amen to that! Olo looked more comfortable on the wing too, which given a knock to May gives us more options.

Rolling maul defence still concerns me, well so does the rolling maul attack TBH. We splintered far too easily.

But we won and right now we need that momentum!
The other wing looked pretty useful too. What an offload to Holmes to set up the first try!
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Some of the stats make interesting reading

Thompson 20 tackles, missed none.
Wells 20 tackles missed none.

But also honourable mention to

G Ford 18 tackles missed 2, stood his ground well when Saints sent big ball carriers down his channel and also provided excellent cover defence.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

drc_007 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:01 am Some of the stats make interesting reading

Thompson 20 tackles, missed none.
Wells 20 tackles missed none.

But also honourable mention to

G Ford 18 tackles missed 2, stood his ground well when Saints sent big ball carriers down his channel and also provided excellent cover defence.
For me Thompson is quickly becoming indispensable to our pack. Criminal really that Wasps let him go. He’s got a great all round game.

For me if we really want to expand our game then for me our backrow should be Thompson, O’Connor and Denton when all fit. Kalamafoni a great option off the bench.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

When George Ford came back, I had 2 major reservations, his goal kicking and defence. Not any more. While he does miss the odd fairly straightforward kick, his overall percentage is excellent and he seems to have added distance as well. As for his defence? He is never going to be able to stop big players consistently in the way that say Mako does, but he does sometimes and is rarely just a speed bump. If not, he makes a right :censored: nuisance of himself, usually tackling high to stop the offload and slows the player down, making it easier for a second tackler and a possible choke tackle.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Well as a pre match purveyor of doom, I feel suitably humbled. I was so demoralised after the Worcester and Sale games I couldn't see a way we could win. Haven't seen the match. Reading the trails it sounds as if this was a battle between two very average teams. But a win as they say...................The fact that we are 12th in the league in terms of points against says it all. At least its simple what the focus has to be.............
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Just rewatched the last 10 minutes again, super impressed by Feao and Heyes. Can’t believe Heyes is only 19, great prospect. He’s also very good at the breakdown too if you watch him closely, good work rate.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:51 am Just rewatched the last 10 minutes again, super impressed by Feao and Heyes. Can’t believe Heyes is only 19, great prospect. He’s also very good at the breakdown too if you watch him closely, good work rate.
Working with Boris and learning from Dan I can see him being England’s tight head in 2 or 3 years.
England’s other options, other than Cole are distinctly average.

Oh and Joe if you read this forum ignore what BFG says
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

The lack of any attempt from the Leics front row to strike for the ball in the last ten minutes was little more than a chest beating exercise and a penalty, Saints got the ball out fairly simply even with the illegal push against so play on, yet another law often forgotten by refs!
It's a shame we didn't see Feao with Thacker and maybe Pasquali on the other side, another big idiot sticker for the recruiter!
Time will tell Mark, plenty more to come, I hope to see Cole get a rest and Heyes start soon so a more informed opinion can be made!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

BFG wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:33 am The lack of any attempt from the Leics front row to strike for the ball in the last ten minutes was little more than a chest beating exercise and a penalty, Saints got the ball out fairly simply even with the illegal push against so play on, yet another law often forgotten by refs!
It's a shame we didn't see Feao with Thacker and maybe Pasquali on the other side, another big idiot sticker for the recruiter!
Time will tell Mark, plenty more to come, I hope to see Cole get a rest and Heyes start soon so a more informed opinion can be made!
I think you’re a little confused. Our hooker only has to strike for the ball on our put in. On theirs they can push for all their worth
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:37 am
BFG wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:33 am The lack of any attempt from the Leics front row to strike for the ball in the last ten minutes was little more than a chest beating exercise and a penalty, Saints got the ball out fairly simply even with the illegal push against so play on, yet another law often forgotten by refs!
I think you’re a little confused. Our hooker only has to strike for the ball on our put in. On theirs they can push for all their worth
No you are the confused one, you need to read up on your laws!
I believe no attempt to strike is a free kick, it should be more to stop the cheating but that's just in my opinion.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Seriously you are so out of touch. The opposition hooker does not have to strike for the opposition ball, that is why the advantage is there for the other hooker to shove as he strikes.

Show me in the laws where it says that the opposition hooker has to strike for the opposition ball which you won’t find, in which case I hope for an apology.

Not holding my breath for either
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:48 am Seriously you are so out of touch. The opposition hooker does not have to strike for the opposition ball, that is why the advantage is there for the other hooker to shove as he strikes.

Show me in the laws where it says that the opposition hooker has to strike for the opposition ball which you won’t find, in which case I hope for an apology.

Not holding my breath for either
A front row player from both sides is supposed to make an attempt to strike for the ball in the tunnel, traditionally the hooker but either prop is permitted.
I await yet another apology from yourself!