Saints v Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Saints v Tigers

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

JP14 wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:36 am Worth was in the warm up.
Would like to see Worth given a go at fullback. More composed at the back and has shown last season that he has the pace and handling ability to attack teams. Whilst I do rate Olowofela, see him more of a winger at the moment.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Reported in the Merc:
Manu Tuilagi, Telusa Veainu and Brendon O'Connor are winning their fitness fights ahead of the East Midlands derby.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

ourla wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:36 pm Reported in the Merc:
Manu Tuilagi, Telusa Veainu and Brendon O'Connor are winning their fitness fights ahead of the East Midlands derby.
In other injury news:

Ben White, Sione Kalamafoni, Graham Kitchener, Harry Wells and Gareth Owen all took knocks against Sale Sharks.
Tatafu Polota-Nau is back with the squad but is carrying a hamstring injury. Murphy said the Wallaby front-rower is "touch and go" to face Saints.
Sam Harrison is back to fitness after his head injury, which is timely given that Ben White looks unlikely to feature.
Felipe Ezcurra arrived on Saturday and has been training. "He looks very good." according to Smurf.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

If O’Connor is fit do you sacrifice Kalamafoni to the bench, he deserves the rest mind but crikey he’s been playing well for us.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

JP14 wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:52 pm If O’Connor is fit do you sacrifice Kalamafoni to the bench, he deserves the rest mind but crikey he’s been playing well for us.
No - my backrow would be O'Connor, Kali and Denton.

With regard to Ole, I stand to be corrected in future years but he has an awful lot to learn about the full back role and I am certainly in the camp of "he's a winger". Congrats to the lad but how does he get in the England senior squad?? Am I wrong in thinking that he is in the squad? If so there are a lot of players out there who must be wondering what they have to do to get in the squad.
Hehehehehehehehe
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

trendylfj wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:13 pm With regard to Ole, I stand to be corrected in future years but he has an awful lot to learn about the full back role and I am certainly in the camp of "he's a winger".
He's listed as a Centre on England Rugby and in Wiki as a Centre/Winger so maybe can be forgiven for not performing that well at 15.
trendylfj wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:13 pmCongrats to the lad but how does he get in the England senior squad?? Am I wrong in thinking that he is in the squad? If so there are a lot of players out there who must be wondering what they have to do to get in the squad.
He was in the camp as a result of injuries, etc. I doubt he will be in the squad.

He's a young lad just starting out on his professional career.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Saints have a quick backrow with the likes of Harrison, Gibson etc. Therefore would be tempted to play Thompson and O’Connor together with Denton at 8. Thompson was one of our best players and doesn’t deserve to be dropped.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:50 pm Saints have a quick backrow with the likes of Harrison, Gibson etc. Therefore would be tempted to play Thompson and O’Connor together with Denton at 8. Thompson was one of our best players and doesn’t deserve to be dropped.
Has O'Connor recovered from his injury then?
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Olowofela will learn, personally he’s running at the wrong people at the moment and Tigers need to utilise him more in the wide, open spaces. Not sure if he has the footwork to be a fullback at the moment.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:54 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:50 pm Saints have a quick backrow with the likes of Harrison, Gibson etc. Therefore would be tempted to play Thompson and O’Connor together with Denton at 8. Thompson was one of our best players and doesn’t deserve to be dropped.
Has O'Connor recovered from his injury then?
Yes
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Chobbsy wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:07 pm Who is the ref? do we know yet?
Referee John Paul Doyle with his Assistants? Adam Leal & Roy Maybank TMO Sean Davey.
https://www.planetrugby.com/news/match- ... tober-7-2/
Baz

Post by Baz »

Ref: Chobbsy

"agree, as I said on another topic, it could be embarrassing plus we don't even seem to have 2 fit centres now that Owen went off injured yesterday"

Couldn't agree more; a point I tried to make last season, but was rather pooh-poohed for it.

JP Doyle: arbitrary and inconsistent. I could wish it was some else.
parkerd1968
Tiger Cub

Post by parkerd1968 »

Have I missed something regarding Toomua? TPN was mentioned as possibly carrying an injury, but there was no mention at all of Toomua.
Jacko27

Post by Jacko27 »

Matt Toomua is involved in the final round of the SH internationals next weekend. TPN was left out of Australia's match day squad because of injury concerns, I understand. For that same reason it seems unlikely that he would be a "starter" for Tigers on Saturday.
parkerd1968
Tiger Cub

Post by parkerd1968 »

Ok. Thanks for that. :smt023