Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

WirralExile
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Manu is crocked.... again!

Post by WirralExile »

According to Aunty Beeb: https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/45645409

A few games into the season and our injury count is getting dangerous, yet again.

With regards to Manu, whilst I'd prefer to see the lad back firing on all cylinders and performing as we have seen in seasons gone by, with the passing of each injury spell for him, I can't help feeling that we have already seen the best of him. I feel that was a few seasons back now, notably when he was playing alongside Alex (Alesana) T. He seems to have become more injury prone of late and spends more time away on the physio table and in rehab than game time. I'm not sure how many more seasons/injuries his body can take. On the plus side, this latest set back doesn't seem to be a repeat of a previous one, as far as I know.
Wirral Exile
Same birthplace as Oz, but not quite as lippy!
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Manu is crocked.... again!

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

WirralExile wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:06 pm According to Aunty Beeb: https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/45645409

A few games into the season and our injury count is getting dangerous, yet again.

With regards to Manu, whilst I'd prefer to see the lad back firing on all cylinders and performing as we have seen in seasons gone by, with the passing of each injury spell for him, I can't help feeling that we have already seen the best of him. I feel that was a few seasons back now, notably when he was playing alongside Alex (Alesana) T. He seems to have become more injury prone of late and spends more time away on the physio table and in rehab than game time. I'm not sure how many more seasons/injuries his body can take. On the plus side, this latest set back doesn't seem to be a repeat of a previous one, as far as I know.
Surely if Tigers want to be a great team we need to accept that Manu is going to be a liability fitness wise and issue him a contract that reflects he is no longer a starting XV player or let him go elsewhere.

We need a quality 13 that is going to be available and not on the treatment table. I know we have other players who are the same yet they aren’t the second highest earner at Tigers behind Ford.

Sam James would be a good replacement, always impresses for Sale.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Use Toomua’s cap to get Fekitoa I reckon.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Do we really need this thread?

We don't know what the injury is. Let's just wait and see.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

ourla wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:56 pm Do we really need this thread?

No we don’t it’s another pointless crusade against a bloke that tries his best to stay fit and play well for us, he’ll be back for at Twickenham next week most likely. People just see bad injury record and high salary and just go all guns blazing, it’s definitely not fair on Manu.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

JP14 wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:13 pm
ourla wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:56 pm Do we really need this thread?

No we don’t it’s another pointless crusade against a bloke that tries his best to stay fit and play well for us, he’ll be back for at Twickenham next week most likely. People just see bad injury record and high salary and just go all guns blazing, it’s definitely not fair on Manu.
Is it far? Probably not but that’s professional sports. Especially with the constraints of a salary cap, aren’t people entitled to question what some players are paid and whether that’s good value for money?
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Not a pointless crusade I feel but an attempt to discuss a very relevant issue in a professional sport.
My view is that we should be investing in our future, not in our recent past. I'm often the one who is berated for sentimentality.
The centres have been our faiblesse for a long time. It needs sorting.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

JP14 wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:52 pm Use Toomua’s cap to get Fekitoa I reckon.
I'd rather we stopped spending big money on the backs and started paying some big money on the tight five.

If the Tommy Taylor for TPN rumour is true that's good. If Fitzgerald is off then there's room for a lock in the squad then the Toomua money should be spent on a big unit (like Snyman the Bok). Use the Fitzgerald wage cap to sign a back if we need one.

Manu is a Tiger at heart and I'd like to keep him. He's unfairly maligned for his defence, he is nowhere near our biggest defensive problem.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

If you can tell me how he can defend from the stand I'd be grateful.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Big Dai wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:17 pm If you can tell me how he can defend from the stand I'd be grateful.
Probably about as well as the majority that are on the pitch given last week's performance.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

:smt044
sam16111986 wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:36 pm
Big Dai wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:17 pm If you can tell me how he can defend from the stand I'd be grateful.
Probably about as well as the majority that are on the pitch given last week's performance.
Like!😂😂
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

sam16111986 wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:52 pm
I'd rather we stopped spending big money on the backs and started paying some big money on the tight five.

If the Tommy Taylor for TPN rumour is true that's good. If Fitzgerald is off then there's room for a lock in the squad then the Toomua money should be spent on a big unit (like Snyman the Bok). Use the Fitzgerald wage cap to sign a back if we need one.

Manu is a Tiger at heart and I'd like to keep him. He's unfairly maligned for his defence, he is nowhere near our biggest defensive problem.
Synman, Petti or someone like Mitch Lees he’s a name I mentioned last season. I’d prefer Taylor for Youngs not gonna lie, I’m pretty sure TPN wants to fulfil his contract and give his all.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

JP14 wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:49 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:52 pm

Synman, Petti or someone like Mitch Lees he’s a name I mentioned last season. I’d prefer Taylor for Youngs not gonna lie, I’m pretty sure TPN wants to fulfil his contract and give his all.
Mitch Lees is a good player and a big unit. He'd be a good signing but not at marquee money. He's not international standard. Having said that he'd be available all year round.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Geordie said midweek that Manu was probably to be rested to assist recovery from a knock/slight pull. No big deal, happens to every player - but don't let that stop you'all having your fun.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Listening to the podcast he said it was a "hammy" but they didn't think it was a tear. All a bit vague though.

Said the physio's would shoot him if he said too much.