Tigers v Sale

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Sale

Post by sam16111986 »

Ref was shocking. I suspect Austin picked up on the decisions against Sale in order to avoid the calls of favouritism what with two Tigers in the commentary team. How the ref and his assistant being tackled at the front of our maul as we headed to the try line I don't know.

I agree with much of what was said. I'd only add that I thought Kitchener had one of the best games he's had in a while. Lineout fell apart when he went off and he was industrious in the loose with a rip or two as well.

Interesting that we decided to play through the backs so much. Clearly a tactic to move the big Sale pack around and not run players into their big tacklers all game. Didn't quite work. Owen looked out of position for several backs moves and his excellent break for the try aside was not at his best. Very unlucky to be taken out well beyond the ruck with a cheap shot from a Curry that resulted in his rib injury.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:44 pm Terrible game, terrible officiating, terrible performance, good result.

I like the fact that Geordan is giving youth a go (lack of other options also a factor) even if they make mistakes or don’t quite perform as hoped.

The reason is that we’ve not done it for years and we’ve ended up having to use valuable salary cap on a multitude of transient, average (and worse) journeymen or overseas rubbish that hopefully, given time, the likes of Heyes, Hardwick, White, Lewis, Olowofela, Evans, Simmons etc will take the place of.

Even if they aren’t going to make it as internationals, they will still contribute massively through the season, free up some salary cap and as Exeter find, if they “only” become premiership players, retaining a core group of homegrown players throughout the season isn’t a bad thing for your overall chances.

I reckon the experience that these lads are getting now will benefit Tigers in the long term (hopefully sooner of course) even if we have to accept mistakes and indifferent performances at times.
Yep, probably the most sensible view to take. But the short-term pain cannot be alleviated Sarries old style any more by signing overseas stars at knockdown rates (supposedly)
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:44 pm Terrible game, terrible officiating, terrible performance, good result.

I like the fact that Geordan is giving youth a go (lack of other options also a factor) even if they make mistakes or don’t quite perform as hoped.

The reason is that we’ve not done it for years and we’ve ended up having to use valuable salary cap on a multitude of transient, average (and worse) journeymen or overseas rubbish that hopefully, given time, the likes of Heyes, Hardwick, White, Lewis, Olowofela, Evans, Simmons etc will take the place of.

Even if they aren’t going to make it as internationals, they will still contribute massively through the season, free up some salary cap and as Exeter find, if they “only” become premiership players, retaining a core group of homegrown players throughout the season isn’t a bad thing for your overall chances.

I reckon the experience that these lads are getting now will benefit Tigers in the long term (hopefully sooner of course) even if we have to accept mistakes and indifferent performances at times.
+1 :smt023. Nothing more to be said?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

The result was more important than the performance today...would have taken 3-0 win....performances can be worked on.....losses cannot be changed and ground lost on the top four.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

For me this game just shows how low a club we have become and for me can you blame the players? No, they’ve been massively let down.

Firstly, who in their right mind sacks a coach 1 game into the season? We all know that MOC didn’t work out but why didn’t he get binned end of last season. The players look disjointed but who wouldn’t given the farce in coaching. Sarries and Exeter have had settled coaching setups for years.

This problem is also compounded by the lacklustre recruitment. I highly rate Denton and Spencer but why wasn’t the likes of Haskell snapped up when he was in need of a club. Our strength in depth this season looks awful. This isn’t going to improve with Toomua and TPN leaving end of this season.

Can we beat Saints? Of course they like us are playing awful. For me I feel that if Veainu isn’t fit I’d like to see Worth come in at 15. He has played at this level before and looks more assured. Plus Cole looks like he could do with a rest so let’s see Feao start a game at tighthead and see what he can do.

The only plus sides are the young players coming through. Heyes whilst hasn’t developed in the tight yet has a great work rate and good technique over the ball at the breakdown. Olowofela looks a bit lost at fullback but could be a star in the making on the wing.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Is that the bottom of the barrel?

Post by MrPartridge »

My first game today this season... been going ten years... so not been watching Tigers as long as many on here...

For me I can't see how it can possibly get much worse. We struggled past a very poor Sale side that will do well to stay up... and were outscored 3 tries to 1 in the process. After being taken apart last week by then bottom of the table Worcester.

We could have easily lost that game. I'm sure some will point to the performance of the teenage ref... I thought he cost us a few scrum penalties, but all-in-all it was turgid with the most basic of basic mistakes at times.

I'm not sure where we are headed if I'm honest... OK... Genge, Veianu, Polota-Nau, Toomua, O'Connor, Spencer.... make us better, but when all are back, others will be injured. Murphy and the coaches have some job turning us around.

I can't help feel the recruitment policy has played a big part in the decline... some dunderhead moves in recent years.... we should never have let Goneva go, paying over the odds for Manu and making him and Toomua the two marquee signing was ridiculous, was Slater for May a great move, Ford was a panic signing. Lots of ex-players have performed better away from WR...

We need to get better in a hurry....European Cup and Saracens are coming... from what I saw today, I wouldn't be surprised to see us lose a couple of games before Christmas by 30 and upwards....

One bonus.... I could have done cartwheels on the terrace in the second-half... it was dead...
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

I'd normally watch Tigers on t'internet, but today, thank gawd so it seems, the streaming wasn't working!
But despite conceding three tries and Sale's missed goal kicks, they won. Deservedly/undeservedly, I don't know, but a win is under the belt before the trips to Twickers and to Ulster and then Scarlets at home, a match that I'm going to and hope that some consistency in their game will be found.
So, this narrow, but an important win is something to be built on.
Semper in excretia
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Like. I'll console myself with this view.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Was doing what true Tigers fans will do: was at the game cheering as loudly as possible. We won despite an awful lot of players missing. Ford excellent and White passed very well in one quick movement despite Sale lying on the wrong side. Keys decision to give a penalty against Ford was a nonsense: Sale player steps at least a metre outside the 22 to kick to touch over halfway but not spotted. On the whole, the ref was poor for both teams. Tom Youngs had a good game until injured so v Saints, goodness knows who will be fit to play!
Well done, we won and great effort from those who continue to show their support at matches.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Agree with this.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Ian Cant wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:25 pm Was doing what true Tigers fans will do: was at the game cheering as loudly as possible. We won despite an awful lot of players missing. Ford excellent and White passed very well in one quick movement despite Sale lying on the wrong side. Keys decision to give a penalty against Ford was a nonsense: Sale player steps at least a metre outside the 22 to kick to touch over halfway but not spotted. On the whole, the ref was poor for both teams. Tom Youngs had a good game until injured so v Saints, goodness knows who will be fit to play!
Well done, we won and great effort from those who continue to show their support at matches.
I'm glad that circumstances forced me to be unable to be a true fan today!

I thought Ford was as bad as most others and that kick away that went out on the full was symptomatic of his game, he turned away the usual three pointers on the angle which is a problem given the failure to convert line outs.
White was dithering, great delivery for a young lad but he needs some speedy footwork otherwise he could suffer.
Tom Youngs was the best hooker on the park today, given Webber was the second best I'm not sure what that says!
Shocking match all round from everyone Sale included, the quality was so bad, they are getting worse and a thumping is coming!
Only Owen for me showed any real quality!
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

I honestly think we may have a fight on to stay in the league. We were :censored: awful. If they hadn't had a kicker with two left feet they'd have won. I don't think I've ever seen such low quality fare at WR. The atmosphere was non-existent at times. I was worried before the season started....now I'm really worried.

Ps agree with pretty much everyone about CMK. It's pure guesswork with that guy most of the time. Some of the decisions today were baffling.
Last edited by POSTIGER on Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Doghashadhisday »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:42 pm 3 lineouts, 3 losses for the new hooker. :censored:!
Fourth choice hooker
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Great credit to George Ford for his kick to end the game. Perfectly weighted. Not much good to say about the rest. Poor handling from both sides, really low skill levels on show and very few fluent moves. Defence better but not saying much as the attacking side was weak.Was the win against Newcastle a dead cat bounce?
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Doghashadhisday wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:22 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:42 pm 3 lineouts, 3 losses for the new hooker. :censored:!
Fourth choice hooker
Should be Mahoney or Kerr though!