Gutless tackling is an insult to the Tigers legacy...

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Gutless tackling is an insult to the Tigers legacy...

Post by fortysix »

The appalling seeming lack of committment and feeble attempts are a total disgrace.
How have the Board allowed this facet to continue ??
What on earth are they going to do in the next few weeks to sign a quality operator Defence Coach?
As shown, some of our new signings might be good in certain aspects, but tackling obviously isnt a forte.
We need Smith and Eastmond in the centres, heaven only knows what you do with Tuilagi.
Currently, if he is going to be 12 for England v New Zealand, we will need at least 10 tries !
He really is at the edge of a cliff defensively , and every other Premiership side is targeting him.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: Gutless tackling is an insult to the Tigers legacy...

Post by sapajo »

I do not believe the Board have any intention or desire to sign a defence coach, having sacked MOC they are not going to fork out any more dosh. Remember we currently have an Ex Tiger defence coach so why would the board appoint or need anyone else? :smt017 As for our shambolic, pathetic attempts at tackling, to me it just reeks of a lack of commitment, whereas Worcester were the total opposite.
Last edited by sapajo on Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

You are correct it is the edge of a cliff defensively, he has always been prone to it even in the most rigid of systems but in the current set up he is even more exposed.
MOC clearly wanted more defensive discipline, from what I witnessed with Toomua at 10 and even Harrison at 9 MOC was quite happy for the creativity to prosper off the back of that strong discipline when the time was right to cut loose in matches.
I think MOC has been wronged and was never going to stand a chance without everyone on the same page, loose play is what many wanted and particularly young Mr Ford if the fools on here are to be taken seriously, and loose is what we have now got running right through the team.
The discipline is shocking!
Reminds me of Bath a few seasons ago!
rich1576

Post by rich1576 »

sapajo wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:14 am Remember we currently have an Ex Tiger defence coach so why would the board appoint or need anyone else?
We might have an Ex Tiger defence coach, but if you ain't doing your job then you have to go. The defence is laughable and you can't win by shipping 30-40 points a game.

I realise the board have shelled out to get rid of Matt O'Connor, but they want things to improve they need to put their hands in their pockets again.

I've been hearing for the last two weeks how we must all get behind Geordan at all cost, but that only works if you give him the tools to work with, because ultimately if we keep losing it will be his head on the chopping block.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

BFG wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:17 am You are correct it is the edge of a cliff defensively, he has always been prone to it even in the most rigid of systems but in the current set up he is even more exposed.
MOC clearly wanted more defensive discipline, from what I witnessed with Toomua at 10 and even Harrison at 9 MOC was quite happy for the creativity to prosper off the back of that strong discipline when the time was right to cut loose in matches.
I think MOC has been wronged and was never going to stand a chance without everyone on the same page, loose play is what many wanted and particularly young Mr Ford if the fools on here are to be taken seriously, and loose is what we have now got running right through the team.
The discipline is shocking!
Reminds me of Bath a few seasons ago!
Under O'Connor our defence leaked like a sieve and we couldn't score! (Run at the opposition tackler, get nowhere and then kick it away)
The key difference is that under Murphy's brief regime we are at least scoring points.
There is no incompatibility between a miserly defence when we don't have the ball and attacking space when we do.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Whilst some of the individual effort was well below par what I did notice was the lack of a defensive system / organisation that was understood by those playing.

On a number of occasions a Worcester player went through a gap between two Tigers both of whom were close enough to have tackled him but didn't attempt to until he was past them. Having witnessed yesterday's fightback and the way we played with 14 men against Wasps, I cannot believe this is down to lack of commitment or laziness so I have to conclude it's down to confusion about who's supposed to be doing what. I also have to say that on more than one occasion Holmes had drifted in field allowing an overlap and resultant tries. To me this is further evidence of a lack of organisation.

We are supposed to have a dedicated defence coach in Brett Deacon. I hope that defence is his sole preoccupation and he is not being pulled away to assist with other matters. Because given our dire performance yesterday it needs to be. Decisions need to be quickly made, coimmunciated and bought into as to which type of defensive system we are operating (drift, rush, scramble etc), what the appropriate player positioning is to operate the chosen system effectively (e.g. no dog legs, reckless rushing out of the line etc), what indivdual player responsibilities are within the system and who, like Antony Allen used to be, is the on-field defensive leader / organiser.

I'm a realist so I don't expect everything to fixed for the Sale game but I would like to think we can at least see enough improvement to stop them cutting us to pieces every time they attack like Worcester did.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Apologies if I’m wrong but I thought Brett Deacon was listed as break down coach.

Tuilagi is the issue as he tends to do his own thing. Unsure how bad the injury is but would go with Eastmond and Owen for the next couple of weeks until Toomua is back to give some organisation.

If the board are serious about the rugby moving forward they need to throw the bucks at joe worsley as Sanderson will never leave Saracens
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

rich1576 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:45 pm
sapajo wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:14 am Remember we currently have an Ex Tiger defence coach so why would the board appoint or need anyone else?
We might have an Ex Tiger defence coach, but if you ain't doing your job then you have to go. The defence is laughable and you can't win by shipping 30-40 points a game.
Agreed I was being sarcastic, as you know every coach we have (4) apart from Mark Bakewell is an ex Tiger!!! Frankly, in my opinion therein lies the problem. Being an Ex Tiger should not mean a guaranteed coaching position at Tigers at the end of your career. Its arrogant and cretinous to believe it automatically makes them a good coach.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Mark62 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:29 pm Apologies if I’m wrong but I thought Brett Deacon was listed as break down coach.
Sadly you are wrong, Deacon took on defence responsibilities post the sacking of MOC.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

sapajo wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:38 pm
Mark62 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:29 pm Apologies if I’m wrong but I thought Brett Deacon was listed as break down coach.
Sadly you are wrong, Deacon took on defence responsibilities post the sacking of MOC.
Thanks Sapajo
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

rich1576 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:45 pm

I realise the board have shelled out to get rid of Matt O'Connor, but they want things to improve they need to put their hands in their pockets again.

I've been hearing for the last two weeks how we must all get behind Geordan at all cost, but that only works if you give him the tools to work with, because ultimately if we keep losing it will be his head on the chopping block.
It might take time for Murphy to get his full message across. He knows that defending like that was unacceptable and his comments after the game do more than hint at that. The board should be discussing the coaching staff with him, if he wants a defence coach then we should be looking to bring one in.

We need some consistency in charge of the first team and Murphy is the man the board are backing. MOC was in an untenable position. Unfortunately we might have to be a little patient.