Coaching Staff

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Coaching Staff

Post by sam16111986 »

fortysix wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:21 pm If one man continually charges out of line like a demented lunatic, how on earth are we ever going to be able to sustain a defensive line.
Pointed out time and again by Healey and Co, but every fricking match, the same thing happens..
Result 40 points against..
That's not even the problem. That's how bad the defence is.

The first Worcester try they run straight between Kalamafoni and Denton and they don't lay a hand on him. Second try Bateman leaves a massive gap between himself and Thompson which Worcester run through with ease. The communication and organisation is terrible and were so flat footed that we can't react to a late pass on the line. Third try and Holmes misses a one on one cover tackle. The last try and we have three defenders all stood behind each other, the last in the queue is Denton, why in the earth he's standing behind Ford and White when there's three players outside him I have no idea. Either drag the backs out or take responsibility and fill the line.
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

fortysix wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:21 pm If one man continually charges out of line like a demented lunatic, how on earth are we ever going to be able to sustain a defensive line.
Pointed out time and again by Healey and Co, but every match, the same thing happens..
Result 40 points against..
And that one man is usually Manu T.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

I know that’s the standard line on this forum Coops - and I reckon it has a little credibility when he’s first returning from injury (so quite often really!) and trying too hard or just lacking match nous but actually Vs Warriors it simply wasn’t true.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Grimlish wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:04 pm I know that’s the standard line on this forum Coops - and I reckon it has a little credibility when he’s first returning from injury (so quite often really!) and trying too hard or just lacking match nous but actually Vs Warriors it simply wasn’t true.
Agreed.

A strong communicator is needed at 12 to keep talking to Manu and hold him in check. Ant Allen demonstrated what was possible in this respect when he was Tigers defensive organiser. I'm sure it will be one of the things that Brett Deacon will be building into his defensive system.

Geordan made what I consider to be a valid point on Wednesday night's Leicester Tigers Rugby Show on Radio Leicester. He pointed out that Brett did not have the benefit of a pre-season with the players to put over his defensive plans and is therefore playing catch up. We have to give him time.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Defence will improve when Toomua returns.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
WirralExile
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by WirralExile »

I guess it will, but I'd prefer an overall defensive shift and "coach" players not to step away from the ball carrier as we have seen so much of this season.

Also, whilst Toomua may bring an improvement to the defence when he returns from duties with Aus, he won't be with us after this season so every other player needs to step up their defensive game.
Wirral Exile
Same birthplace as Oz, but not quite as lippy!
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Brett Deacon is the right man says Geordan.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/spor ... er-2048561
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

We should give him a good chance to be honest, people are quick to forget how good our defence was under him during the run in of 16/17.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Pretty sure someone is pulling my old man's leg, but he's just been told by a fellow STH that Mallinder is coming in after the Saints game. Anyone else heard this?
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

TTRITH wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:40 pm Pretty sure someone is pulling my old man's leg, but he's just been told by a fellow STH that Mallinder is coming in after the Saints game. Anyone else heard this?
Be better than Murphy, at least he has some coaching credentials!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

TTRITH wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:40 pm Pretty sure someone is pulling my old man's leg, but he's just been told by a fellow STH that Mallinder is coming in after the Saints game. Anyone else heard this?
Not heard it, I heard people saying that he might be coming after he was spotted at a Tigers A game but people seemed to not realise that Harry was playing for the Saints A team at the time.

But as a DOR I wouldn't be too upset, wouldn't have him in a coaching role but in a non palying admin role like Glynn I think would be acceptable.

He did a good job at pinching the young up and coming players for his time as England U18 coach for Saints, and having come of the back of being the U18 coach in the summer could be in the same position to do the same now.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote=TTRITH post_id=698024 time=1538318436 user_id=6281]
Pretty sure someone is pulling my old man's leg, but he's just been told by a fellow STH that Mallinder is coming in after the Saints game. Anyone else heard this?
[/quote]

I can't recall exactly when it was, but several years back, before his Saints stint, I recall that Mallinder was shortlisted by Tigers.
Not that that necessarily supports anything now, of course
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I think Betts is still on the line 👀.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Cockers fires warnings to Murphy over Leicester job:

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/exclusiv ... cester-job
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote=strawclearer post_id=698265 time=1538509601 user_id=9931]
Cockers fires warnings to Murphy over Leicester job:

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/exclusiv ... cester-job
[/quote]

So who's doing the interfering? Cohen? Glynn? Kay/Underwood? Tom? A combination of all?

As Cockers says Tigers need some stability, and Murphy needs to be given adequate support. Let's hope so!