Spencer banned for four weeks

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: Spencer banned for four weeks

Post by Mark62 »

It was interesting to hear on the match coverage tonight Ally Hogg and Kay saying that if anything thevtackle legislation is in place to keep the tackler safe at least as much as the tacklee.

Also really good demonstration from Ben Kay on how in the way modern defensive lines are coached it isn’t just a matter of the tackler going lower as he also could have to jam in or sprint out to help his team mates and going lower gives a greater risk of being caught flat footed and being out of the game
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Interesting to see that Veainu isn't playing this week after failing an HIA. I wonder if players kicking the ball which hits someone's head will get punished with a red card?

It seems more damage has been done from the kicked ball hitting Veainu than Spencer's tackle on Taylor.
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

ellis9 wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:39 pm Interesting to see that Veainu isn't playing this week after failing an HIA. I wonder if players kicking the ball which hits someone's head will get punished with a red card?

It seems more damage has been done from the kicked ball hitting Veainu than Spencer's tackle on Taylor.
Good point, I am sure it was reckless not accidental, to kick the ball into Veainu's face :smt018
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

BengalTiger wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:11 am
ellis9 wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:39 pm Interesting to see that Veainu isn't playing this week after failing an HIA. I wonder if players kicking the ball which hits someone's head will get punished with a red card?

Good point, I am sure it was reckless not accidental, to kick the ball into Veainu's face :smt018
I suspect without knowing it that's exactly the type of ammunition you offer on a platter to those who would like to turn the sport into something that looks like the NFL.
Be careful what you wish for!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I haven't wished for it. Far from it.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

No but you are only offering up more ammunition Ellis.
I don't believe that he would've got four weeks had they only worked with the system rather than against it.
On the tackle law it's not ideal in my opinion, one inch of error space is all that stands between nothing and a red card but I think they are trailing a tackle law being below/above the armpits, this would be better and give the players that few inches required below the head for human error.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

BFG wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:46 am No but you are only offering up more ammunition Ellis.
I don't believe that he would've got four weeks had they only worked with the system rather than against it.
On the tackle law it's not ideal in my opinion, one inch of error space is all that stands between nothing and a red card but I think they are trailing a tackle law being below/above the armpits, this would be better and give the players that few inches required below the head for human error.
Oh of course, I forgot World Rugby read this forum and amend the laws from what we say!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

ellis9 wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:12 am
BFG wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:46 am No but you are only offering up more ammunition Ellis.
Oh of course, I forgot World Rugby read this forum and amend the laws from what we say!
No they are already trialing it this season.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

BFG wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:15 am
ellis9 wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:12 am
No they are already trialing it this season.
Yes I know but I mentioned how kicks might have to be banned and you said be careful what you wish for.
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

interesting piece by Ben Kay in today's Times about this issue.
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

Watching Sale - Wasps, numerous high tickles waved through by Barnes because the player was ducking... :smt017
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

daktari wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:25 pm Watching Sale - Wasps, numerous high tickles waved through by Barnes because the player was ducking... :smt017
MacGinty’s is obvious in real time whereas Taylor wasn’t.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

O/T in terms of high tackles, but on the subject of clarity and consistency, would someone explain what merits a yellow card when a player deliberately knocks on when defending?
Freddie Burns had an interesting game in Bath's narrow win over Saints yesterday - scored an intercept try, involved in another try, but erratic kicking from the tee (missed two very kickable attempts), and towards the end, when Saints were pushing, he was pinged for a blatant, one-handed knock on. Penalty awarded, but no yellow card. Now I've seen players given cards in very similar circumstances. Otherwise, I thought ref Dickson was okay.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

There have still been a quite a few penalties given over the weekend for very innocuous high tackles many of the seat belt type that seem to be a direct result of the Spencer red card.

Player safety must be paramount but some of these are frankly a lot less dangerous than a legitimate shot into the rib cage.

I hope this trial in the championship cup is a success and then a definitive line of under the arm pits can be introduced to world rugby
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

The RFU have now published the judgement on the red card to Will Spencer at the Ricoh.
Wasps stated "there was no adverse injury to Tommy Taylor"
Whereas Tommy Taylor himself in a written statement " I felt he made contact on my shoulder, felt NOTHING higher!" I have drawn my own conclusion - Guilty from the "Suits!" until proved innocent after the sentence has been served. - Tigers did not appeal.
- https://www.englandrugby.com/mm/Documen ... nglish.pdf