Tigers v Warriors

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Tigers v Warriors

Post by Stephen18 »

I think we should be starting as strong a team as possible, I don’t think any team can be under estimated in this league now, and clearly the players need to get their match fitness up having come in under cooked. With Spencer out I would start wells although I don’t know if either him or Williams are line out callers. I personally would like to see Holmes come in for Thompstone, as I think we need to start playing him or we’ll lose him at the end of the season, although I can live with olowofela starting to see what he can do given more time.
Bateman
Youngs
Cole
Williams
Wells
Denton
Thompson
Kalamafoni
Youngs
May
Ford
Eastmond (if fit Owen if not)
Tuilagi
Holmes
Veainu

Nau (if back Stevens if not)
Feao
Heyes or facundo
Kitchener or Fitzgerald if fit (mapapalangi if not covering 2nd row and back row)
Simmons (I prefer him to White who seems the same player a Youngs)
Hardwick
Owen
Olowofela
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Stephen18 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:28 am I think we should be starting as strong a team as possible, I don’t think any team can be under estimated in this league now, and clearly the players need to get their match fitness up having come in under cooked. With Spencer out I would start wells although I don’t know if either him or Williams are line out callers. I personally would like to see Holmes come in for Thompstone, as I think we need to start playing him or we’ll lose him at the end of the season, although I can live with olowofela starting to see what he can do given more time.
Bateman
Youngs
Cole
Williams
Wells
Denton
Thompson
Kalamafoni
Youngs
May
Ford
Tuilagi
Holmes
Veainu

Feao
Heyes or facundo
Kitchener or Fitzgerald if fit (mapapalangi if not covering 2nd row and back row)
Hardwick
Owen
Olowofela
A similar player to Youngs? He has an excellent career ahead of him then.
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

ellis9 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:32 am
Stephen18 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:28 am I think we should be starting as strong a team as possible, I don’t think any team can be under estimated in this league now, and clearly the players need to get their match fitness up having come in under cooked. With Spencer out I would start wells although I don’t know if either him or Williams are line out callers. I personally would like to see Holmes come in for Thompstone, as I think we need to start playing him or we’ll lose him at the end of the season, although I can live with olowofela starting to see what he can do given more time.
Bateman
Youngs
Cole
Williams
Wells
Denton
Thompson
Kalamafoni
Youngs
May
Ford
Tuilagi
Holmes
Veainu

Feao
Heyes or facundo
Hardwick
Owen
Olowofela
A similar player to Youngs? He has an excellent career ahead of him then.
Hopefully yes but of the bench I think you want something different to change the game a bit.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

I imagine if Eastmond is fit, he’ll go straight to 12 with Owen dropping out the 23. Sounds harsh but Hardwick and Olowfela can cover more positions off the bench.

Hoping Holmes is at 14. Plus I imagine Fitzgerald and Williams will be the second row pairing, they have played together there beginning of 2017 season I think.
Clowbeck
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Clowbeck »

Is this weekend's game being televised? I'm away but was hoping to watch in a boozer in York...doesnt look like BT are showing it.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Clowbeck wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:22 pm Is this weekend's game being televised? I'm away but was hoping to watch in a boozer in York...doesnt look like BT are showing it.
not sure but they do an extended highlights show that starts at 12:30 on a sunday
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Reckon it will be the same Starting XV with Wells for Williams
and a bench of
16. TPN
17. Faeo
18. Heyes
19. Voss
20. Lewis
21. White
22. Toomua
23. Olowofela
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

ourla wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:36 pm

TBP before half time and then bring on the kids?
Even with a bad start, the disaster of a result against Worcester at Home arguably cost us the play offs last season. Strongest 23 available I think. If that includes youngsters, good.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Did those calling for Thompstone to be dropped (as opposed to being injured) actually watch the Wasps match? Holmes will get his chance, but I suspect being similar in style to May (as opposed to the different stuff you get from Thompstone) he’ll be waiting to the international periods or when May needs a break.

Thompstone isn’t our record starting Premiership wing for nothing...
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:24 pm Did those calling for Thompstone to be dropped (as opposed to being injured) actually watch the Wasps match? Holmes will get his chance, but I suspect being similar in style to May (as opposed to the different stuff you get from Thompstone) he’ll be waiting to the international periods or when May needs a break.

the fact he's been here longer than most is the reason for that
ghdav27

Post by ghdav27 »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:24 pm Did those calling for Thompstone to be dropped (as opposed to being injured) actually watch the Wasps match? Holmes will get his chance, but I suspect being similar in style to May (as opposed to the different stuff you get from Thompstone) he’ll be waiting to the international periods or when May needs a break.

I agree Thompstone had a good game on Saturday but whenever Holmes played last season he was excellent. I know people go on about Thompstones defence but I'm not sure we actually concede more points when he doesn't play and I can't remember Holmes leaving us exposed.

Hence why to me it seems strange Holmes doesn't get more opportunities!
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

A lot of supporters are amazed that we dont select Holmes.
The guy is the nearest thing to a try scoring machine, like Wade or Ashton.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:29 pm

the fact he's been here longer than most is the reason for that
Yep. And there’s a reason he has: he’s good, and very underrated. :smt001
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

fortysix wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:28 pm A lot of supporters are amazed that we dont select Holmes.
The guy is the nearest thing to a try scoring machine, like Wade or Ashton.
Apart from Jonny May, who’s a bit of a try scoring machine.

Holmes’ chance will come.
I know people go on about Thompstones defence but I'm not sure we actually concede more points when he doesn't play and I can't remember Holmes leaving us exposed.

Hence why to me it seems strange Holmes doesn't get more opportunities!
It’s not necessarily defence but the all-round nature of his game; his ability and physicality around the field, at the breakdown etc. He’s no slouch in front of the tryline either. I just think a back three of Thompstone/TV/May is probably the most balanced in terms of bringing different things to the party. Olowofela is becoming invaluable on the bench due to his versatility across the outside-back line.
Last edited by Hot_Charlie on Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Clowbeck wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:22 pm Is this weekend's game being televised? I'm away but was hoping to watch in a boozer in York...doesnt look like BT are showing it.
BT showing Saracens Vs Gloucester on Sunday - which is the tastier tie at present to be fair.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.