Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Warriors

Post by RagingBull »

LE18 wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:56 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:46 pm
LE18 wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:37 pm Did our team selection show enough respect to Warriors, or are we plagued with injuries and suspensions? Our bench selection was so weak today, it didn't look like anyone could be called a "finisher", (but White and Eastmond did provide some spark).
I thought Eastmond should have started, even if he got injured then we would have had Owen to complete the match, as it was the sub got crocked and we couldn't replace him, oh yes we could have, we replaced Manu with Joe Ford, what a farce! no wonder we could not hold onto the draw! Smithy would have made a far better sub, why bench Ford and not Smith? I think we are getting desperate, where are players individual skills, catching etc, tackling, line speed included, the current coaches seem incapable of coaching the obvious basics.
Oh dear oh dear where are we going? :smt017 (How did a prop sub get crocked in half time warm up?) Looks like we will be struggling next week to field 23 fit players.
Smith injured.
Smith was involved in the warm up before the kick off. I've never been a great fan, but I have in the past acknowledged his commitment and his tackling ability, as for Joe Ford, well anyone is better.
Warming up doesn’t mean fit though
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

ellis9 wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:45 pm
kpj tiger wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:24 pm
ellis9 wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:11 pm For those of you who don't rate Ben Youngs and says he offers slow service, you will have seen today what slow service really looks like when Ben White came on.
I'd have said White's service was faster than BY's today, that said I agree White isn't renowned for the speed of his service
Good God! Really? He slowed it right down!

People really do have tinted glasses on regarding Youngs.
I'm not a fanatical BY fan, just saying it as I saw it today
Tigers1213

Post by Tigers1213 »

Ben Youngs taking alot of heat.
How is leaking 44 points at home the scrum halfs fault?
Quick ball comes from winning collisions which just didn’t happen. When Tigers play bad it seems to always be the Youngs brothers fault mmmmm
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

You don't need to be a fanatical Youngs fans to see White was slower!
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Oh great !!!! it just gets worse :(

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/45622003
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Chobbsy wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:53 am Oh great !!!! it just gets worse :(

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/45622003
According to some on here Ben Youngs won't be missed. Some even thought White sped the game up when he came on! :smt043
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

wormus wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:03 am
Yes Marketing??? The CAT/H&B, Nottingham & A&L or what stands? were very empty and the hospitality in the H&B sparse too. I do not know the official audience but the reality was a very low attendance.
So much for Sundays and Club Marketing priority.
18,000 or just over I heard as we were walking out.

LCFC were at home on Saturday so suspect there was a clash and someone had to move. No other reason for it as it wasn't a televised match.
Last edited by Coops on Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:18 pm Youngs and Tuilagi out of English training squad Olowefela in
I actually thought this was a joke!
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

northerntiger wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:58 am
Mark62 wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:18 pm Youngs and Tuilagi out of English training squad Olowefela in
I actually thought this was a joke!
It's a training squad and nothing else. Gives EJ a chance to look at players ahead of him announcing the full autumn international squad IMO
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Coops wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:57 am
wormus wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:03 am
Yes Marketing??? The CAT/H&B, Nottingham & A&L or what stands? were very empty and the hospitality in the H&B sparse too. I do not know the official audience but the reality was a very low attendance.
So much for Sundays and Club Marketing priority.
18,000 or just over I heard as we were walking out.

LCFC were at home on Saturday so suspect there was a clash and someone had to move. No other reason for it as it wasn't a televised match.
Correct. Leicester City were at home on Saturday so one of us had to move. It was our turn to move.
Last edited by ellis9 on Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I think twittering about the service of Youngs is an irrelevance.

We lost, not because of slow service from the breakdown but because we offered no meaningful defence.
Every time they got the ball we conceded 40 or 50 metres. Huge gaps in the middle and tackling like skinny kid at PE who is only playing because he's forced to.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

VernonAtrium wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:17 pm I'm not a fan of shooting the messenger, usually, but I will make an exception, in the case of the OP.
Ah, so it's my fault is it :smt002 :smt003 :smt007

Haven't seen the game but read this thread and the match feed. Sounds like a horror show on the tackling front in the main. I agree that Worcester aren't that bad and they would have come with licence to just give it a go. So if you miss tackles, you are going to ship tries.

Positives, sounds like the line out and scrum generally decent, G Ford in great form, new signings Denton and Thompson good.

It's a shame to see all the good will directed at Murphy, dissapate rapidly. People complain rugby is becoming like football. Well, here's news for you. It already is, in this respect at least. For me, this one is squarely on the players. No Prem coach should need to teach the basics of tackling and D to pro's of several seasons standing.

Looks like Ben Youngs and Manu will be missing next week so it's going to be backs against the wall. Who knows how we'll perform. At the moment it's erratic and inconsistent.
Christophelp

Post by Christophelp »

Grimlish wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:41 pm Sure a defence system would be an idea, but no coach expects their players to wave through the opposition and point the way though to the try line, while barely making a show of 'tackling'.

We only seemed to start playing after Tom's apparent misthrow at the lineout costed us a try. Was that a mistaken call? The jumpers were nowhere to be seen. Seemed to spark an angry reaction - why does it take that to even start playing? Sure we then went on a run, but my oh my the brain-f**ts came back for their winning try, again gifting a turnover. So 4 of their 6 were giveaways - unbelievable.
From my (relatively uneducated) eye from the RHS it appeared that the throw was fine; that Williams had manoeuvred himself in position to catch the ball but the lift went (badly) wrong. Williams ended up with one leg high in the air whilst falling onto his backside.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

No but it's always Tom Youngs' fault. The experts on here say so. :smt023
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Not acceptable in any way shape or form - we should be winning home games against mid-lower table teams regardless of whats gone on in the background in recent weeks and longer.

That said, I am rapidly thinking we are where we are and that if we finish 7-9th we'll probably be doing about par because of poor appointments and recruitment that has ultimately led to the changes to personnel, coaches and systems every 12 months for the past 3-4 years. If by some miracle GM gets something to click defensively whilst still scoring tries then that may mean 5th - 6th but the top 4 are far better than us and will be for a while.

Not easy to swallow but short of miracles we are going to be a mid table team for the next few years until a core can be developed that buys into a system, culture, identity etc which allows us to create a platform from which we can build.

I'd give it to GM to try and see it through but if we have another change in coach/DoR in the summer 2019 then it'll no doubt add to the time we are developing the above.

The fault lies in allowing previous DoR/Head Coaches to oversee the gradual decline of a top end European squad since 2010 and then replacing coaches annually with poor appointment after poor appointment (Burke, Hansen, Mauger (perhaps slightly unfair?), Blake, O'Connor etc).

Here's hoping that GM and Bakewell aren't 2 more to add to that list and that the likes of Deacon and Allen can (in time) step up to 1st XV standard even if external coaches are also brought in.