Re: Tigers v Warriors

Post by Bundy »

GEORGE CHUTER!!!!
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

GEORGE CHUTER, WHAT ANOTHER EX TIGER, ridiculous in the extreme.
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

Was at the game. The ref/TMO consistency was an absolute disgrace.

1) George Ford is currently keeping us afloat - although he needs to learn from Duncan Weir on the kickoff front.
2) Jordan wasn't good enough at the back a couple of good tackles but refused to run - whats the deal with putting a serious speedster on the pitch who calls a mark and makes a hash of it or passes it to someone else instead of taking it forward.
3) on the subject of taking it forward one pass crash ball HAS to stop. We are more predictable than a very predictable thing - they have to mix it up.
4) YBY needs to stay on the bench and understand speed at breakdown is his responsibility - Ben White changed up the game and that's when we started getting points on the board.
5) The Worcester defense was VERY good, although frequently offside from the breakdown. Their scrum was there for the taking - we got given a free kick off not keeping the gap at the lineout, 10m out, we should have taken the scrum and turned the screw - a yellow was there for the earning had we kept on at it.
6) Get a proper defence coach, we can't keep moving in a disjointed line, teams are turning up with a simple loaded overlay and getting through EVERY time.
7) Get a leader - Tom just isn't doing enough - I mist admit I was VERY impressed with Guy Thomson's constant chat to the scrum, the constant encouragement and the sheer desire to get a result - he showed his passion at Wasps last week in a surprising way - he really should be captain and get the chat going. Let Tom go back to the basics.

Overall I was impressed in the way they stayed in there - lots to change, lots to improve but opportunity is there. Just needs some definitive decision and action from the coaching staff and players.
Grumpy of Crumbie

Post by Grumpy of Crumbie »

Interesting that everyone thinks a defence coach is a priority. It probably is but don't overlook attack. We went through phases today but made hardly a yard in comparison to Worcester who seemed to make ground at will.

Yes we have scored a lot of points but mainly later in the game when we are playing catch up and arguably the opposition have taken their foot of the gas.

Today is one of the worst days I've had at Welford Road and there's been some bad ones over the last two or three years. What I don't know is how much is coaching and how much is players. With British Lions and internationals on the pitch you would hope things could be changed if plan A isn't working but throughout the game we persisted in playing a flat ball giving quality players no opportunity to take the ball in space with an opportunity to beat their opponent. Worcester played deeper and caused us huge problems when taking the ball at pace with room to move. Only when desperation set in when we trailed by 30 points did we start to give the ball to players in space with an opportunity to show their quality. To the point where we almost nicked an incredible and undeserved win.

I wish Geordy all the best but I think he'll need a massive amount of the luck of the Irish to turn this around.......dire!!!
If you don't go in hard it's not a tackle it's an insult.
Louis

Post by Louis »

George Chuter? The man with the smallest face in the world and all round lovely bloke? What about him?
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Man for man, we appeared to have the strongest side on paper, but we just don't appear have the structure/gameplan in place to deliver. Are the big names performing?
I know you have to allow Murphy time to impart his ideas, but it's not like he's coming in cold, he already knows the players and setup.
Are the forwards performing? Defence definitely looks a major flaw at the minute.
We need recreate the cohesiveness, self belief and sheer will/ability to dominate that we had during the Johnno era, the same mentality that Exeter and Sarries currently have now. Maybe we need to go back a few steps to put the right foundations back in place, get a coaching setup that can deliver, and then a mouldable young squad rather than continue the same old churn.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:15 pm Man for man, we appeared to have the strongest side on paper, but we just don't appear have the structure/gameplan in place to deliver. Are the big names performing?
I know you have to allow Murphy time to impart his ideas, but it's not like he's coming in cold, he already knows the players and setup.
Are the forwards performing? Defence definitely looks a major flaw at the minute.
We need recreate the cohesiveness, self belief and sheer will/ability to dominate that we had during the Johnno era, the same mentality that Exeter and Sarries currently have now. Maybe we need to go back a few steps to put the right foundations back in place, get a coaching setup that can deliver, and then a mouldable young squad rather than continue the same old churn.
and what setup is that the one where we have been playing like pants for the last 18 months?
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:38 pm Murphy needs to decide if he is sticking with his friend Brett or looking for an experience defence coach.

And he will be judged on it because 100% he won't keep the top job if the defence does not start to tighten up.
IMO both should go now. A total fresh set of ideas is needed to turn this club around.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Grannyman

Post by Grannyman »

What about George Chuter?
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

DaveRave wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:16 pm 5th Worcester try.
An absolute shambles.
Appalling officiating. Weir was down receiving treatment centre field and Mills positioned himself behind them to receive the ball to clear. No way the defence could pressurise him and he makes 50m to give us a defensive line out, which we make a hash of.

Twice today injured players directly affected the ball in play and players around it. Neither time did Pearce appear to consider stopping the game.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

TigerCam wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:24 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:38 pm Murphy needs to decide if he is sticking with his friend Brett or looking for an experience defence coach.

And he will be judged on it because 100% he won't keep the top job if the defence does not start to tighten up.
IMO both should go now. A total fresh set of ideas is needed to turn this club around.
all well and good saying both should go now.

But who would you bring in?
Not like there is a line of top coaches without a job waiting about.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

I am a self-confessed 'Happy Clapper'.

Smurf asked for the crowd to turn up and be the 16th man. The crowd duly obliged - we shouted ourselves senseless in the Crumbie. Bottom line - we turned up, the players didn't.

There is no point singling out individual players either for praise or for censure (although I was particularly disappointed in our 'senior players'). It's a team game - you win or lose as a XV.

That was an embarrassing shambles. Attack - pass:crash, pass:crash, pass:drop. Defence - laughable, disjointed, disorganised. Leadership - none.

Truly, truly pathetic.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Disappointing from Leicester again and not to even be able to hold out at 37-37 against Worcester at Welford Road is not great.
You can't have mates as coaches in my opinion, how on earth they are supposed to get a dressing down after that I do not know.
It's almost become calamitous.
I remember Brendan Venter arriving at Sarries and soon after culling those 18 players, something similar required here.
Leicester requires a new man of that type from completely outside the Leicester bubble, in sole charge to stand and fall by his own decisions and pick his own team of coaches and players, a man of the right calibre will require that control.
Talk of Sarries building around home grown players when Venter arrived is total tosh as I recall a side packed with South Africans and recruits such as Borthwick from Bath, Brown from Galsgow, Vyvian from Newcastle, Botha from Bedford, Wigglesworth from Sale, Strettle from Quins etc.
There were very few home grown players at that time, maybe Farrell, George, Goode being the only survivors.
The proper coach will keep the right quality and the rest will go!
I'm not sure Leicester are brave enough to go outside of their comfort zone enough to achieve this!
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Serious lack of leadership on the field. In the past, if it was going wrong, the likes of Jonno, Cozza, Kay, Geordan and even guys like Toby Flood took charge if it was going wrong and were like the on-field coaches. We just don't have that now. I'd say Ford brings that and Thompson seems a good talker but very few do. Easy for me to say but I think the club need to put sentiment to one side and appoint a new captain. I just don't think TY has it in him to be a great captain, sorry.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

POSTIGER wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:49 pm Serious lack of leadership on the field. In the past, if it was going wrong, the likes of Jonno, Cozza, Kay, Geordan and even guys like Toby Flood took charge if it was going wrong and were like the on-field coaches. We just don't have that now. I'd say Ford brings that and Thompson seems a good talker but very few do. Easy for me to say but I think the club need to put sentiment to one side and appoint a new captain. I just don't think TY has it in him to be a great captain, sorry.
I don't disagree but who in that squad does?