Tigers to be crowned Premiership Champions?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ellis9
Super User
Super User

Tigers to be crowned Premiership Champions?

Post by ellis9 »

An interesting stat from Stu Farmer:

The only other time that Leicester Tigers have conceded 40 points in round 1 of the league or the Premiership was when they lost 24-46 at at Saints in 1999/2000. That also placed them in 12th after the opening round, however the following May they were crowned CHAMPIONS!

We couldn't could we? :smt047
ourla
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers to be crowned Premiership Champions?

Post by ourla »

Jeez that sounds desperate.

Looking at how Chiefs and Saracens are playing at the minute - and to be fair for quite some time now - no.

TBH, talk of winning things is secondary right now. We have to try and get back to be the third best team first. Starting tomorrow.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

ourla wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:10 pm Jeez that sounds desperate.

Looking at how Chiefs and Saracens are playing at the minute - and to be fair for quite some time now - no.

TBH, talk of winning things is secondary right now. We have to try and get back to be the third best team first. Starting tomorrow.
Not quite. We need to get back to being the best team. That means making sure we finish in the top 4 (preferably top 2) after 22 matches and then winning 2 matches after that.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

If we're honest with ourselves no, no we can't. Chiefs and Sarries are just too good. I'll be happy if we use this season to blood some youngsters, get a proper defensive coach and end up hopefully near the play-offs.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:58 am If we're honest with ourselves no, no we can't. Chiefs and Sarries are just too good. I'll be happy if we use this season to blood some youngsters, get a proper defensive coach and end up hopefully near the play-offs.
Desperately need that like or agree button
Smudger67S
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Smudger67S »

Rearrange the words to form a famous saying.

STRAWS AT CLUTCHING.
If at first you don't succeed .............. then skydiving isnt for you!!!!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Smudger67S wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:54 pm Rearrange the words to form a famous saying.

STRAWS AT CLUTCHING.
Errrrrmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm............ :smt017 :smt017 :smt017
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

Smudger67S wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:54 pm Rearrange the words to form a famous saying.

STRAWS AT CLUTCHING.
Well when I do crosswords, Rearrange usually means irs an anagram, so with the power of the internet...

Clawing Cat Truths, seems quite fitting, or...
Carnal Twitch Gusts, seems quite disturbing, but depending on how our returning Australian Hooker styles his hair, Ill go for...

Watching Tat’s Curls
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

ellis9 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:13 am We need to get back to being the best team.
We don't need to, we want to. But pedanticism aside, I thought the question was whether we could be champions this season? I merely offered an opinion on us doing that.
ellis9 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:13 amThat means making sure we finish in the top 4 (preferably top 2) after 22 matches and then winning 2 matches after that.
Thanks for explaining the rules of the competition.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

ellis9 wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:36 pm An interesting stat from Stu Farmer:

The only other time that Leicester Tigers have conceded 40 points in round 1 of the league or the Premiership was when they lost 24-46 at at Saints in 1999/2000. That also placed them in 12th after the opening round, however the following May they were crowned CHAMPIONS!

We couldn't could we? :smt047
Ask Mystic Meg - she knows?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

ourla wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:14 am
ellis9 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:13 am We need to get back to being the best team.
We don't need to, we want to. But pedanticism aside, I thought the question was whether we could be champions this season? I merely offered an opinion on us doing that.
ellis9 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:13 amThat means making sure we finish in the top 4 (preferably top 2) after 22 matches and then winning 2 matches after that.
Thanks for explaining the rules of the competition.
So did I.

My reasoning for explaining the rules as you put it is because you said "starting tomorrow". My point is that so long as we are in the top 4 after 22 matches, that's the main thing.
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

As much chance of me becoming the next Pope !
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

ellis9 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:27 am My reasoning for explaining the rules as you put it is because you said "starting tomorrow".
Maybe you misunderstood what I meant. The Wasps match was never a must win game. The point was we need to start performing consistently. Last year for example we lost to Worcester and Falcons at home - after putting in good performances and gettng good results elsewhere. We have been through the mill a bit with coaches and players in recent seasons. And we need some stability, some young blood coming through, some consistency, to make Welford Road a place to fear again, etc. To be talking about being crowned champions in our situation is crazy talk IMO.
ellis9 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:27 amMy point is that so long as we are in the top 4 after 22 matches, that's the main thing.
Well that depends doesn't it. I think this debate has been had before. Our long record of being top 4 became a mill around our neck in the end. A bit like Arsenal in the round ball game it became too much of a goal in itself, rather than a means to an end. So, no, IMO, it's not the main thing right now. The main thing is to shape a coaching set up and a team, that may actually win the thing if not this year, then next, and the one after that. Not to mention Europe.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

ourla wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:10 am
ellis9 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:27 am My reasoning for explaining the rules as you put it is because you said "starting tomorrow".
Maybe you misunderstood what I meant. The Wasps match was never a must win game. The point was we need to start performing consistently. Last year for example we lost to Worcester and Falcons at home - after putting in good performances and gettng good results elsewhere. We have been through the mill a bit with coaches and players in recent seasons. And we need some stability, some young blood coming through, some consistency, to make Welford Road a place to fear again, etc. To be talking about being crowned champions in our situation is crazy talk IMO.
ellis9 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:27 amMy point is that so long as we are in the top 4 after 22 matches, that's the main thing.
Well that depends doesn't it. I think this debate has been had before. Our long record of being top 4 became a mill around our neck in the end. A bit like Arsenal in the round ball game it became too much of a goal in itself, rather than a means to an end. So, no, IMO, it's not the main thing right now. The main thing is to shape a coaching set up and a team, that may actually win the thing if not this year, then next, and the one after that. Not to mention Europe.
It has to be the goal every season. Without stating the obvious again, you have to finish in the top 4 to be in with a shot of being champions, so of course finishing in the top 4 is the aim.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

ellis9 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:27 am It has to be the goal every season. Without stating the obvious again, you have to finish in the top 4 to be in with a shot of being champions, so of course finishing in the top 4 is the aim.
Point. Missed. Again.

Well done ellis :smt003 :smt052 :smt002