Tigers to be crowned Premiership Champions?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers to be crowned Premiership Champions?

Post by ellis9 »

ourla wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:27 pm
ellis9 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:27 am It has to be the goal every season. Without stating the obvious again, you have to finish in the top 4 to be in with a shot of being champions, so of course finishing in the top 4 is the aim.
Point. Missed. Again.

Well done ellis :smt003 :smt052 :smt002
Should. Explain. It. Better. Then.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

I don't normally get involved in the optimistic/pessimistic posts, mainly because I can't pick a winner to save my life (William Hill will back me up on that :smt003)

But, people are forgetting the Murphy has been a coach with the team for years - this isn't someone that needs to come in, assess the situation, sort out the squad etc. Pretty much everyone agrees the squad is pretty much sorted and the best we've had for a while (front row is an issue, we need another international tight head for sure), Murphy has a relationship with all the players and other staff, there is no excuse for not being in the top 4 this season. I don't expect us to win, but Murphy has been involved too long to deserve a season with low expectations IMO.

I'd like a top class lock and back rower as well - i.e. a Back, Corry, Croft, Kay player that you know will be starting for England, not just some very good players that have potential to do that. Preferably 6 or 8, but happy for any position!

We need to get back to the ethos from a few seasons ago where we take a losing bonus point from every game as a minimum. We've always lost games in a season, but we used to lose games by less than 7 and were rarely heavily beaten even away from home. Add 5 extra bonus points to our total and it changes lots of things!
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Each team in the top flight of their sport would say that their objective is to win the title, but the stark reality is that there are only very few who have a realistic chance, and this season Tigers chances of winning the Premiership are slim to say the least.
Of course, once in a blue moon, the unthinkable happens like Leicester City's Premier League title a few seasons ago.
Ladbrokes have Saracens as favourites at 5/4, Exeter at 7/4, Wasps 6/1, Gloucester 7/1 and Tigers at 16/1, so by all means put a tenner on Tigers.
Tigers' priority this season must be to remain unbeaten at home in all competitions, and as Cardiff Tig rightly says in the preceding post, to glean as many away points as possible.
So let's be sensible and admit that winning the title is beyond Tigers' reach this season and even the top 4 may be a bridge too far.
Semper in excretia
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Taking the Exeter game out of the equation, we have got 5 points from our home game and then 2 points from Wasps away. That's a very good start if you ask me and we are only going to get better.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

@Cardiff Tig, whilst Murphy isn't new to the club/players and we have a good squad the last 3 years have seen a huge turnover of coaches and players. If you look at all the teams that performed near to their best over the last couple of years it's those teams with a solid coaching and player base. Hence the focus at this point can not be on being "crowned premiership champions". That will come if we get it right on and off the field. It could happen quicker than I, and others think. But ellis is way to optimistic IMO.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

ourla wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:43 am @Cardiff Tig, whilst Murphy isn't new to the club/players and we have a good squad the last 3 years have seen a huge turnover of coaches and players. If you look at all the teams that performed near to their best over the last couple of years it's those teams with a solid coaching and player base. Hence the focus at this point can not be on being "crowned premiership champions". That will come if we get it right on and off the field. It could happen quicker than I, and others think. But ellis is way to optimistic IMO.
I'm sure if you ask Murphy and the players what they want to achieve this season, their answer will be the same as mine. That's the expectation of Leicester Tigers.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

ellis9 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:47 am
ourla wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:43 am @Cardiff Tig, whilst Murphy isn't new to the club/players and we have a good squad the last 3 years have seen a huge turnover of coaches and players. If you look at all the teams that performed near to their best over the last couple of years it's those teams with a solid coaching and player base. Hence the focus at this point can not be on being "crowned premiership champions". That will come if we get it right on and off the field. It could happen quicker than I, and others think. But ellis is way to optimistic IMO.
I'm sure if you ask Murphy and the players what they want to achieve this season, their answer will be the same as mine. That's the expectation of Leicester Tigers.
We all want Tigers to win the title - no question, but it's highly unlikely this season. Or more bluntly, it ain't going to happen!
Semper in excretia
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Three games in and two of the most difficult games out of the way and the season is being written off........never say never. The picture will become clearer over the coming weeks. Things can only get better so if the performances improve there is no reason why they cannot achieve Premiership Champions........most teams can beat each other on any given day but home advantage is like a 16th man.
Top four finish and it is game on. At this point in time, the team are ahead in term of points achieved in the corresponding games last season. Just pleased to see the team playing more together and showing some real passion.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Well Robespierare I did put a tenner on for fun and wish I hadn't because the odds then (pre season) were 12/1. 😠😠😠😠. This and £2 each on 2 horses on The National are the extent of my betting if you exclude the very odd lottery ticket if I happen to be passing the kiosk in Sainsburys, on a Saturday evening, with a spare pound coin in my pocket. Hence I too am rubbish at predicting. However I am actually slightly more optimistic now than I was in my previous season 12/1 phase. The response to Sandy Park has been solid, the attitude of all seems to be where it should be and we are playing more creative rugby which brings points on the board and in the league table, albeit sometimes only bonus points... but they are all welcome. I will not predict anything but I will keep my Ladbrokes ticket until our last match is played!
As Good As It Gets
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

#1 You asked the question "We couldn't could we?". Were you looking for people to only agree with you or did you want other peoples opinion?

#2 Can you show me a quote where Murphy or the players say they expect to be crowned champions this season? Top 4, sure. But that wasn't your question.

#3 What the players think wasn't what I expected this thread to be about.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Tigerbeat wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:18 am Three games in and two of the most difficult games out of the way and the season is being written off.
#1 No, it isn't. I haven't heard anybody writing off the season. Just expressing a view on what that they think is achievable. Two very different things.

#2 We lost at home to Worcester last season. Bristol are better than Irish. So I wouldn't be counting any chickens.

I do expect us to beat Worcester and Sale btw. I don't have a negative mindset. Far from it. But this thread was asking if we could be crowned champions and I am merely suggesting we've a bit to do before I personally can really believe in that premise.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Scuttle wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:35 am Well Robespierare I did put a tenner on for fun and wish I hadn't because the odds then (pre season) were 12/1. 😠😠😠😠.
Good man, Scuttle!! I'll keep my tenner in my pocket for the moment until the odds lengthen a bit(maybe they'll shorten instead!!)
Tigerbeat wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:18 am
Three games in and two of the most difficult games out of the way and the season is being written off........never say never. The picture will become clearer over the coming weeks. Things can only get better so if the performances improve there is no reason why they cannot achieve Premiership Champions........most teams can beat each other on any given day but home advantage is like a 16th man.
Top four finish and it is game on. At this point in time, the team are ahead in term of points achieved in the corresponding games last season. Just pleased to see the team playing more together and showing some real passion.
Indeed, never say never! If they do finish in the top 4, my corkscrew'll be doing some serious overtime!!
Semper in excretia
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

I think a tenner at 16/1 is rather a good ploy to pay for the Tigers Jolly Boys' Outing at the Cabbage Patch which needs to become an annual event again!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

I completely agree - it's very optimistic to expect Tigers to be crowned champions. And we almost certainly won't be.

My point is that top 4 should still very much be the aim of this group - the core starting XV hasn't changed that much in the last few seasons, the head coach knows the majority of players inside out, and if you compare our squads to others it stacks up nicely to them.

And if we get to the playoffs then all bets are off in knock-out rugby!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

ourla wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:24 pm
#1 You asked the question "We couldn't could we?". Were you looking for people to only agree with you or did you want other peoples opinion?

#2 Can you show me a quote where Murphy or the players say they expect to be crowned champions this season? Top 4, sure. But that wasn't your question.

#3 What the players think wasn't what I expected this thread to be about.
Yes I'm happy to see others opinions but I will challenge and question them. Just like you can but don't expect me to back down easily because I won't.

I don't need a quote. The expectation of Leicester Tigers is to win. However, Murphy was asked in an interview with Nick Mullins this week the question "In one word, how do you want this season to be?" Murphy's answer- Successful. Now that could be interpreted differently. Some will say success will be top 4, some top half and others Champions. The choice is yours but I truly believe the club will class success as Champions.

I don't really care if it's not what you thought it would be about. I'm entitled to say what I believe the players and coaches expectations are. I may be wrong but I'm very confident that I'm not wrong.