Gloucester v Bristol

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Gloucester v Bristol

Post by JP14 »

Foley’s refereeing was downright awful, inconsistent to both sides. Commentators couldn’t contain themselves in the end.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Always impressed by Polledri whenever I see him play, the guy is a unit in contact. Never understand why he doesn’t get more plaudits.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Mark62 wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:45 pm The way Bristol play is to be applauded to a degree but unless they learn a more pragmatic approach from inside their own half it is going to be a very long season and they will back down into the Championship.

Their pack just isn’t good enough with no where near enough depth
I can’t quite agree, Pat Lam is rotating a lot of the time at the moment. We probably won’t see the 1st choice pack play regularly until after Christmas. Chris Vui (Samoa’s captain) and Luatua were outstanding and Smith did his job by troubling the breakdown. Joe Joyce was quiet last night but he is some unit and Ed Holmes I think was highly rated by Exeter. Shaun Malton was excellent too. Afoa is now probably feeling his age now, but Bristol do have the Lay brothers who are both Samoan internationals and Jordan Lay had a great stint with Edinburgh last season.

I think once Charles Piatau is back, things will chance (especially at home). Bristol’s defence till the 60th minute was also outstanding and some of the switch plays were sensational and really examplified the team ethic at the club which Lam is building. Bristol are here to stay.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

You’ve sort of agreed with me there JP. Unless they put their best 8 forwards out they aren’t competitive, and how often realistically do you put your strongest 8 out in a season.
Pretty sure Smith is only there for 6 months and tbh is turning into a penalty machine, a stronger ref may well have given a second yellow after he gave 3 penalties on the bounce away.
Their penalty count for killing the ball is also far too high

As for defence how often do teams tire after 60 minutes of defending.

Having now seen all 3 teams the relegation battle will be between Bristol, Worcester and Sale
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Mark62 wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:55 am You’ve sort of agreed with me there JP. Unless they put their best 8 forwards out they aren’t competitive, and how often realistically do you put your strongest 8 out in a season.
Pretty sure Smith is only there for 6 months and tbh is turning into a penalty machine, a stronger ref may well have given a second yellow after he gave 3 penalties on the bounce away.
Their penalty count for killing the ball is also far too high

As for defence how often do teams tire after 60 minutes of defending.

Having now seen all 3 teams the relegation battle will be between Bristol, Worcester and Sale
Smith is only there for 6 months, a stronger ref would've penalised him less, quite a few penalties I thought were harsh for example he made a legitimate turnover but was incorrectly penalised for holding on then he made a legitimate clean out only to be pinged for that too.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

The legitimate turnover he lost the ball and went back for a 2nd nibble the clear out he went too far past the ball which refs are clamping down on.

Your point about refs interpretation is a fair one though