Match/Ticket Grading

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Match/Ticket Grading

Post by strawclearer »

I'm sure there's a logical explanation here but - can anyone explain to me how matches are graded for ticket price purposes? We have A*, A and B matches as detailed below. (I've shown the 'Silver Adult' price for comparative purposes.)

Gallagher Premiership :

A* Grade Matches (£48) : Harlequins, Northampton Saints and Bath Rugby.

A Grade Matches (£39) : Saracens, Wasps, Exeter Chiefs and Bristol Bears.

B Grade Matches (£32) : Newcastle Falcons, Worcester Warriors, Sale Sharks and Gloucester Rugby.

How can the top 3 from last season rate below clubs finishing 9th and 10th?

How can newly promoted Bristol rate higher than last year's semi-finalist?

How can Quins (10th last season and London based) be A* whilst local rivals, Wasps (who finished 3rd last season) are A Grade?

:smt017
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Match/Ticket Grading

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Oh. I didn't think it was as scientific as that! :smt042
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

I'm afraid the cynic in me suggests it's all about 'supply and demand' in that Saints and Bath are A* because they are considered our biggest rivals - geographically and/or historically.

That leaves Quins. There is no logical reason for them being an A* fixture other than their visit to Welford Road is the match just before Christmas. So - the Club is looking to get their hands on our Christmas spending money.

Well - that's not very festive. :smt019
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

strawclearer wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:32 pm I'm afraid the cynic in me suggests it's all about 'supply and demand' in that Saints and Bath are A* because they are considered our biggest rivals - geographically and/or historically.

That leaves Quins. There is no logical reason for them being an A* fixture other than their visit to Welford Road is the match just before Christmas. So - the Club is looking to get their hands on our Christmas spending money.

Tis the season for giving...... :smt002
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

strawclearer wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:32 pm I'm afraid the cynic in me suggests it's all about 'supply and demand' in that Saints and Bath are A* because they are considered our biggest rivals - geographically and/or historically.

Of course it's supply and demand. The same as trains. The same as hotels. The same as flights.

It's nothing new.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

ellis9 wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:13 pm

Of course it's supply and demand. The same as trains. The same as hotels. The same as flights.

It's nothing new.
Of course. Thank you, Ellis.

So why is newly promoted Bristol rated higher than last year's semi-finalist (Falcons)?
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

strawclearer wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:34 pm

It's nothing new.

So why is newly promoted Bristol rated higher than last year's semi-finalist (Falcons)?
Maybe because the club feel they'll generate more income from the travelling support of one team over the other? That may also be part of the reason for the (supposedly) random selections. The fact is, they've always been like that, not just this season.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Ellis is right it is simply supply and demand that denotes match grade category, as an avid travelling supporter the system annoys me because wherever we go the price increases, regardless of current form we are A* and pay top whack.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:22 am Ellis is right it is simply supply and demand that denotes match grade category, as an avid travelling supporter the system annoys me because wherever we go the price increases, regardless of current form we are A* and pay top whack.
But we still do pay it right... QED
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

We do pay it because we want to support our team by being at the game, but it still annoys me. Price has no baring on the quality of the game you are paying to see, tonight's freebie at Loughborough maybe more exciting and skilful than many a Premiership match although of course less depending on the result.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Bath and Saints historically big, sold out games. Quins? Who knows why.

Exeter, Sarries and Wasps - long way for away fans for Exeter. The other two don't have big fan bases so although top table they aren't going to bring too many with them. Bristol I don't know.
See all the empty seats for the Wasps-Exeter game (funny how they make it hard for Tigers fans to get tickets at Wasps)

The Grade B matches are not big draws or nearby.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

mol2 wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:57 pm Bath and Saints historically big, sold out games. Quins? Who knows why.

Exeter, Sarries and Wasps - long way for away fans for Exeter. The other two don't have big fan bases so although top table they aren't going to bring too many with them. Bristol I don't know.
See all the empty seats for the Wasps-Exeter game (funny how they make it hard for Tigers fans to get tickets at Wasps)

The Grade B matches are not big draws or nearby.
Quins is the weekend before Christmas which always sells out or nearly sells out. Whoever we play, it's always the highest grade.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

It's nothing new.

Probably as it's the home game closest to the Easter weekend.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

ellis9 wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:39 pm

It's nothing new.

Probably as it's the home game closest to the Easter weekend.
Bristol had approx 24000 for their first home match, so probably have a huge new set of supporters, novelty factor, and assume they will want to travel! Quins easy to get here, direct train etc and usually attract home crowds of 16000 approx, so makes sense to me.