Stewards: where are they when you need them?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

wardy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Stewards: where are they when you need them?

Post by wardy »

I attended the excellent match against Falcons yesterday. My usual seat in the Holland & Barrett stand. About 20 minutes into the match a friend of mine two rows in front had a fit/seizure and fell off his seat onto the floor. Everyone around was immediately concerned for him, and some, including myself, shouted for a Steward. Mission Impossible..... not one in sight or within hearing distance. After a minute or so, and possibly luckily for my friend, a female supporter who I presume had medical experience got out of her seat and attended to him. For a good five minutes my friend lay on the floor and then, lo and behold, a Supervisor appeared. Eventually, and sufficiently recovered, my friend regained his feet and was ushered from the stadium, by ambulance, to hospital

I thought that Stewards were supposed to be posted near, or at the top of the stairway accesses to the seating accommodation. If they had been on this occasion some help could have been obtained far sooner than it was. What if there had been no one nearby with medical experience as there was on this occasion? Bravo to the lady who helped. Stewards are there (or supposed to be there) to help and assist supporters when they need it - sadly lacking on this occasion.

To finish off this rant. Entering the stadium I submitted my bag for inspection by a Security Officer. I don't mind, I've nothing to hide and in these days and times it's in everybody's interest that a search is done. While I'm stood there two supporters, both with bags, sauntered by in full view of a Steward and went through the turnstiles unhindered!!
Give blood, play rugby!!
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: Stewards: where are they when you need them?

Post by voice of the crumbie »

I hope your friend has made / makes a full recovery.

I've submitted my bag for search on a number of occasions including yesterday and I've noticed people with bags going in unsearched. I would have thought that, if bag searches are required, then everyone with a bag should be searched or what's the point?
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:19 pm I hope your friend has made / makes a full recovery.

I've submitted my bag for search on a number of occasions including yesterday and I've noticed people with bags going in unsearched. I would have thought that, if bag searches are required, then everyone with a bag should be searched or what's the point?
My wife submitted her bag for search ten minutes before entry. She was told they could not search till the bell sounded as she could go off before returning. While they were searching her, and holding the nearest turnstile up, people on other turnstiles walked with rucsacs etc. She also pointed out that weapons can be concealed in handbags, which weren't searched. A tray of chips from the Leicester chippy could conceal a handgun. Mind you, some beerguts could conceal hidden terrorists :smt005
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Think it needs to be emphasised that the "bag" security inspections are and were never going to be 100% as frankly that is completely unworkable. This is designed to act as a deterrent and in no way could it in itself ever prevent a terrorist attack. For that you would have to have 100% airport security. If supporters want that then we must be prepared for the significant extra staffing and equipment costs that would have to be passed onto us and the resultant delays and inconvenience.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

I think Sapajo makes an excellent point.

It is my greatest fear that one of these fanatics will one day carry out an atrocity in a packed sports stadium
Latecomer

Post by Latecomer »

Wards, contact Andrea Sillman who is in charge of stewarding. I had a problem a couple of seasons ago and she contacted me to get things resolved. I do think stewarding has gone downhill recently though.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

sapajo wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:36 pm Think it needs to be emphasised that the "bag" security inspections are and were never going to be 100% as frankly that is completely unworkable. This is designed to act as a deterrent and in no way could it in itself ever prevent a terrorist attack. For that you would have to have 100% airport security. If supporters want that then we must be prepared for the significant extra staffing and equipment costs that would have to be passed onto us and the resultant delays and inconvenience.
Sorry I totally disagree, both Wembley and Twickenham have 100% bag and body search policy, some bags are always going to get through, especially at Twickenham were you have a green picket fence around the stadium.

In 2 event times Wembley will have a no bag policy for any bag over A4 size, get prepared because this is the way forward for all stadia in UK as it is in the US.
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Chobbsy wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:43 pm
sapajo wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:36 pm Think it needs to be emphasised that the "bag" security inspections are and were never going to be 100% as frankly that is completely unworkable. This is designed to act as a deterrent and in no way could it in itself ever prevent a terrorist attack. For that you would have to have 100% airport security. If supporters want that then we must be prepared for the significant extra staffing and equipment costs that would have to be passed onto us and the resultant delays and inconvenience.
Sorry I totally disagree, both Wembley and Twickenham have 100% bag and body search policy, some bags are always going to get through, especially at Twickenham were you have a green picket fence around the stadium.

In 2 event times Wembley will have a no bag policy for any bag over A4 size, get prepared because this is the way forward for all stadia in UK as it is in the US.
I can assure you that there is a certain amount of lip service for "100 %" contraband checks at both Wembley and Twickenham. Even so, as Sapajo says, the extra that they are doing will be reflected in ticket cost at those venues and to further improve the level of security will cost more and be passed on to the likes of us.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

h's dad wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:02 pm
Chobbsy wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:43 pm

I can assure you that there is a certain amount of lip service for "100 %" contraband checks at both Wembley and Twickenham. Even so, as Sapajo says, the extra that they are doing will be reflected in ticket cost at those venues and to further improve the level of security will cost more and be passed on to the likes of us.
Lip service made be given by the actual search staff, however I can assure you it isn't by the management, and as previously stated it is the way forward, Sporting Stadia are considered legitimate targets by terrorists as was confirmed when they attempted an attack on Stadt de France
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
WirralExile
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by WirralExile »

My son and I attended a BC Lions (Canadian Football League - similar to NFL) game while on holiday in Vancouver recently. There was not only 100% bag search but also a 100% pat down. I believe this served 2 purposes, one being the carrying of offensive weapons, etc, but also stopped you taking in your own food and drink. You were simply not allowed to bring in your own refreshments. So whilst at Tigers we often take in our own bottles of water/soft drinks, snacks, etc, that is simply not allowed at BC Place, where the BC Lions (and Vancouver Whitecaps soccer team) play. We did however, enjoy some good beer, burgers and poutine both outside and inside the ground, with the main difference being the prices outside were a lot lower than inside.

When I ordered the tickets the accompanying note did confirm the policy of the size and contents of any bags allowed into the stadium, so no surprises.
Wirral Exile
Same birthplace as Oz, but not quite as lippy!