Wasps Vs Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Re: Wasps Vs Tigers

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Heyes was fine. One scrum with the clock almost at zero with one down? Unfortunate but predictable having played 41 minutes a man down. Hopefully we’ll see more of him. Interesting seeing Olowofela pack down at 6 though earlier on!

Overall an impressive performance. The first try conceded was unfortunate with TV getting hit, and the second and third came from our own inaccuracy ball in hand (or catching). Otherwise promising.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Every good head coach realises that he has to balance the needs of the moment against those of the medium to long term. The world cup is on the horizon and there will be other international commitments before then. Apart from Bateman our starting and bench cover props are internationals and available for call up. It makes no sense to me if we do not slowly introduce squad and development players at appropriate times to gain experience for the times they will need to cover the absences of front line players.

When Heyes was introduced today there was a theorectical chance that Tigers could still win the game. Being realistic with 14 men and tiring players it was at best an outside chance. However I believe the more pragmatic view, that it was more likely that we could do enough to hold on to the two points we had and that there was an opportunity to give exposure to a younger player and also give Dan Cole a bit of a rest, was taken.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

2 thoughts then moving on. Ford has been brilliant last 2 weeks what do people feel should happen when Toomua returns, should he walk straight back in or be used as a bench option.

Secondly on the red card if Taylor was hit with force direct to the head why was there no HIA.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Big Dai wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:28 pm Freddie Burns tweeted "Not blaming the referees and I know it’s being done to protect us players but can we go back to red cards only being issued for deliberate acts of bad foul play/ violence not unfortunate incidents that happen as a result of playing a contact sport? It’s ruining the game. #rugby"
I agree with Freddie, this random and inconsistent reffing is ruining the game and never seems to improve. Do they want to turn it into some form of basketball?

As for the rest, well at least Tigers turned up and played like they wanted to win, unlike at Sandy Park, but really that could and should have been a famous victory.

TV needs to learn to tackle, hopless in defence, and TY how to throw, lost 3 or 4 on the trot to them which cost us. And BY - wake up man and concentrate - you never turn your back on the oppo in that situation, even at schoolboy level.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/n ... r-red-card

Geordan's views on the Spencer card, as presented by Sky Sports
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
HantsTiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by HantsTiger »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:30 pm 2 thoughts then moving on. Ford has been brilliant last 2 weeks what do people feel should happen when Toomua returns, should he walk straight back in or be used as a bench option.

Secondly on the red card if Taylor was hit with force direct to the head why was there no HIA.
If he can get the jetlag out of his system and up to speed then we need him as an option at 12, however if Eastmond or Owen are fit for next week then we start them with MT on the bench. Tough on Hardwick though.
Smudger67S
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Smudger67S »

Really unlucky guys, you well deserved the win. I know some here are happy (at present) with the two points. In the cold light of day they may think differently. Perhaps not. However you showed heart and spirit. What more can you ask of despite a dubious red card.
Love the commitment, love the rallying behind Murphy.
Am I a Tigers fan? Certainly not! I have followed Saints since my first game in 1973, however, like you, I want EMidlands rugby to flourish, and hopefully both our historic clubs on on the up. xxx Kisses from Franklin Gardens
If at first you don't succeed .............. then skydiving isnt for you!!!!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Smudger67S wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:28 pm Really unlucky guys, you well deserved the win. I know some here are happy (at present) with the two points. In the cold light of day they may think differently. Perhaps not. However you showed heart and spirit. What more can you ask of despite a dubious red card.
Am I a Tigers fan? Certainly not! I have followed Saints since my first game in 1973, however, like you, I want EMidlands rugby to flourish, and hopefully both our historic clubs on on the up. xxx Kisses from Franklin Gardens
We want East Midlands rugby to flourish too but not from the Northampton side of the East Midlands! :smt023
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

HantsTiger wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:46 pm
Mark62 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:30 pm 2 thoughts then moving on. Ford has been brilliant last 2 weeks what do people feel should happen when Toomua returns, should he walk straight back in or be used as a bench option.

If he can get the jetlag out of his system and up to speed then we need him as an option at 12, however if Eastmond or Owen are fit for next week then we start them with MT on the bench. Tough on Hardwick though.
First point: Put him back on the plane to Auss - top player or not, MT has made his intent known, let the Tigers concentrate on consistency with players. Hardwick should not be sanctioned because of a 'bit' player. The Tigers need to bring on their young talent not 'sit them out'.

Second point: The red was probably due to the area of impact rather than the force used? I hope the review states that the red was sufficient. Had an HIA been performed than maybe Will would have got a banned too - we will see?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Smudger67S wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:28 pm Really unlucky guys, you well deserved the win. I know some here are happy (at present) with the two points. In the cold light of day they may think differently. Perhaps not. However you showed heart and spirit. What more can you ask of despite a dubious red card.
Eh Smudge. Thanks for the message of support. Us and Saints have had a falling from grace of late, which is ironic given the rivalry. Hopefully things are on the turn for both clubs. Not that I have anything against Sarries or Exeter but it would be great to see the E Mids teams back on top.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:06 pm was it the same ref that sent off George Smith last week?
No Andrew Jackson was the Referee Bristol v Saracens.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:48 pm TMO not happy ref overruled his last attempt to penalise Tigers so finds something else.

Trial by crowd, commentator and slow motion.

Red card coming I fear....
It is not only the Pro14 where the Referees are poor. I thought that the Referee was the soul arbitrator of the game and the TMO was there to assist but under the the control of the Referee.
I question this TMO's experience as he is not as far as I can see on the RFU listing, Malcolm (as his mother obviously calls him!) Sinclair has NOT appeared as a Referee, Asst. Referee or TMO before in any of the 3 rounds this season - Qualifications ?
Taylor was not injured & not HIA, in my mind a yellow card for clumsiness but others in the yellow & black should have been yellowed well before this incident.
In a week of typhoons, hurricanes this Tempest has really created a storm of protest. :smt002
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Line outs lost were after Williams had gone and obviously no Spencer also changes of lifters, not surprising that they with an extra man had us covered. Heyes for Cole? Joe is young for a prop he will be a very good one and this was good experience for him, it is true to say Dan Cole could have managed one more scrum if we had known there would be just one more scrum. At the time I was thinking our forwards are tiring we need to get the ball moving in open play and actually Heyes is more suited to that than Dan. It did not work but it could have.
Our Academy/Development squad is on the point of producing some very good youngsters, whether they win or lose games is relatively unimportant it is about player development and getting the individuals ready for first team and a key part of that is time off the bench there is no other way of establishing when they are ready to start. Of course injury can mean they are introduced earlier than intended, it is not unknown for the debutant to seize the chance and surprise the coaches.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

wormus wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:21 am Taylor was not injured & not HIA
Where does it state in the rules that the opponent has to be injured or concussed in order for a red card to be issued?
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:12 pm Heyes was fine. One scrum with the clock almost at zero with one down? Unfortunate but predictable having played 41 minutes a man down. Hopefully we’ll see more of him. Interesting seeing Olowofela pack down at 6 though earlier on!

Overall an impressive performance. The first try conceded was unfortunate with TV getting hit, and the second and third came from our own inaccuracy ball in hand (or catching). Otherwise promising.
For me it was great to see a Tigers team, play with heart and pride throughout, if they continue to play like that for the rest of the season I will be quite happy, the breaks will go with us at some stage.

I did think the TMO was wanting to have a sin binning or sending off. The Dan Cole situation, the TMO kept saying have another look and I think he had a hand in the red card also.
God created rugby so footballers have heros too