Wasps Vs Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Wasps Vs Tigers

Post by kpj tiger »

Proud of the character shown by the boys in that one, we got ourselves 2 points out of that which is better than most will get at the Ricoh especially a man down
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

They were there for the taking today.

We did pretty well with 14 men but ultimately (even with 15) our execution (lineouts & mauls especially) killed us.

Bored of Ugo Monye and Ben Kay now, but at least it wasn't Dayglo crowing - I simply cannot agree that Wasps were 'deserving winners' - they won, they got some breaks and we choked our lines at critical times which gave them the points.

Having said that, 2 points is more than I expected today, the boys played with lots of heart but not enough head at times.

It'll come, just needs to click sooner rather than later or we'll get left too far behind, I don't have the faith that we'll mount a late season comeback right now. Next 2 matches need a BIG response from us.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

POSTIGER wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:51 pm Hate to say it but our captain's useless darts at a critical point in the game, when we had Wasps rattled, have cost us dearly.
Yep, completely agree. Not good enough in that department.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Under pressure the same errors keep coming back. Missed tackles and errors at line out.

Top teams still execute basics when under pressure.

Still good to see a bit more fire in the Tigers.
Bristol Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bristol Tiger »

DaveRave wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:53 pm Strange to be gutted to lose away having played a half with 14 and still picked up 2 points, but we got into a winning position and gifted it straight back.
Agree, thought we could have sneaked that game and deservedly so. Lineouts towards the end really hurt us, win those and we’re attacking. As it was, ended up defending with one less man.

Still happy with two bonus points given the red card and away to Wasps! Also scored as many tries as them!!!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Gone from last season
Exeter Away 0 points
Falcons Home 1 point
Wasps Away 1

To

Exeter Away 0 points
Falcons Home 5 points
Wasps Away 2 points

So a 5 point swing from last year.
Also played 3 of last years top 4 in the first 3 weeks (2 away) and come out with a total of 7 points, not the end of the world given the first week.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

I think it’s the fight the team showed that was most encouraging. No landslide of points against us after the red card. Really concerned about these line outs however...
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:56 pm They were there for the taking today.

We did pretty well with 14 men but ultimately (even with 15) our execution (lineouts & mauls especially) killed us.

Bored of Ugo Monye and Ben Kay now, but at least it wasn't Dayglo crowing - I simply cannot agree that Wasps were 'deserving winners' - they won, they got some breaks and we choked our lines at critical times which gave them the points.

Having said that, 2 points is more than I expected today, the boys played with lots of heart but not enough head at times.

It'll come, just needs to click sooner rather than later or we'll get left too far behind, I don't have the faith that we'll mount a late season comeback right now. Next 2 matches need a BIG response from us.
Agreed. Thought we showed some guts and bottle. The loss of Spencer was pivotal but also why can't the ref see a knock on? In front of the kicker?

I have to confess to being very animated. Ad for the patronising so and sos on the telly, may God give me strength. Patronising and biassed. "Let's just explain that for Tigers fans". Ohhhh my blood's boiling.

Talking bottle. I'm having that Remy to toast some guts from the boys. Good effort.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Great to get 2 points after the sending off. Great to see so much heart in adversity. With 15 men I think we could have won that. Great to see all the youngsters given a run. Need to get the lineout back on track and improve further in defence. Moving in the right direction though and I'm encouraged by the forwards' general attitude and application. Unsurprisingly fitness told a bit in the last 20 but hardly surprising having to play a man down for all of the 2nd half.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

was it the same ref that sent off George Smith last week?
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:06 pm was it the same ref that sent off George Smith last week?
Not sure but i think all the prem ref's would have given a red, its the new directive they've been given
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

7 points from the 1st three rounds is decent considering our 1st round performance, looking for 5 points next week. Defence was okay we only began to let them slip through because we were playing 14 against 15 and Owen despite playing well that’s his first run out of the season.

We need to immediately stop Youngs being captain because it clearly affects judgement when replacing him as he should have gone 20 minutes earlier than he did.

It seems that whenever we go to the Ricoh we only lose because of ref stupidity, ie the try that never was in the semifinal, Dan Robson’s illegal on the ground turnover that should have been a penalty try, then this with a red card that was just a yellow and then the Guy Thompson turnover that was penalised against us. It just really infuriates me :smt013.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:06 pm was it the same ref that sent off George Smith last week?
Refereeing needs an overhaul in my view...too much responsibility for too few officials and decisions seriously swing games. In my view there is a big difference between an intended and accidental blow to the head. Clearly unintentional in this case, and it’s intent which should only result in a sending off
Last edited by markharbtiger on Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:56 pm They were there for the taking today.

I thought the maul worked fine. Kalamafoni got his try from a series of good rolling mauls that also saw Hughes sin binned. Would have liked us to go to the maul more when under pressure. Lineout is still a major concern.

Personally I'm much happier. Two points from a trip away to a top 4 side from last season is a decent return. The players looked fully committed and defended hard, most teams will concede a lot of points against Wasps because they are so clinical. Down to 14 for so long and Wasps were in touching distance throughout.

The attack is lightyears ahead of what we've seen over the last few seasons, it's consistently threatening and is really making the most of the players we have instead of trying to pretend it's fifteen years ago and we can simply batter our way through.

We are back to a side that is really easy to get behind and take pride in watching.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Big Dai wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:04 pm

Agreed. Thought we showed some guts and bottle. The loss of Spencer was pivotal but also why can't the ref see a knock on? In front of the kicker?
I would love to give an answer .... but can't.