Dominic Ryan retires

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Dominic Ryan retires

Post by POSTIGER »

Sadly Dominic Ryan has been forced to retire with concussion. His Tigers experience never quite got off the ground but always a shame to see a guy's career end at a relatively young age.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
HantsTiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Dominic Ryan retires

Post by HantsTiger »

http://www.punditarena.com/rugby/oisinm ... struggles/

Makes for a hard read, I remember that game and couldn't believe he was allowed to continue. I remember Luke Hamilton having ot help him pack down at one stage.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

POSTIGER wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:37 pm Sadly Dominic Ryan has been forced to retire with concussion. His Tigers experience never quite got off the ground but always a shame to see a guy's career end at a relatively young age.
Sad day that a player who Matt O'Connor rated never really got a good run @ Tigers. A young retiree again.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/45459890
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

HantsTiger wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:22 pm http://www.punditarena.com/rugby/oisinm ... struggles/

Makes for a hard read, I remember that game and couldn't believe he was allowed to continue. I remember Luke Hamilton having ot help him pack down at one stage.
A very harrowing story.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
norfolkexpat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by norfolkexpat »

Very sorry to hear and obviously all the flak he got was 100% wrong. Unfortunately his demise will be replicated over and over and then Insurance will kick in. Give Rugby Union as we take for granted just a few more years before it is irrevocably dumbed down....
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I'm not sure you can take the contact out of rugby and concussion will occur and for a few that concussion can be career ending or life changing.
However most of the concussions are accidental collisions (unlike the combat sports such as boxing) however knee to head is probably more concussive than most punches.

The key thing is to protect players from injuring themselves further by trying to play on or return to playing too early.
Bravery is commendable but when you are concussed you are not in a position to make rational decisions. If it's your livelihood as it was for Ryan the temptation to soldier on in silence has to be tempered by awareness from the medical staff.

I'm not sure that a lot can be done to make RU safer although it's arguable that the big hits by bigger players may be consequential to the law changes that have made it hard to turn over the ball at the breakdown so the emphasis is more like league where you can't really steal the ball other than by dislodging it in the tackle.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Terribly sad for Dominic Ryan.
I thought that he had the potential to grow here on top of his strong basics and great attitude.
Regarding concussion, personally I believe that the removal of superior techniques from the game is a factor, many players look far too hurried for their skill and rugby intelligence levels.
Also when you add in all the little bad habits that the officials allow to go unpunished such as ball carriers rolling over and over to prevent a fair contest for the ball and players diving in that all combine to make the game much more dangerous than it should be.