Ben Kay on Rugby Tonight

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Crumblies
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Ben Kay on Rugby Tonight

Post by Crumblies »

Mark62 wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:24 pm When has it ever been said that Ben Kay is involved in coaching. He and Underwood are the directors who report back on the playing side to the board, which is why he made his statement on the telly.
This is just like in a normal company where directors look after Sales or Purchasing
It was publicly stated sometime in the not to dim & distant past that Ben Kay did some work coaching the lineout. Probably between Blaze & Bakewell
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

I wasn’t aware of that.
Still his words on Wednesday night were very much as a director with rugby responsibility not as a coach or advisor
Goshengareth

Post by Goshengareth »

Apologies if the wording was unclear, I wasn't implying he was directly involved in coaching. I meant that if he is a director of the rugby committee making decisions / recommendations, I would expect him to have more experience in the field he was making recommendations on. Both he and Rory were excellent players, but that is no guarantee of being good at making decisions around the running of the rugby side of a club.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

But the amount of experience they have as players and rugby men must mean a certain level of knowledge.
Also Ben is fairly new to the role replacing SCW
Goshengareth

Post by Goshengareth »

Yes as a world cup winner he's not without knowledge, and alot more than me! But you can see the comparison with SCW doesn't favour Ben. Did our downturn coincide with SCW departure? Or accelerate if it was already under way?
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote=Goshengareth post_id=696539 time=1536342022 user_id=12212]
Yes as a world cup winner he's not without knowledge, and alot more than me! But you can see the comparison with SCW doesn't favour Ben. Did our downturn coincide with SCW departure? Or accelerate if it was already under way?
[/quote]

Peter Wheeler has been the biggest loss to the Tigers Board, imo. Never replaced. Losing SCW didn't help either.
As an annoying, lippy, former player has recently stated, the tailspin into mediocracy has been caused by the Club failing to evolve. The Board are compounding mistakes as they are rudderless - lacking in any planning, and making decisions on a reactionary basis. Sacking MOC after one game of the new season was utterly bizarre and the latest evidence of rank bad planning. Under the current Board the Club has lost it's way, lost it's aura, and lost it's place amongst the elite.
The long held aim 'To be the best club in Europe' was laudable, but now seems incredibly fanciful and frankly, laughable.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

MurphysLaw wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:44 am
Goshengareth wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:40 pm Yes as a world cup winner he's not without knowledge, and alot more than me! But you can see the comparison with SCW doesn't favour Ben. Did our downturn coincide with SCW departure? Or accelerate if it was already under way?
Peter Wheeler has been the biggest loss to the Tigers Board, imo. Never replaced. Losing SCW didn't help either.
As an annoying, lippy, former player has recently stated, the tailspin into mediocracy has been caused by the Club failing to evolve. The Board are compounding mistakes as they are rudderless - lacking in any planning, and making decisions on a reactionary basis. Sacking MOC after one game of the new season was utterly bizarre and the latest evidence of rank bad planning. Under the current Board the Club has lost it's way, lost it's aura, and lost it's place amongst the elite.
The long held aim 'To be the best club in Europe' was laudable, but now seems incredibly fanciful and frankly, laughable.
I have to disagree. The sacking of MOC was a strong move by the board he had obvylost the changing room and as was said on Wednesday had not put in place what was agreed in the summe.
A sign of weakness imho would have been to say let’s give it a month to see what happens.
We have the squad they need direction.
Agree with the point about Brace btw
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

MurphysLaw wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:44 am
Goshengareth wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:40 pm Yes as a world cup winner he's not without knowledge, and alot more than me! But you can see the comparison with SCW doesn't favour Ben. Did our downturn coincide with SCW departure? Or accelerate if it was already under way?
I suspect the plan to promote Murphy was the plan made during the summer should MOC fail the put in place those things demanded by the board. The game Vs the Chiefs was an embarrassing shambles and the board had to make a decision.

Personally I'd have liked to see MOC gone at the end of last season but the board decided to give him another chance.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Let me say right at the start, I have no evidence/rumour or gossip to substantiate what I am saying - just my gut feeling that MOC was not interested in staying at the club and wanted out of the club with as much as he could get. That would go a long way to explain his late return pre-season, the crazy kick the ball away 1st half game plan to the best side in the league at keeping possession and his non implementation of end of last season review directives/suggestions. This was my feeling before Ben's comments and reinforced when he said that MOC had not taken any notice of the review advice and that was the main reason for the decision taken by the board. It is now history and we need to look to the future and a new start today.
Hehehehehehehehe
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote=Mark62 post_id=696560 time=1536397843 user_id=11593]
[quote=MurphysLaw post_id=696553 time=1536392645 user_id=3365]
[quote=Goshengareth post_id=696539 time=1536342022 user_id=12212]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I have to disagree. The sacking of MOC was a strong move by the board he had obvylost the changing room and as was said on Wednesday had not put in place what was agreed in the summe.
A sign of weakness imho would have been to say let’s give it a month to see what happens.
We have the squad they need direction.
Agree with the point about Brace btw
[/quote]

A sign of weakness is not sacking a failing coach before the season starts. At least then any new coach can have a pre-season.It has been shambolic!