Supporters forum tonight

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: Supporters forum tonight

Post by ellis9 »

Q: Are we still recruiting for the current season?

Ged Glynn takes the microphone to respond.

A: For now, we're about done, but it's a very physical environment and when things change we are always keeping aware of who is available if something happens. For example, Ellis Genge was injured and cover was required for him.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Q: Are we looking for a defence coach at the club?

Geordan Murphy will respond to the question regarding the coaching set up.

A: In the short term basis, Brett Deacon will run the defence and he's got very good ideas and is innovative. I'm fully confident in his ability.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Q: Matt O'Connor was in charge of the attack. Who will run that now?

Geordan Murphy again has the microphone to respond.

A: Boris Stankovich. Of course!!

Jokes aside, I will run the attack and Brett Deacon the defence, while Mark Bakewell runs the forwards and Boris the scrum.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Simon Cohen is given the next question from the floor at tonight's Open Supporters Forum, regarding the make-up of the Tigers coaching staff and rugby department.

Q: Are you convinced that the structure we have is still the right structure?

A: Ultimately, the board makes the calls about structure of who I report in to. My view is that we appoint someone to run the rugby, which can be called a head coach or director of rugby, whatever you wish.

Coaches vary in what they want from both their role and the rugby operations roles, which is different for all of them. Geordan is very hands on and will want different things out of the operations role that others might.

The Rugby Committee is in charge of looking at rugby matters on behalf of the board and reporting back to the board, but have no decision making ability on their own. They and all others involved do not restrict a coaches autonomy and neither does our structure.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

ellis9 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:33 pm Q: Matt O'Connor was in charge of the attack. Who will run that now?

Geordan Murphy again has the microphone to respond.

A: Boris Stankovich. Of course!!

Jokes aside, I will run the attack and Brett Deacon the defence, while Mark Bakewell runs the forwards and Boris the scrum.
I quite like the idea of a Boris trained attack! :smt003
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Q: Looking back at last weekend, Dan Cole was out there "struggling" in the 70th minute after giving his all. Was that down to lack of confidence from the coach or in the recruitment?

Ged Glynn takes the microphone to respond on behalf of the coaching staff.

A: To be totally honest, I believe it was a combination of both.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

ellis9 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:37 pm Q: Looking back at last weekend, Dan Cole was out there "struggling" in the 70th minute after giving his all. Was that down to lack of confidence from the coach or in the recruitment?

Ged Glynn takes the microphone to respond on behalf of the coaching staff.

A: To be totally honest, I believe it was a combination of both.
So GG who is seemingly in charge of recruitment says our new TH replacement isn't good enough after 1 game? :smt017
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Simon Cohen is asked the next question of the night.

Q: Regarding the Daily Mail article a few weeks ago, do we have a mole on the board or did you leak it?

A: Did I leak it? No. If I speak to the press I do so on the record with my name next to any and all quotes.
Knightonian

Post by Knightonian »

Good Question - so a mole
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Q: Why was O'Connor good enough in May but not good enough now?

CEO Simon Cohen has opted to respond regarding Monday's decision from the board.

A: When he was here first, Matt did fantastically well. The most recent stint saw him do a lot of good things here - there were disappointing performances, yes, but some fantastic ones too last season.

The board felt it wasn't there at the moment but if the recommendations made were implemented we could get there. The board felt they weren't implemented over the summer and that crystallised in the first game, last week.

When all things came to roost at Exeter, which were similar things that didn't go right last year, it showed us those recommendations hadn't been implemented.

It wasn't ideal, at all, and when coaches are appointed you want it to work out. We do not want to be seen as a hiring and firing club, at all.

The manner in the way things went wrong that had gone wrong last season, against Exeter, clinched the decision.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

CEO Simon Cohen is asked the next question, regarding the past 3-4 seasons at the club.

Q: Coaching recruitment. When will the board be held accountable?

A: On the outside of it, Cockers and Mauger should have been a perfect combination. Looking back, the same voice can be a tiresome thing continually talking for many years.

We also have to factor in who was available at the time ... and the decision to appoint Matt was made with the thought in mind that he understood the Premiership.

I can't speak for all members of the board, but I can for myself. We canvas so much opinion to do everything we can to get the decision right.

On paper, Cockers and Mauger should have been a perfect combination and it didn't work out, while Cockers and Matt O'Connor shouldn't have been but had a lot of success.

I don't believe that the Board have made such bad decisions that they should be resigning. Across the board, there is a lot of knowledge. The rugby side is represented by Ben Kay and Rory Underwood.

With the gift of hindsight, yes decisions haven't worked out and been correct, but at the times I don't believe they were entirely unreasonable.

This board cares a lot about the club, are very passionate and gives a lot of time and money to the club for not a lot at all.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Q: Geordan Murphy, what do you expect of the fans in the coming weeks?

A: What I would expect from the crowd is the same as the players. I want them to go out and give their all.

I would hope what we do on the field will give you, the fans something to get behind and be supportive of, building that atmosphere.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Geordan Murphy, what are three things you wish to address this weekend after last Saturday's game in Exeter?

A: I spoke to the players this morning, which was difficult, and we have a short week ahead of the game.

1. Holding on to the ball will be key.
2. We need to address our attacking principles and how we want to play.
3. When we were 20+ points down, we threw in the towel and that was heartbreaking. I want to see Tigers fighting until the last minute.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Cheers for the running commentary ellis9, much appreciated by this one who couldn't make it :smt023
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Thanks for relaying the questions and responses.
:smt023
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk