Murphy wants the job full time

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Re: Murphy wants the job full time

Post by POSTIGER »

Aside from Bakewell (of whom I'm not entirely convinced) there is an alarming lack of experience within the coaching set up and a lack of sheer numbers. No defence coach, no breakdown coach etc. We won't win anything until this is addressed.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

POSTIGER wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:21 am Aside from Bakewell (of whom I'm not entirely convinced) there is an alarming lack of experience within the coaching set up and a lack of sheer numbers. No defence coach, no breakdown coach etc. We won't win anything until this is addressed.
For me a club should be looking at having a Forwards, Backs, Scrum, Line out, Breakdown, Attack, Defense and half back coaching. (Especially With the amount of young half backs we have!)

Currently

GM: Head Coach, Backs, Attack, Half backs.
MB: Forwards, Line out
BD: Defense, Breakdown
:censored:: Scrum.

Surely we need another coach to take some pressure off Geordan if he's to make a success of it. If we brought in a Mike Catt, Ben Ryan, heck even if we brought Paul Burke back, we'd have someone to coach the backs and half backs.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Maybe bring Ant into the seniors and back fill him?
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

On the basis that, apparently, and probably obviously, MOC was a poor delegator I am prepared to see how Geordie operates and utilises the resources he has before adding to it.
If other coaches have been under used then, given a chance, even their extra input properly used should be a massive improvement.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Giving Murphy this opportunity is a no brainer for the Tigers Board, if he succeeds then they can claim victory for such an inspired appointment and maintaining continuity in such troubled times. If he fails then they are back to square one and can search the world for another MOC. He has been our skills coach for some 6 years but I have not seen any visible improvement in this facet on the pitch and its a massive step up. I respect Geordan, he is a great servant of the club and is possibly the last reminent of Pedigree Tigers DNA left at the club, but throwing him in at the deep end concerns me as does the incestuous appointment of Ex Tigers in coaching roles. It strikes me that it makes the working environment all to cosy for the senior players having your best mates to coach you and frankly in my opinion unless the senior players have it their way, then no Coach will ever succeed at Tigers. I respect Geordan, he is a great servant of the club and is possibly the last reminent of Pedigree Tigers DNA left at the club but throwing him in at the deep end seriously concerns me.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Sapajo, you have hit the nail on the head. Management cop out.
Valhalla I am coming!
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

sapajo wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:45 pm Giving Murphy this opportunity is a no brainer for the Tigers Board, if he succeeds then they can claim victory for such an inspired appointment and maintaining continuity in such troubled times. If he fails then they are back to square one and can search the world for another MOC. He has been our skills coach for some 6 years but I have not seen any visible improvement in this facet on the pitch and its a massive step up. I respect Geordan, he is a great servant of the club and is possibly the last reminent of Pedigree Tigers DNA left at the club, but throwing him in at the deep end concerns me as does the incestuous appointment of Ex Tigers in coaching roles. It strikes me that it makes the working environment all to cosy for the senior players having your best mates to coach you and frankly in my opinion unless the senior players have it their way, then no Coach will ever succeed at Tigers. I respect Geordan, he is a great servant of the club and is possibly the last reminent of Pedigree Tigers DNA left at the club but throwing him in at the deep end seriously concerns me.
+1
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

sapajo wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:45 pm Giving Murphy this opportunity is a no brainer for the Tigers Board, if he succeeds then they can claim victory for such an inspired appointment and maintaining continuity in such troubled times. If he fails then they are back to square one and can search the world for another MOC. He has been our skills coach for some 6 years but I have not seen any visible improvement in this facet on the pitch and its a massive step up. I respect Geordan, he is a great servant of the club and is possibly the last reminent of Pedigree Tigers DNA left at the club, but throwing him in at the deep end concerns me as does the incestuous appointment of Ex Tigers in coaching roles. It strikes me that it makes the working environment all to cosy for the senior players having your best mates to coach you and frankly in my opinion unless the senior players have it their way, then no Coach will ever succeed at Tigers. I respect Geordan, he is a great servant of the club and is possibly the last reminent of Pedigree Tigers DNA left at the club but throwing him in at the deep end seriously concerns me.
Except that there can't be too many players left who actually played alongside Geordie or even Brett - the Youngs brothers, Dan and who else? (Manu perhaps for Brett). Matt Tait was injured pretty much all his first season or so here. Matt Smith is another but is hardly a regular in the first team. Both Matt's are senior squad members playing a different role these days and not likely to be relying on any supposed friendship.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

I couldn't agree more. Geordan is a great Tiger but I too have yet to see his skill-coaching prowess show itself on the pitch?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I too haven’t seen his skills coaching bear fruit, but I have seen his head coaching be quite successful. I’m backing Murphy 100% for the foreseeable future.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

I would hope GM (& the coaches in general throughout the club) are tapping into the Matt's experience, I wouldn't be surprised to see Tait becoming a coach in the future.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Can Geordan do a great job? Pat Howard did it and I remember him, a few days after being made coach, saying that his most “ difficult task wasn’t sorting tactics, introducing new, progressive ideas but having to drop blokes who were my mates. “
What Geordan needs is total backing from the board. This is why Rob Baxter, McCall, Dai Young do very well: they are allowed to make tough decisions about players: of course in Pat Howard’s time, with Tigers being so successful, if players were dropped they didn’t throw their toys out the Prem but got on with being top club men by fighting for their place in the match day squad.
Yes, Geordan can do the job if the B o D, SC,players and coaches really accept he is The Boss.
I believe he can do it.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Deano took over with no coaching experience, supported by John Wells (forwards) and Joel Stransky (backs) similarly inexperienced, they did ok. Pat Howard replaced Joel and worked under Wellsy taking over when Wells left and Paddy brought in Cocker to coach the pack with Backy as defence coach. After Pat returned to Oz Lofreda came in and confused the backs so he went. Meyer came in but did not stay long anf thing did not look good until Cocker took over.
In Leinster Cullen quit playing and took over as head coach and did ok.
Good players can be good coaches given the chance, Geordan has several years working under different coaches, he has been a coach long enough to develop a coach-player relationship with his former younger team-mates. He has the passion and the brain he does not need an older mentor he deserves the opportunity to succeed or fail on his own terms, if he feels the need for advice there are plenty of people he can ask.
Timmers
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Timmers »

I haven’t seen any progress in the backs from Geordan that justifies him as a decent back coach let alone a shot at head coach!
A great player, YES
A great servant and tiger through and through YES
A coach of any description NO.
Very few set plays that come off, regular handling errors and a 10, 12 combo that’s in all honesty never gelled. Generally a few quality tries from May and vieanu which are individual.
Let’s get real here
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Timmers wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:47 pm I haven’t seen any progress in the backs from Geordan that justifies him as a decent back coach let alone a shot at head coach!
A great player, YES
A great servant and tiger through and through YES
A coach of any description NO.
Very few set plays that come off, regular handling errors and a 10, 12 combo that’s in all honesty never gelled. Generally a few quality tries from May and vieanu which are individual.
Let’s get real here
That's because MOC not Geordan was in charge of the attack.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!