The next New Head Coach / DOR?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Who would you like to see as the next Head Coach / DOR of Leicester Tigers?

Poll ended at Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:53 am

Ben Ryan
10%
Vern Cotter
13%
Stuart Lancaster
8%
Geordan Murphy
28%
Ronan O Gara
5%
Andy Farrell
1%
Graham Rowntree
3%
Milton Haig
3%
John Mitchell
5%
Daryl Gibson
8%
Wayne Smith
4%
Robbie Deans
6%
Jim Mallender
1%
Mike Ford
4%

Total votes: 118

voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: The next New Head Coach / DOR?

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Happy to give Geordan and the current coaching team a chance but we do need a proper defence coach and quickly. Someone proven whose sole focus is defence. This, for me, would be the place to inject a non-Leicester element.

The coaches under whom we have enjoyed most success (Richards, Wells, Howard, Cockers) have all been Tigers through and through and also played with the players they went on to manage which is why I am supportive of Geordan who of, course, worked with and has no doubt learned from all the aforesaid gentlemen. I think he might surprise a few people.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Flash

Post by Flash »

I wouldn't mind us trying to poach Ali Hepher. He might have a dubious previous club but he's part of a successful coaching team who like to integrate academy players. He might fancy making the step up to being the head honcho. Not sure if a big name coach is the way to go for longevity.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:50 pm Happy to give Geordan and the current coaching team a chance but we do need a proper defence coach and quickly. Someone proven whose sole focus is defence. This, for me, would be the place to inject a non-Leicester element.

The coaches under whom we have enjoyed most success (Richards, Wells, Howard, Cockers) have all been Tigers through and through and also played with the players they went on to manage which is why I am supportive of Geordan who of, course, worked with and has no doubt learned from all the aforesaid gentlemen. I think he might surprise a few people.
Personally, I’d favour the best coach available even if they have no past history with the club. I’m increasingly of the view that being ‘Tigers through and through’ should be well down the requirements list.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:50 pm Happy to give Geordan and the current coaching team a chance but we do need a proper defence coach and quickly. Someone proven whose sole focus is defence. This, for me, would be the place to inject a non-Leicester element.

If Murphy does a good job, he won't have surprised me. I believe he will be a really good head coach. I'll be more surprised if he does a poor job.
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Vern Cotter? The reported 830k a year may prove a significant stumbling block... we’ll end up with a Murphy / Herring / Deacon / Allen combination on the basis that they used to play for the club and ‘understand the ethos’. Square one
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I would like to see Roundtree given a chance until the end of the season but as I have said many many times on here - Milton Haig would be my No 1 choice but he won't come till after the WC
Hehehehehehehehe
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

ellis9 wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:05 pm

If Murphy does a good job, he won't have surprised me. I believe he will be a really good head coach. I'll be more surprised if he does a poor job.
To be fair, unless they thought Murphy could do a better job, the board wouldn't have disposed of MOC.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

trendylfj wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:27 pm I would like to see Roundtree given a chance until the end of the season but as I have said many many times on here - Milton Haig would be my No 1 choice but he won't come till after the WC
No idea who Roundtree is so he doesn't get my vote.

Someone with a similar name is Rowntree but he doesn't get my vote either. :smt023
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

TigerMac3 wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:25 pm Vern Cotter? The reported 830k a year may prove a significant stumbling block... we’ll end up with a Murphy / Herring / Deacon / Allen combination on the basis that they used to play for the club and ‘understand the ethos’. Square one
That ethos is exactly what we are missing and desperately need to get back. We need our identity back also.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Re: Our next DoR...

Post by Chobbsy »

strawclearer wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:09 pm Lots of opportunities on other threads to bemoan or rejoice at MOC's departure - so let's turn our attention to the next Director of Rugby and/or Head Coach at our wonderful, amazing Club!

I'll start...

A few have mentioned Stuart Lancaster - who seemingly loves Leinster and is loved back. I'm reminded though of a certain Chris Evans, who said today:

"Some of us are mountain climbers [but] if you get to the top of your favourite mountain and you stay there, you become an observer. I want to keep climbing."

Lancaster - an observer or a climber? Would you want him? Who would be your choice?
If England don’t want him I would really like JOHN Mitchell
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Ben Ryan is a great shout, him and Bakewell could really install a new culture at the Tigers.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

What this thread is telling me is that nobody is jumping out in terms of an available head coach/DoR to take on this mess.after the initial relief that Matt is no longer at the helm, it’s going to be very difficult to get someone in who can really make a difference. I like the Lancaster shout with Alex Sanderson as his right hand man.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

It seems that a lot of us are suggesting a youngish head coach who has played fairly recently backed up by a more experienced coach.
Pretty sure that’s what we know have so maybe it’s that DOR position that needs looking at and get rid of Glynn and Cohen
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

ourla wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:20 pm Although he's continually ruled himself out I would sit on Martin Johnson's doorstep and continually call his mobile until he surrendered and signed a contract.
If he does not want to coach, how about as a replacement for Ben Kay on the board?
cheltexile

Post by cheltexile »

With Cohen involved we will pick the cheapest option we can get away with and be stuck in the same position this time next season.