The next New Head Coach / DOR?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Who would you like to see as the next Head Coach / DOR of Leicester Tigers?

Poll ended at Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:53 am

Ben Ryan
10%
Vern Cotter
13%
Stuart Lancaster
8%
Geordan Murphy
28%
Ronan O Gara
5%
Andy Farrell
1%
Graham Rowntree
3%
Milton Haig
3%
John Mitchell
5%
Daryl Gibson
8%
Wayne Smith
4%
Robbie Deans
6%
Jim Mallender
1%
Mike Ford
4%

Total votes: 118

champanzie
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: The next New Head Coach / DOR?

Post by champanzie »

ellis9 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:45 pm
champanzie wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:42 pm
ellis9 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:21 pm

See Tigerbeats answer.
Sorry I must of missed the part about Tigers being in profit the past financial year.

Also if you actually read what i have put, I said Tigers should base their coaching model on team like Sarries, I didnt say anything about losing money. Sarries brought in successful and proven coaches. Its what we need to do! Sarries created the 'wolf pack' and it worked. Im sure Gustard will create the same environment and team etho's at Quin's.
"I don't know if anybody has watched 'All or nothing' about Man City. If not give it a watch, That is how a club and business should be run! This is similar way Sarries set up is run."

That's what you said.
Yes i did say that. Both clubs are building for the future. They might be in debt now but both have made the clubs more valuable.

You also said you would like to lose money like Sarries every year.... We lose money like Sarries every year!

Ellis9 I think you have an issue with everyone else's opinion if its not yours...
Come on you tigers!
Tigerbeat

Re: Who would you like to see as the new DOR / Head Coach?

Post by Tigerbeat »

Whilst Tigers may have had a loss last year, it was nowhere near the losses suffered by Sarries and other clubs. Sarries were successfull over the last three years or so and have still made heavy losses.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Crumblies
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crumblies »

Here is my twopence worth.
Who would I like to see?
Any of Rob Baxter, Pat Lamb or Joe Schmidt.

Right dreaming over it ain’t gonna happen so let’s get realistic.

I can’t believe some of the names being banded around on here, from previous failures elsewhere Mallinder, Lancaster etc, to the Leicester Tigers old school and inexperienced wanna be’s.

So it is what it is a cock up of monumental proportions, we’ve now got to play the hand we’ve been dealt, it’s the start of a new season and it’s a World Cup year so the chances of recruiting the standard of DOR/Head coach we want/need right now are slim to nonexistent. In any event like it or not who of that quality and in their right mind wants to come to Tigers given our track record with coacesDORs over the last few years?

So here’s my recommendation Geordan appears to be preordained as our chosen one, both by fans and the board, let’s be honest is their anyone associated with Tigers who who wouldn’t love him to succeed. However much as I admired him as a player IMHO the jury is still out on him making a top class coach so give him the job on an interim basis for the rest of the season and let’s see what he makes of it.

Then To be fair to Geordan he needs help and guidance that means someone coming in as DOR. IMHO and many on here Not ex Tigers! So who’s available to do the job on an interim basis, someone who will (I)help Geordan and the coaches, (I) get respect from players, (iii) is calm, rational dignified etc but strong enough to tell Cohen etc to stop interfering in Rugby matters and go and play with his calculator and when he’s needed we’ll let him know. Answer Mike Ford as far as I know he’s available and strikes me he ticks all the boxes, I.e. when Bruce Craig kept telling him what to do and who should be picked he let him know who was responsible for the playing side of the business. Also when at Toulon and Cockers became available he was in there like a flash had him there as forwards coach for the rest of the season, that sound judgement should count for something for many on here. I know he has two sons at the club and that’s not ideal, but I honestly believe he is a man of integrity and will not let that cloud his judgement.

So there it is my view Mike Ford DOR, Geordan Murphy Head coach. Appoint them both on an interim 1 year basis with the caveat if they achieve reasonable success I.e Prem playoffs, Euro quarters then it becomes, permanent. Last but by no means least message to the BOD be open and honest with them, the other coaches and above all us as the long suffering supporters that this is what you’ve done, then butt out and let them get on with it. It’s transparent to everyone and we can all get on and give them and the players our 100% support.
rich1576

Post by rich1576 »

I was listening to the Radio 5 rugby podcast and something struck me when they were getting Ugo Monye's thoughts on the sacking. He said that for a club to make this kind of decision after just one game, they must have been looking for a suitable replacement for some time to very quickly step in and it wouldn't be surprising if the club don't make an anouncement soon on a replacement.

Is it me or is it coincidence that Graham Rowntree recently left Harlequins for "personal reasons"?

As much as I think Graham was a great player and Tiger man, I don't think he would be the right man, so I hope I'm wrong.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

rich1576 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:27 pm I was listening to the Radio 5 rugby podcast and something struck me when they were getting Ugo Monye's thoughts on the sacking. He said that for a club to make this kind of decision after just one game, they must have been looking for a suitable replacement for some time to very quickly step in and it wouldn't be surprising if the club don't make an anouncement soon on a replacement.

Is it me or is it coincidence that Graham Rowntree recently left Harlequins for "personal reasons"?

As much as I think Graham was a great player and Tiger man, I don't think he would be the right man, so I hope I'm wrong.
This reeks of cock-up not conspiracy. And so we are in the worst possible part of the WC cycle to recruit a new DoR/HC - that's what'll take the time and/or give Geordie the time to prove himself capable or not. Like you, I hope I'm wrong.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Either MOC knew he was dead in the water and that is why he came back two weeks late OR the BoD still had faith but after he came back two weeks late, screwed up pre-season and presided over a good hiding, they realised that faith was badly misplaced. The answer would tell us a lot.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

rich1576 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:27 pm I was listening to the Radio 5 rugby podcast and something struck me when they were getting Ugo Monye's thoughts on the sacking. He said that for a club to make this kind of decision after just one game, they must have been looking for a suitable replacement for some time to very quickly step in and it wouldn't be surprising if the club don't make an anouncement soon on a replacement.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/45411381

"Murphy spent 16 seasons as a player at the Welford Road club and has been part of the coaching staff since retiring at the end of the 2013 season.

He said he had not yet had time to talk to his family about the prospect of taking the job on a permanent basis, but as far as he was aware, the club were not close to appointing a new head coach.

Read into that what you will, appointment next Monday then :smt002

Oh, and typically BBC... "A Tigers legend as a player, Murphy has stepped up to replace Matt O'Connor, who was sacked on Tuesday evening."

Can't get detail correct, even when publishing a story on Tuesday afternoon and the coach was sacked the evening before...that would be Monday :smt023
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: The next New Head Coach / DOR?

Post by ellis9 »

champanzie wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:52 pm
ellis9 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:45 pm
champanzie wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:42 pm

Sorry I must of missed the part about Tigers being in profit the past financial year.

Also if you actually read what i have put, I said Tigers should base their coaching model on team like Sarries, I didnt say anything about losing money. Sarries brought in successful and proven coaches. Its what we need to do! Sarries created the 'wolf pack' and it worked. Im sure Gustard will create the same environment and team etho's at Quin's.
"I don't know if anybody has watched 'All or nothing' about Man City. If not give it a watch, That is how a club and business should be run! This is similar way Sarries set up is run."

That's what you said.
Yes i did say that. Both clubs are building for the future. They might be in debt now but both have made the clubs more valuable.

You also said you would like to lose money like Sarries every year.... We lose money like Sarries every year!

Ellis9 I think you have an issue with everyone else's opinion if its not yours...
I don't have an issues with other people's opinions. I just like to give mine and question others which is what opinions and conversations are about.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

As it's unlikely we will get Baxter to be DoR and Wayne Smith to coach the backs, I think Crumblies is about right with Mike Ford/Geordie on a temp contract until we see how that goes.

However I think the club will give Murphy some time to see if he can make an impact and I would respect that decision.
Soggypitch
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Soggypitch wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:51 pm As it's unlikely we will get Baxter to be DoR and Wayne Smith to coach the backs, I think Crumblies is about right with Mike Ford/Geordie on a temp contract until we see how that goes.

However I think the club will give Murphy some time to see if he can make an impact and I would respect that decision.
Temporary contract? What's the point in that? Murphy has been given the job on an interim basis so either he will do an excellent job and be given it permanently or someone else will get the job permanently.
Crumblies
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crumblies »

Interim, temporary, same thing to me, and I’m most others knew what I meant

For what it’s worth Ellis

Interim definition:
in or for the intervening period; provisional.
"an interim arrangement"

synonyms: provisional, temporary, pro tem, stopgap, short-term, fill-in, caretaker, acting, intervening, transitional, changeover, make-do, makeshift, improvised, impromptu, emergency; More
pro tempore, ad interim;
rareprovisory, provisionary
"he appointed an interim advisory committee"

antonyms: permanent

Still whatever, just to please you,
circumstances being what they we are not likely to be able to recruit a new Head coach until the end of the season consequently in the INTERIM I propose asking Geordan Murphy to fill that role and Mike Ford be recruited as acting DOR. If this is a success then both be offered the posts on a more permanent (antonym of interim and temporary) basis.

Just shows opinions vary, what others call advocating 15 man rugby, you call throwing the ball around with gay abandon.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Well put Crumblies but I fear you may be wasting your breath!!
Soggypitch
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Crumblies wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:15 pm Interim, temporary, same thing to me, and I’m most others knew what I meant

For what it’s worth Ellis

Interim definition:
in or for the intervening period; provisional.
"an interim arrangement"

synonyms: provisional, temporary, pro tem, stopgap, short-term, fill-in, caretaker, acting, intervening, transitional, changeover, make-do, makeshift, improvised, impromptu, emergency; More
pro tempore, ad interim;
rareprovisory, provisionary
"he appointed an interim advisory committee"

antonyms: permanent

Still whatever, just to please you,
circumstances being what they we are not likely to be able to recruit a new Head coach until the end of the season consequently in the INTERIM I propose asking Geordan Murphy to fill that role and Mike Ford be recruited as acting DOR. If this is a success then both be offered the posts on a more permanent (antonym of interim and temporary) basis.

Just shows opinions vary, what others call advocating 15 man rugby, you call throwing the ball around with gay abandon.
They've put Murphy in charge until they make a decision on who to appoint permanently. There's no need to bring anyone else in above Murphy temporarily. If they didn't feel he could handle it, they wouldn't have given him the job temporarily.

Oh and by the way, I don't need an English lesson. :smt023
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

How about this as a coaching team ready for next season?

Head Coach- Geordan Murphy
Assistant Coach/Attack Coach- Sam Vesty
Forwards Coach- Mark Bakewell
Scrum Coach- Boris Stankovich
Defence Coach- Anthony Allen
Lineout Coach- Brett Deacon
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Just to have a light hearted laugh, when I read comments like "Have you been watching the same game as me", and "what was the ref doing why didnt he see this that or the other"?

so Question, why didn't anyone spot that Andy Farrell is on the list twice and how many of you voted for him twice and wasted 1 vote? :smt046