The next New Head Coach / DOR?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Who would you like to see as the next Head Coach / DOR of Leicester Tigers?

Poll ended at Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:53 am

Ben Ryan
10%
Vern Cotter
13%
Stuart Lancaster
8%
Geordan Murphy
28%
Ronan O Gara
5%
Andy Farrell
1%
Graham Rowntree
3%
Milton Haig
3%
John Mitchell
5%
Daryl Gibson
8%
Wayne Smith
4%
Robbie Deans
6%
Jim Mallender
1%
Mike Ford
4%

Total votes: 118

ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: Who would you like to see as the new DOR / Head Coach?

Post by ellis9 »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:23 am
ellis9 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:05 am
WhitecapTiger wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:53 am

Worked fine for me, click on the boxes on up to three names (from the list provided) that you would want/consider then when happy click 'submit vote'.
I voted for one. How do I now tick 2 others?
Not sure you can once you've submitted the vote
It's a good job I chose my first choice first then! Instructions on how the system works would have been beneficial.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: The next New Head Coach / DOR?

Post by RagingBull »

Tough none of the players on Saturday looked fit.

You also have the issue in the pack that none had played together during preseason as a unit.
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:26 am Tough none of the players on Saturday looked fit.

You also have the issue in the pack that none had played together during preseason as a unit.
Who's control was that under I wonder? Did the apparent 2 weeks late to pre-season by MoC have a bearing on it?
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

The head coach whoever it is will be responsible for coaching a part of the team, you do not need a Forwards based head coach if someone else has the job of coaching the forwards, you can only have a forwards coach and an assistant, the same rule applies to the backs. We all have our ideas of who should come as Head Coach, Geordan has got the job in the interim whilst the world is scoured to find the ideal fit, if we have success in that time is Geordan to be replaced for the unknown or do you stick with the man who is making a good fist of it. There are many wanting a complete outsider, we have had that previously with Dwyer, Lofreda and Meyer none of whom hit the high notes. Our most successful coaches/DOR's have been Deano appointed with no previous experience, Pat Howard, very little experience and Cocker appointed on an interim basis after Meyer's untimely exit for personal reasons. The teams improvement under Cocker made it impossible to replace him, Geordie could do the same.
We have had four Southern Hemisphere coaches Dwyer, Howard, Lofreda and Matt O Connor, only one counts as successful.
Many are saying our rugby is old fashioned and out of date yet we have just been stuffed by a team doing very well exactly what we used to do and frankly have not done of late. If the Murphy way works stick with it, if it does not then complete the search, I believe we now have a good squad of players and a good crop of youngsters all we have to do is work out a way of getting the ball down over the try line four times in eighty minutes and I don't care how just get the job done.
chappie
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by chappie »

For me and I’m not alone on this view I would rush the board to appoint Robbie Deans as DoR, the man brings a wealth on knowledge and would bring the stability, leadership and man management that the players would respect and adear to. We hear all to much about senior player power and I dare I say this could be half or part of the problem? With Deans the players would look upto him and respect him as the man is a coaching legend, he would get the best out of the players and coaches, his record is second to none and would show a intent to move forward if the board go after his services, what they always say, Welcome to the home of World class Rugby, well let’s hope the board see sence and go for a truly World class DoR 😀
Franck Tournaire Number 1 fan.
Latecomer

Post by Latecomer »

Surprised no-one is talking about Dai Young. Done a brilliant job at Wasps and they seriously need cash, so how much to buy him out?
happywomble

Post by happywomble »

Hadn't seen Rory Teagues name associated with the vacant spot before. Aside from him, it seems they have been following this thread! :smt002

http://www.talkingrugbyunion.co.uk/nine ... /21080.htm
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Latecomer wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:44 pm Surprised no-one is talking about Dai Young. Done a brilliant job at Wasps and they seriously need cash, so how much to buy him out?
He hasn't won anything with all those talented players. Why would he win things with ours?
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

ourla wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:20 pm Although he's continually ruled himself out I would sit on Martin Johnson's doorstep and continually call his mobile until he surrendered and signed a contract.
Why? he was bullied into takin the England job that he didn't want and look where that leaded, he is not interested, has very little experience ..... let him get on with stuff he enjoys
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Who would you like to see as the new DOR / Head Coach?

Post by Rykard »

Maybe we should appoint after the 2019 wc? I think the whole structure needs a look at as we seem to be a couple of coaches and DOR light. There doesn't seem to me to be a really clear distinction on who is responsible for what...
cheers
Rich
champanzie
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by champanzie »

ellis9 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:09 am
champanzie wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:58 am The 'Tigers way' style of coach is not working for us and has'nt for several years. We need to move with the times. We need fresh blood from outside and feel we need an entire new coaching set up. The coach's we have are all stale and set in their ways.

Forwards apart from Denton and Spencer had not improved from last year - New forwards coach needed
Backs still look clueless and no direction - New backs coach needed
The whole team had no attacking threat. Nobody running into gaps, no moves completed, no tries scored - New attack coach needed
Fitness for the whole team was way off - Strength and conditioning coach needed
Defence was terrible, seen a stat that we missed nearly 50 tackles on Saturday. Deacon not up to the job - New defence coach needed.

I don't know if anybody has watched 'All or nothing' about Man City. If not give it a watch, That is how a club and business should be run! This is similar way Sarries set up is run. Tigers now have to base their coaching model on a team like Saracens.

We are not going to improve unless major changes happen and Murphy is not the answer!
Run the club like Saracens and Man City?

Please tell me you're joking?!
Yes Ellis9! Run a business like Man City like Man City. Yes they had a lot of money pumped into them initially but they are building a business and it will become profitable. Watch the program on Man City and you will understand. Why wouldnt you want to be like Sarries?? You wouldnt want to be successful? They have double our backroom staff and look at the difference in play. Tigers do not need money pumping in... They have the ground, they have the players, we just need a completely different coaching set up to what we have had for the past 5 years! People need to get away from Ex player taking on the roles. We need a world class coach to come in and sort the issues out. For example you want Cockers back... Please tell me your joking???!!! he caused several of the issues we currently have!
Come on you tigers!
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

champanzie wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:12 pm
champanzie wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:58 am The 'Tigers way' style of coach is not working for us and has'nt for several years. We need to move with the times. We need fresh blood from outside and feel we need an entire new coaching set up. The coach's we have are all stale and set in their ways.

Forwards apart from Denton and Spencer had not improved from last year - New forwards coach needed
The whole team had no attacking threat. Nobody running into gaps, no moves completed, no tries scored - New attack coach needed
Defence was terrible, seen a stat that we missed nearly 50 tackles on Saturday. Deacon not up to the job - New defence coach needed.

I don't know if anybody has watched 'All or nothing' about Man City. If not give it a watch, That is how a club and business should be run! This is similar way Sarries set up is run. Tigers now have to base their coaching model on a team like Saracens.

We are not going to improve unless major changes happen and Murphy is not the answer!

Yes Ellis9! Run a business like Man City like Man City. Yes they had a lot of money pumped into them initially but they are building a business and it will become profitable. Watch the program on Man City and you will understand. Why wouldnt you want to be like Sarries?? You wouldnt want to be successful? They have double our backroom staff and look at the difference in play. Tigers do not need money pumping in... They have the ground, they have the players, we just need a completely different coaching set up to what we have had for the past 5 years! People need to get away from Ex player taking on the roles. We need a world class coach to come in and sort the issues out. For example you want Cockers back... Please tell me your joking???!!! he caused several of the issues we currently have!
Man City are heavily in debt and Sarries are losing money heavily each season....Tigers do not want to be burdened with these issues
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

See Tigerbeats answer.
champanzie
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by champanzie »

ellis9 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:21 pm

See Tigerbeats answer.
Sorry I must of missed the part about Tigers being in profit the past financial year.

Also if you actually read what i have put, I said Tigers should base their coaching model on team like Sarries, I didnt say anything about losing money. Sarries brought in successful and proven coaches. Its what we need to do! Sarries created the 'wolf pack' and it worked. Im sure Gustard will create the same environment and team etho's at Quin's.
Come on you tigers!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

champanzie wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:42 pm
ellis9 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:21 pm

See Tigerbeats answer.
Sorry I must of missed the part about Tigers being in profit the past financial year.

Also if you actually read what i have put, I said Tigers should base their coaching model on team like Sarries, I didnt say anything about losing money. Sarries brought in successful and proven coaches. Its what we need to do! Sarries created the 'wolf pack' and it worked. Im sure Gustard will create the same environment and team etho's at Quin's.
"I don't know if anybody has watched 'All or nothing' about Man City. If not give it a watch, That is how a club and business should be run! This is similar way Sarries set up is run."

That's what you said.