Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: MOC GONE

Post by voice of the crumbie »

4071 wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:57 pm
markharbtiger wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:15 pm On the face of it the timing of this - one game in - seems unfortunate. If there was serious disquiet after last season then what happened today should have happened ages ago giving time to recruit a replacement...or give the guy a chance to redeem himself. I suspect Saturday was the proverbial straw...
I feel the same way. I'm glad he's gone, but the way it's happened is ridiculous. One game does not make or break a DoR - either he had the faith of the board after last season or he didn't. If he didn't, he should have gone at the end of last season. If he did, then given him some games to justify that faith.

I'm in the 'He never should have been hired in the first place' school, and I'd have booted him after last season. But not ONE GAME into this season. That makes the board look ridiculous and amateurish.
I have to disagree. MOC admitted that his players were un or underprepared for the Exeter game. Getting them ready was totally his responsibility and he failed. If he had been allowed to continue what guarantee would there be that the players would be ready for Saturday or after that Wasps etc etc? On the basis of past performance none whatsoever. Whilst I take no pleasure in an individual being summarily dismissed, as a long time supporter who wants to see his club fulfil its undoubted potential MOC's conduct of the pre-season is at best incompetent and at worst grossly negligent. He had to go and I'm glad the board got on with it. Time to move on and get behind Geordan and the team.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

I'd love to know more about why MOC came back from Oz two weeks late. Something was up big style.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Yet another embarrassment for the club. This is the ultimate result of their 'worldwide search' for a new coach? Limping their way to 5th place, a disastrous preseason, and a humiliation by a team playing much like we did back at our heyday. :smt009

Time to stop with the scapegoats, and seriously start putting pressure on those making the decisions at the club.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

A couple of years ago I would have been happy to see Cocker retained and MOC brought in as backs coach. Obviously none of us were happy with the way we played last year but I believed that the changes made to the squad during the close season were good and that Our coach would have a few matches to prove himself and his team. I travelled to Exeter with a certain amount of confidence, if not a win then possibly a losing bonus point, I certainly did not expect the poor performance we saw. However I am shocked by the speed of the Boards action, I don't think it reflects well on our club but if we start winning and winning well then the decision is justified.
I still believe in the squad, and I still feel that the changes made to our Academy are about to bare fruit, I think we have the best crop of youngsters the club has had in many years and over the next few seasons I expect the club to revert to our own produced players with the odd signing to fill in the gaps, then we will have the team spirit that Exeter showed on Saturday and we had a the turn of the century.
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

ourla wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:31 pm I'd love to know more about why MOC came back from Oz two weeks late. Something was up big style.
Im with you on this I suspect there is way more to this point that most are giving thought.

I also suspect MOC was the reason alot of the positive signings we anticipated (in addition to those we got) didn't happen.

Now whos for Toomua at 10 this week :smt044
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

speedski wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:37 am
ourla wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:31 pm I'd love to know more about why MOC came back from Oz two weeks late. Something was up big style.
Im with you on this I suspect there is way more to this point that most are giving thought.

I also suspect MOC was the reason alot of the positive signings we anticipated (in addition to those we got) didn't happen.

He’s with the wallabies 🙄
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

Whilst this is probably the right decision it is at totally the wrong time.

Preseason wasted.
Summer signings done to the old coaches requirement
World cup next year so everyone trying to stay settled until then

As poor as I thought MOC was I think he'd have done a better job with the resources he wanted then anyone else we'll be able to bring in before the end of the WC
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

JP14 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:47 am

He’s with the wallabies 🙄
Gah - on holiday abroad and forgot that!

Maybe in a few weeks then!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

You mean the bloke who was totally anonymous against Exeter, though to be fair he wasn’t alone and should never have been picked to start
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Spot on Mark 62. A decision that shows why O'Connor had to go. Why pick a possibly jet lagged player whose mind was probably still in Australia test mode (haven't we commented before with regard to our England players that they seem to take time to readjust to Tigers when they return from international duties?) when you have available, in Eastmond, a player who showed the previous week that he was definitely prepared and also up for it in both attack and defence?
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

Mark62 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:45 am

You mean the bloke who was totally anonymous against Exeter, though to be fair he wasn’t alone and should never have been picked to start
I wouldn't have insisted he come back tbh - but then again, had he not people would have blamed him being missing for a bad game.

He's had his best games for us at 10 - everyone bar MOC knows this.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Tomooa was just off a plane from Oz and should not have started. having just done that Journey myself I can tell you I would not have wanted to play in a runaround in the park let alone a first premiership game in a season against Chiefs away. Eastmond looked good it was bizarre he did not start.

I have to disagree about summer signings .. I think with the right coaching we largely bought the personnel that we needed .. a big second row, a ball carrying back row and a very good back up centre.

I agree that the summer training pre season is completely wasted and this should have been done at the end of last year after the Falcons game but I do not think the recruitment was wrong apart from one of the props who looked out of his depth as usual.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Mightymouse, I agree.
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

Feels to me as if all the fevered speculation and wishful thinking about MOC’s successor is moot. I can’t envisage anyone wanting to work for the current Board and CEO. All the guff about “a great club” and a “glorious history” must mean little when the present reality would be to be line-managed by arrogant, out-of-touch incompetents. It wouldn’t matter if we had Steve Hansen and Rob Baxter on a job share - Tigers will not escape their current position whilst the Board stays as it is.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

:smt003
chris111 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:11 am Feels to me as if all the fevered speculation and wishful thinking about MOC’s successor is moot. I can’t envisage anyone wanting to work for the current Board and CEO. All the guff about “a great club” and a “glorious history” must mean little when the present reality would be to be line-managed by arrogant, out-of-touch incompetents. It wouldn’t matter if we had Steve Hansen and Rob Baxter on a job share - Tigers will not escape their current position whilst the Board stays as it is.
:smt003 :smt005 :smt030
Soggypitch