MOC GONE

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Louis

Re: MOC GONE

Post by Louis »

fentiger wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:54 pm
Louis wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:39 pm Edit: P.S. All this said, Cockers out, 4 months for Mauger, less than a year and a half for MoC? All a bit soccer for my tastes. If best gone, best gone soon, I get it. But how many people can lose the dressing room?
Don't think MOC had the dressing room from the start! :smt017
Fair point. Makes one wonder how it lasted so long. Mauger was gone PDQ.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

markharbtiger wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:15 pm On the face of it the timing of this - one game in - seems unfortunate. If there was serious disquiet after last season then what happened today should have happened ages ago giving time to recruit a replacement...or give the guy a chance to redeem himself. I suspect Saturday was the proverbial straw...
I feel the same way. I'm glad he's gone, but the way it's happened is ridiculous. One game does not make or break a DoR - either he had the faith of the board after last season or he didn't. If he didn't, he should have gone at the end of last season. If he did, then given him some games to justify that faith.

I'm in the 'He never should have been hired in the first place' school, and I'd have booted him after last season. But not ONE GAME into this season. That makes the board look ridiculous and amateurish.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Pat Howard or Wayne Smith would be my fantasy appointments....

Not more antipodeans!! :smt003
Soggypitch
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

4071 wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:57 pm I'm in the 'He never should have been hired in the first place' school, and I'd have booted him after last season. But not ONE GAME into this season. That makes the board look ridiculous and amateurish.
The way the statement has come from Tom, suggests to me he has seized the moment over Cohen!
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

The bloke should never of got the job to start with, but this appears to be a massive knee jerk reaction, he should of gone end of last season or before first game, this makes Chelsea FC look sane! If the players have again got a coach fired they should be told in no uncertain terms there job is to play rugby not play politics & they should be next to be fired (After Cohen)

At present I have little faith in the right person being appointed.

We either try to buy out Rennie from Glasgow or Townsend from Scotland or wait till after RWC.

Scott Robertson from Crusaders would be an excellent choice, but I doubt he would touch us with a barge pole after Maugers' treatment, absolutely no way do we want Jake White, awful rugby, pretty awful character.

Will happily take GM for season, try to involve Wig & Johnno to inject some passion, maybe send the team to work on Julian Whites farm for a bit.....
To win is not as important as playing with style!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

fentiger wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:01 pm
4071 wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:57 pm I'm in the 'He never should have been hired in the first place' school, and I'd have booted him after last season. But not ONE GAME into this season. That makes the board look ridiculous and amateurish.
The way the statement has come from Tom, suggests to me he has seized the moment over Cohen!
He should make the statement - he made the appointment!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

parqs wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:07 pm And the Tigers board paid consultants to find the right guy to lead the team !! Not surprised by the news but others need to look in the mirror and realise they need to improve or they too will be joining MOC !!
Too damn right!!
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

:smt026 :smt026 :smt006 :smt006
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

loretta wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:10 pmAnd yet, the best bit of the day is still that O’Connor has gone!!! Brilliant!! :smt026
I really don't think this is something to celebrate.

It's a time to reflect on the :censored: show the club have presided over in the last three seasons and attempt to put it right asap.

I honestly take no joy in MOC's sacking. I will give you that is removed the complete killing of enthusiasm for the season Saturday bestowed upon me but it's not filled my world with sunshine.
Crivvens
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crivvens »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:49 pm I'm just going to say I wouldn't mind Newby being looked at as a breakdown coach.
I've said this for a while now. He was interviewed on Radio Leicester a while back (maybe a year or so) and while he admitted he'd love to come back in some capacity he thought it was maybe too early in his development. A year on, maybe he'll consider it.
Blimey...
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

ourla wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:11 pm
loretta wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:10 pmAnd yet, the best bit of the day is still that O’Connor has gone!!! Brilliant!! :smt026
I really don't think this is something to celebrate.

It's a time to reflect on the :censored: show the club have presided over in the last three seasons and attempt to put it right asap.

I honestly take no joy in MOC's sacking. I will give you that is removed the complete killing of enthusiasm for the season Saturday bestowed upon me but it's not filled my world with sunshine.
I said in my first post Ourla that I'm sad for MOC and his family. Never nice for someone to lose their job. I also agree with 4071 that this decision does make the BoDs look amateurish and open to ridicule.
BUT eventually they have got it right and belatedly made the right decision.
However Cohen at the very least should be following him out of the door.
Soggypitch
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Hey Rugby coach sacked after one game - that's another one for the MoC record book :smt002
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

The timing is bizarre imo. A whole off-season and pre-season largely wasted. One result in? Wow! That's just incredible. Which coach will want to come in after that?

Something else must have happened. A row with Cohen or Tom, or perhaps Scott (who was at Sandy Park I'm told)? If its player-power (again?) then is that really a great thing??? They were the ones on the park on Saturday not MOC and must surely take some responsibility for what happened. And presumably there's no-one set up tp replace, so the Board must be prepared for this to be a further lost year, possibly until after the World Cup or perhaps 'just' until next Southern Hemisphere season end. If so, what were they thinking in May?

The new appointment must have real stature to ensure they have player respect (not 'warm feelings but deep respect - we were told MOC was a 'popular' choice among some players, which isn't a good sign). Those are few and far between.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Well it's no surprise, personally I think it's a very difficult job made impossible by poor recruitment.
I'd bet that he is quite relieved, you could see the lack of belief and to be honest I can understand why, anyone who believes this squad is of the highest quality by European standards is kidding themselves, it's talented but it is severely lacking in several areas.
A club that wants to challenge simply canno't be losing players like McGuigan or dare I say it even Thacker when the current skipper canno't hit a barn door at the line out and has been the case for far too long, nor can they be losing props like Mulipola and missing out on high quality such as Cordero to rivals, and all whilst giving out big money to players who don't perform consistently.
There are a glut of previous Tigers dotted around the league that I would gladly take back instead of the underperforming big names currently holding the green jerseys.
Big changes required in my opinion!
Dave
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Dave »

Tigers crazy DOR recruitment does not just make them look stupid. It poisons the water for potential signing.

Get a good DOR and players want to play under them. As we leave a trail of DORs in our wake I bet more and more players are put off.