LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Post by RagingBull »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:55 am Hardwick signed his last contract when he was an development player. That's what 40k? He's now in and around the first team, even when not in the 23 he's in the travelling squad in case someone drops out in the warm up. Bound to want wages that show he's part of the senior squad proper. If we don't give it to him someone else will.

As an aside a few months in NZ would probably do him good if it could be arranged.
TigerMac3 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:53 am The Rugby Paper referring to Hardwick as Rob rather than Tom may show how much journo work has actually gone in...
:smt005
Fissler quoting it at £65,000 currently.
The NZ thing would only be to get out of the compensation rules. Like Basham quitting rugby to go to Uni in Newcastle when really he will be signed up after the New year and Falcons won't have to pay Irish a dime.

also Linking Pieter Steph du Toit and RG Snyman to sale.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

JP14 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:44 am I hope this isn’t going ot be another Mafi situation but if Glynn fails to get Jones in then that should really be his cue to leave.
Why? If Jones has changed his mind then what can anyone do?
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Don’t forget Fissler reported that Toomua had signed for Wasps, not Tigers, so is hardly a reliable source!
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:37 am Don’t forget Fissler reported that Toomua had signed for Wasps, not Tigers, so is hardly a reliable source!
On a similar note, the BBC commentator on the Eng v Aus highlights described Toomua as a Melbourne Rebels player.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:06 am
sam16111986 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:55 am Hardwick signed his last contract when he was an development player. That's what 40k? He's now in and around the first team, even when not in the 23 he's in the travelling squad in case someone drops out in the warm up. Bound to want wages that show he's part of the senior squad proper. If we don't give it to him someone else will.

As an aside a few months in NZ would probably do him good if it could be arranged.
TigerMac3 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:53 am The Rugby Paper referring to Hardwick as Rob rather than Tom may show how much journo work has actually gone in...
:smt005
Fissler quoting it at £65,000 currently.
The NZ thing would only be to get out of the compensation rules. Like Basham quitting rugby to go to Uni in Newcastle when really he will be signed up after the New year and Falcons won't have to pay Irish a dime.

also Linking Pieter Steph du Toit and RG Snyman to sale.
Salaries are nearly always inflated in the press. Sounds like he now sees himself as a first team squad player and wants like for like remuneration.

Sale are linked to pretty much every South African going at the minute. Having said that I'd be very happy to see either come to us and Sale would be in the same boat.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

ellis9 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:09 am
JP14 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:44 am I hope this isn’t going ot be another Mafi situation but if Glynn fails to get Jones in then that should really be his cue to leave.
I dont know if the process has changed, but Tigers always used to hold fire on putting pen to paper until the last possible moment. That was when we were always in Top 4 etc. We have to accept that Brand Tigers isnt the draw it was at the moment and as such if weve got a contract ready with a player happy, get him to sign it!
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

TTRITH wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:32 pm
ellis9 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:09 am
I dont know if the process has changed, but Tigers always used to hold fire on putting pen to paper until the last possible moment. That was when we were always in Top 4 etc. We have to accept that Brand Tigers isnt the draw it was at the moment and as such if weve got a contract ready with a player happy, get him to sign it!
We can't force him to sign it.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

With Jones I guess we’ll just have to wait and see until an announcement is made. Lots of sources coming out saying the deal is off, some saying it’s still on, none of which are particularly reliable. With the AIs over hopefully it will be this week.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

I am keen to see Hardwick progress with Tigers BUT if Hardwick wants to double his wages after a few first team appearances then he better start showing that he has advanced from the England U20's and start scoring tries and kicking points for us. That wayward kick today when Saracens were down to 13 and with men outside him showed me he has a lot of work to do in those pink boots to convince Tigers.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

The word from a Scottish friend who is normally on the money is that the Jones deal is deffo dead in the water due to the Scottish RFU stepping in with a central contract/salary support to enable Glasgow to match Jones's demands.
Hehehehehehehehe
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

trendylfj wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:55 am The word from a Scottish friend who is normally on the money is that the Jones deal is deffo dead in the water due to the Scottish RFU stepping in with a central contract/salary support to enable Glasgow to match Jones's demands.
Shame, would have been a good replacement for Toomua. Were we ever realistically going to sign him, or do you think it was leaked by his agent in order to negotiate a better contract.

People have said that Ben Kay’s non-commital response last week on Rugby Tonight showed he knew then it wasn’t happening back then.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

wormus wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:34 pm I am keen to see Hardwick progress with Tigers BUT if Hardwick wants to double his wages after a few first team appearances then he better start showing that he has advanced from the England U20's and start scoring tries and kicking points for us. That wayward kick today when Saracens were down to 13 and with men outside him showed me he has a lot of work to do in those pink boots to convince Tigers.
The question is would you pay what is effectively your 3rd choice (behind G Ford and Toomua) fly half £130,000. I think not. The only clubs that pay that sort of money are those like Toulon where the 3rd choice is probably an international with more than a handful of caps and several years experience. I'm hoping the story is just press or agent talk because if Hardwick thinks he's that good he's living in cloud cuckoo land.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

I think the point here is that next Season Hardwick should be our bench Fly half / Centre , and No 1 Fly Half when George Ford is away . He is perfectly capable of filling that role now and the Club really needs to step up to the plate and offer something better. It is quite ludicrous to spend years developing a player then to waste those efforts just when he is becoming a useful member of the Squad. With a different 10 yesterday we might have won - I cannot think of any aspect of his play where he is not better than Joe Ford and in some , such as defence he is miles better .
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I haven't seen enough from Hardwick to suggest he's going to be particularly good - but he is as good as Joe Ford so why not play him as back up Fly Half this season and reward him with a new contract in May if he's performed well?

If he's demanding a big pay rise right now, then I can't see a justification for it.

As someone else pointed out, there are always a lot of image rights on top of salary. A friend of mine works in the legal department of a large financial services firm and is currently advising a Premiership rugby club that the proportion of image rights that they pay players (or more accurately, to companies set up by players) on top of salaries might be difficult to defend if HMRC come knocking.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

£130,000 :smt103 , would he like the penthouse suite in the hotel and a named car parking space at the front door with that!
TBH I can't believe that he gets or could demand £65,000!