LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Post by RagingBull »

I would counter argue that injuries was the main cause of regression for those two players.
Ellis Genge was signed as a 4th choice LH in the championship now look at him.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

I think its a case of kiss enough frogs...

The issue is that we have lost the core solidity that a Sarries and a Exeter have and by their own admission, took the template we created.

God knows exactly when, how or why, but in the past 10 years we've gone from a stable club with little turnover in squad terms to a club needing to find 10+ players every summer.

I recall Cockers saying that those days of players staying for longer than 3-4 years are gone but that seems to have been a self fulfilling prophesy to an extent if you look at where we were for many years and what Sarries and Exeter have managed to do.

As I've noted many times (as have many others) the underlying recruitment strategy adopted by the club over many years has resulted in where we find ourselves & it is going to be a long time turning the ship around unless we get a miracle in coaching, recruitment or academy players coming through.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:53 pm I think its a case of kiss enough frogs...

The issue is that we have lost the core solidity that a Sarries and a Exeter have and by their own admission, took the template we created.

God knows exactly when, how or why, but in the past 10 years we've gone from a stable club with little turnover in squad terms to a club needing to find 10+ players every summer.

I recall Cockers saying that those days of players staying for longer than 3-4 years are gone but that seems to have been a self fulfilling prophesy to an extent if you look at where we were for many years and what Sarries and Exeter have managed to do.

As I've noted many times (as have many others) the underlying recruitment strategy adopted by the club over many years has resulted in where we find ourselves & it is going to be a long time turning the ship around unless we get a miracle in coaching, recruitment or academy players coming through.
Can’t argue with anything said there.

Also I swear somewhere down the line, can’t find the interview, that Cockers said they wanted to sign more ex SH players as they would be available all year round to play for Tigers. Whether that was his idea or above his head I don’t know.

Obviously that policy must have been the start for the decline in the playing squad. Sarries and Exeter now have a core of quality players who have come through their academies. We’re now playing catch up.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/spor ... nt-2321155

Short term Injury signing for Veainu.
Flash

Post by Flash »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:09 pm https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/spor ... nt-2321155

If the board don't go out and get Daly it'll be a failure :smt040
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:09 pm https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/spor ... nt-2321155

Dare I say...

Tommy Bell?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Aaron Morris?

A return for Pakalani?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:22 am

Dare I say...

Tommy Bell?
He’s been out for nearly a year with a ACL injury hasn’t he?
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Aaron Morris - yes please but is he available????
Hehehehehehehehe
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Last year most of the contract extensions were announced middle of November. Any idea when we will hear who whether the players out of contract are staying?
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:08 am
Hot_Charlie wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:22 am

Dare I say...

Tommy Bell?
He’s been out for nearly a year with a ACL injury hasn’t he?
Ah. Inconvenient.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:07 pm
DeadlyDunc wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:53 pm I think its a case of kiss enough frogs...

Can’t argue with anything said there.

Also I swear somewhere down the line, can’t find the interview, that Cockers said they wanted to sign more ex SH players as they would be available all year round to play for Tigers. Whether that was his idea or above his head I don’t know.

Obviously that policy must have been the start for the decline in the playing squad. Sarries and Exeter now have a core of quality players who have come through their academies. We’re now playing catch up.
If you look at how many SH players that Sarries have had during the past ten years I'd take a guess that it's a larger number than Leicester.

I put the current state down to poor recruitment into the academy in the past.
It's something of a face fitting exercise for the connected in my opinion, you only need look at the consistent list of recognisable names year on year to know this.
The school influence has also played a big part but also little things such being a ball boy, just any kind of silly connection to get ahead when quite frankly they are just not good enough.
I know lads that don't play anymore who could walk out and be instantly better than what we sometimes get served up.
It's reducing the standard, the brain, the skills, the competitiveness, the desire etc.
Young players can learn as much from eachother than they can from coaches, if you fill out a squad with an amount of players who simply don't deserve to be there then that's enough to bring it all down.
The fighting spirit in some is pathetic in my opinion but I'm not surprised given how opportunities can be earned, that's something that Sarries seem to be at least achieving to a decent standard!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Agree BFG, streetfighters like Genge and Ford leveks of skill are there at 15, but the 'connected' get chosen.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:28 pm
ellis9 wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:27 pm
DeadlyDunc wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:28 pm

And my view is that recruiting another Leinster reserve won't improve our squad sufficiently to change our fortunes.

I'm not looking for big internationals but if we continue to raid the likes of mid-lower end Prem teams like Worcester, Newcastle, Bristol or the top teams reserves then guess what, we'll end up being as good as they are which isn't going to be towards the top of the table.

I know we have occasisonally unearthed a diamond like Genge, Parling etc but by and large they are exceptions to the rule, hence our current position and predicament.

As the old saying goes you can't polish a.....
Ok then, so which players who are not big internationals but also not other teams reserves are out of contract at the end of the season for us to try and sign?
Aye, Ellis, there lies the rub.

Good job we’ve got a top quality recruitment team in place so we get the best available.

Oh hold on...
I'm asking you, which players that are not top internationals but also not other clubs reserves, are available for us to sign?

Instead of avoiding the question and yet again, having a dig at the club, can you answer what I asked you?
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

jgriffin wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:29 am Agree BFG, streetfighters like Genge and Ford leveks of skill are there at 15, but the 'connected' get chosen.
Yes and it's growing, worse than it ever was when I was young I think.
A count around the league for those of us who know the older days reveals a growing trend in the former players son.
The impact on sponsorship will be damaging and has possibly already started as that image is a major turn off for large sponsors who want to appeal to the wider public.
Clubs that do too much of it will be found out by those who don't.