LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Post by RagingBull »

TBF just because we have a name doesn't mean they didn't deserve a spot.
And it has always been there, throughout history jobs for the boys has always been a thing and always will be unfortunately. Especially at the early stages of the academy, the hope is that come Development squad time the club is a bit more choosy about who they pick.

I'm hopeful that both Allen and Deacon being players from the pro era care more about results than pleasing an old boy (which hasn't always been the case).
Next season development squad will be telling IMO.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

ellis9 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:26 am
DeadlyDunc wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:28 pm
ellis9 wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:27 pm

Ok then, so which players who are not big internationals but also not other teams reserves are out of contract at the end of the season for us to try and sign?
Aye, Ellis, there lies the rub.

Good job we’ve got a top quality recruitment team in place so we get the best available.

Oh hold on...
I'm asking you, which players that are not top internationals but also not other clubs reserves, are available for us to sign?

Instead of avoiding the question and yet again, having a dig at the club, can you answer what I asked you?
I don’t know nor should I because I am not paid to know.

I’m a fan who follows tigers and I’m not up on the contractual situation of every player around the globe.

That is the job of the club and it’s staff, my point is that they demonstrably haven’t recruited well in many years and a Leinster reserve centre is not going to change our situation nor gives me any confidence the recruitment strategy employed for 10 years or so is changing
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

DD Ellis is just a diehard fan is all,his love for Tigers is absolute which at times leaves him very much blinkered but I respect his unflinching proeverythingTigers stance. But just as he is in the Tigers are never wrong camp there should be opposite views allowed. As with everything the truth probably lies somewhere in between
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:28 pm DD Ellis is just a diehard fan is all,his love for Tigers is absolute which at times leaves him very much blinkered but I respect his unflinching proeverythingTigers stance. But just as he is in the Tigers are never wrong camp there should be opposite views allowed. As with everything the truth probably lies somewhere in between
Yeah I know, I respect his views and opinions even though sometimes they don’t tally with mine.

Not sure it’s my job to list available players though!
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:10 pm
Scott1 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:28 pm DD Ellis is just a diehard fan is all,his love for Tigers is absolute which at times leaves him very much blinkered but I respect his unflinching proeverythingTigers stance. But just as he is in the Tigers are never wrong camp there should be opposite views allowed. As with everything the truth probably lies somewhere in between
Yeah I know, I respect his views and opinions even though sometimes they don’t tally with mine.

Well DD, you were indicating that Tigers were being derelict in not recruiting from a particular generic pool of players. Ellis was just asking for particular examples to show that such players were available to back up your allegation. On current evidence you might as well have insisted that the club were derelict in not recruiting Batman and Superman and when asked how that could happen as they are not real, respond with, 'That's not my problem.' Could you meet Ellis half way and name just one top, but not international, who is out of contract and a viable target for Tigers to recruit?
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

BFG wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:44 pm
jgriffin wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:29 am Agree BFG, streetfighters like Genge and Ford leveks of skill are there at 15, but the 'connected' get chosen.
Yes and it's growing, worse than it ever was when I was young I think.
A count around the league for those of us who know the older days reveals a growing trend in the former players son.
The impact on sponsorship will be damaging and has possibly already started as that image is a major turn off for large sponsors who want to appeal to the wider public.
Clubs that do too much of it will be found out by those who don't.
Just out of interest, would is the same thing about Matt Gallagher at Sarries?

I doubt sponsors care how the team is built provided the cost is justified by the requisite market exposure.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

h's dad wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:47 pm
DeadlyDunc wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:10 pm

Well DD, you were indicating that Tigers were being derelict in not recruiting from a particular generic pool of players. Ellis was just asking for particular examples to show that such players were available to back up your allegation. On current evidence you might as well have insisted that the club were derelict in not recruiting Batman and Superman and when asked how that could happen as they are not real, respond with, 'That's not my problem.' Could you meet Ellis half way and name just one top, but not international, who is out of contract and a viable target for Tigers to recruit?
There are 33 pages of suggestions on this thread and how ever many more on the non-tigers rumours.

How many do you want?
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

kend wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:30 pm
BFG wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:44 pm
jgriffin wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:29 am Agree BFG, streetfighters like Genge and Ford leveks of skill are there at 15, but the 'connected' get chosen.
Yes and it's growing, worse than it ever was when I was young I think.
A count around the league for those of us who know the older days reveals a growing trend in the former players son.
The impact on sponsorship will be damaging and has possibly already started as that image is a major turn off for large sponsors who want to appeal to the wider public.
Clubs that do too much of it will be found out by those who don't.
Just out of interest, would is the same thing about Matt Gallagher at Sarries?

I doubt sponsors care how the team is built provided the cost is justified by the requisite market exposure.
Yes but Gallagher is proper good!
Sarries clearly get it right more than others whichever way they do it.
Time will tell with sponsorship, the recent 6N deal was much less than before, I don't personally think the sport is appealing enough to the wider public to achieve the desired growth, just my opinion.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:22 pm
DeadlyDunc wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:28 pm

Aye, Ellis, there lies the rub.

Good job we’ve got a top quality recruitment team in place so we get the best available.

Oh hold on...
I'm asking you, which players that are not top internationals but also not other clubs reserves, are available for us to sign?

Instead of avoiding the question and yet again, having a dig at the club, can you answer what I asked you?

I’m a fan who follows tigers and I’m not up on the contractual situation of every player around the globe.

That is the job of the club and it’s staff, my point is that they demonstrably haven’t recruited well in many years and a Leinster reserve centre is not going to change our situation nor gives me any confidence the recruitment strategy employed for 10 years or so is changing
H's dad has summed up perfectly my point. You say you are not paid to find out what players are available, it's people at the clubs job to do this. Therefore, maybe they are signing the best players that are available to us. As you say, you don't have a clue which players are available, so how can you criticise the club for not signing the kind of player you have mentioned, without knowing if they are available?!

The 33 pages of names that have been mentioned, may not be available for Tigers to sign. However, the people at the club who are paid to find out will know. You, of course can give your opinion, which is fine but I don't see how you can be so damning of the club about who they sign, when you have absolutely no idea who is actually available to sign. Neither do 99% of the people who post on here who have offered names on this thread.
Last edited by ellis9 on Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Some chap called Hansen is retiring from the ABs after their WC. He might be worth a punt, seems he has the experience and a history of winning.
Valhalla I am coming!
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

ellis9 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:31 pm

H's dad has summed up perfectly my point. You say you are not paid to find out what players are available, it's people at the the clubs job to do this. Therefore, maybe they are signing the best players that are available to us. As you say, you don't have a clue which players are available, so how can you criticise the club for not signing the kind of player you have mentioned, without knowing if they are available?!

The 33 pages of names that have been mentioned, may not be available for Tigers to sign. However, the people at the club who are paid to find out will know. You, of course can give your opinion, which is fine but I don't see how you can be so damning of the club about who they sign, when you have absolutely no idea who is actually available to sign. Neither do 99% of the people who post on here who have offered names on this thread.
Fine, we’ve got the best squad we can get and the recruitment over 5+ years has worked because I can’t be bothered to go back over the global list of players in that period to name better players available that we could have signed.

You can argue we’ve signed the best we can whilst we go from champions to play off finalists to play off semi finalists to top 6 to god knows where next and all the while whilst other teams improve and retain their best players.

Forgive me if I think we might have done better and should strive to do better.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Flogging a dead horse DD,as I said earlier the club can't do no wrong in some peoples eyes,even with the evidence of a decline that doesn't seem to be slowing down anytime soon!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:39 pm
ellis9 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:31 pm

H's dad has summed up perfectly my point. You say you are not paid to find out what players are available, it's people at the the clubs job to do this. Therefore, maybe they are signing the best players that are available to us. As you say, you don't have a clue which players are available, so how can you criticise the club for not signing the kind of player you have mentioned, without knowing if they are available?!

Fine, we’ve got the best squad we can get and the recruitment over 5+ years has worked because I can’t be bothered to go back over the global list of players in that period to name better players available that we could have signed.

You can argue we’ve signed the best we can whilst we go from champions to play off finalists to play off semi finalists to top 6 to god knows where next and all the while whilst other teams improve and retain their best players.

Forgive me if I think we might have done better and should strive to do better.
Even if you could be bothered to find what players were available, it still wouldn't mean that they would have been available for Tigers due to cost and if the club suited the player, to name a couple of reasons.

Yet again, someone who has an opinion different to mine, has gone all childish with their response.

Oh and by the way, I asked you what players that are not top internationals but also not other clubs reserves that are available for us to sign, not players of this ilk from the past. As of yet, you've failed to do this.
Last edited by ellis9 on Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

ellis9, why are your responses so aggressive?
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

They aren’t aggressive to me to be honest BD.

If Ellis really thinks that the recruitment strategy is working and we have the best squad that we can get and by association we are doing as well as we could have possibly done then that’s fine.

I beg to differ.

That’s life.

Who really cares.

Ellis is right that neither of us actually knows or can prove ourselves to be right.

IMO if things don’t change we’ll continue to get a large player churn year on year, find a Telusa or a Genge every now and again that is a class act but a dozen that are :censored: and continue to slide down the league.

C’est la vie!