Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Summary of Geordan in today's Merc:

1. Ben Youngs. Started training Wed morning but pulled up with tight heel. Hopefully ok going forward.

2. Sam Harrison. Back training after concussion protocol "should be available for the weekend if he ticks all the boxes".

3. Nomention of Simmons.

4. Ben White available. GM thought he played well against Worcester.

Also mentioned Manu tight hamstring issue which they don't think is a tear. "It might be an opportunity to give him a down week and hopefully he will be fit for the next week."

Lots of hopefullys. Let's hope they come to fruition. We can do without a mounting injury list on top of our present woes.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Sam Harrison got a knock and had an HIA towards the end of our game against Newcastle he has obviously required a couple of weeks out but I am certain he is either fit or close to it, no need for any panic signings.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

johnthegriff wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:42 am Sam Harrison got a knock and had an HIA towards the end of our game against Newcastle he has obviously required a couple of weeks out but I am certain he is either fit or close to it, no need for any panic signings.
With Ben Youngs an england player we need really 4 fit 9's at a time.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

johnthegriff wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:42 am Sam Harrison got a knock and had an HIA towards the end of our game against Newcastle he has obviously required a couple of weeks out but I am certain he is either fit or close to it, no need for any panic signings.
Signing some cover for a couple of months isn't a panic. Logical in this case and I'm generally against signings of journeymen when a youngster could fill the void.

If Harrison has had to miss two games with HIA I would prefer us to be in a position where he doesn't feel the need to try and rush back and where our medical team can take their time with him. It sounds Benny is struggling with a niggle and Simmonds is injured so it makes sense to have a little extra cover. Especially with Benny going to be on international duty in November. I hope White is backed to start and the cover signing only used to add impetus and stop White playing too much too soon.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

ellis9 wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:28 am I don't think he's out of contract. He only signed a new one in January. Unless it was only a one year extension.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.leices ... 089292.amp
RagingBull wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:31 am Ben Youngs signed a new contract in January, so won't be up this season.
How did I miss this/forget about this. :smt017
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

strawclearer wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:29 am Twitter rumours of an incoming Argentinian scrum-half. Felipe Ezcurra mentioned by a few.
Haven't they not long let a lad go, Yarnell I think his name was if I recall correctly!
I do recall he played a blinder off the bench in a Mickey Mouse cup match last season, he looked very lively!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Just to dot i's and cross t's, Martin Gillingham tweets...

"Steve Mafi extends with Castres Rugby despite having been touted around Premiership clubs. He had been close to re-joining Leicester Tigers but his pay demands were prohibitive. Castres may not have the biggest budget in France but they pay better than most."
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Next year for after the World Cup we should go after some Kiwi props, Atunaisa Moli, Michael Alaatatoa, Neop Laulala are some good fresh prospects.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

BFG wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:54 pm
strawclearer wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:29 am Twitter rumours of an incoming Argentinian scrum-half. Felipe Ezcurra mentioned by a few.
Haven't they not long let a lad go, Yarnell I think his name was if I recall correctly!
I do recall he played a blinder off the bench in a Mickey Mouse cup match last season, he looked very lively!
We did let him go, but with White and Simmons in the development squad there was obviously no room left. Ezcurra seems a decent shout for a medical joker. A bit more experience (25, a little Super Rugby and a couple of Argentina caps) is what we need, particularly if YBY and Harrison both have injury concerns.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:53 am
We did let him go, but with White and Simmons in the development squad there was obviously no room left. Ezcurra seems a decent shout for a medical joker. A bit more experience (25, a little Super Rugby and a couple of Argentina caps) is what we need, particularly if YBY and Harrison both have injury concerns.
Seems a bit lacking in planning to me, BY was always likely to be away.
IMO Five 9's are required if one is an international and the young lad Yarnell that they let go looked to possess game changer potential to me.
As a medical joker let's hope Ezcurra is that good that the language barrier etc doesn't matter but if not then IMO this is exactly the type of confused recruitment added to the regular in and out issues that causes Leicester to be at the bottom of the defensive pile presently.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

BFG wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:23 am Seems a bit lacking in planning to me, BY was always likely to be away.
IMO Five 9's are required if one is an international and the young lad Yarnell that they let go looked to possess game changer potential to me.
There is this thing called a salary cap. It was probably bigging up the isse but Ben Kay was on a pod saying how incredibly complex it was to stay within the cap. Also logic dictates that a 5th choice 9 is either carp or just out of nappies. Anybody half decent wouldn't do it. There is a very high likelihood they wouldn't get 10 minutes in an Shield game mind about a sniff at the first team.

Anyway Harrison is back...
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

BFG wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:23 am
Hot_Charlie wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:53 am
Seems a bit lacking in planning to me, BY was always likely to be away.
As a medical joker let's hope Ezcurra is that good that the language barrier etc doesn't matter but if not then IMO this is exactly the type of confused recruitment added to the regular in and out issues that causes Leicester to be at the bottom of the defensive pile presently.
Five scrum halves?!

Confused recruitment? We're the only club to sign short term injury cover then are we?

Anything to have a dig at the club though I guess! :smt015
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

ourla wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:45 am
BFG wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:23 am Seems a bit lacking in planning to me, BY was always likely to be away.
There is this thing called a salary cap. It was probably bigging up the isse but Ben Kay was on a pod saying how incredibly complex it was to stay within the cap. Also logic dictates that a 5th choice 9 is either carp or just out of nappies. Anybody half decent wouldn't do it. There is a very high likelihood they wouldn't get 10 minutes in an Shield game mind about a sniff at the first team.

Anyway Harrison is back...
It's only complicated because they aren't very good at it in my opinion.
The bottom line is that it takes these kids a year to earn what the big earners can make in a week.
Most of these big earners aren't returning it IMO and I'd much rather see English youngsters snapping at the heels of the big earners, already trained in systems such as defence and chomping at the bit for an opportunity.
At the end of the day if they can afford to retain Fred T who is clearly not good enough then there is no excuse, if it's too complex then it's only the way they made it!
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I suppose at some stage the coaches must be deciding who to keep and who is going and who to let go. At present, all I know for certain is MT is going and suspect that TPN may be on his way as well. So I got round to thinking who I would let go depending on their contract ending at the end of the year.

1. Fred Tuilagi - cannot see him making the grade with any club in any position in the premiership
2, Joe Ford - must give the up and coming lads more game time (Worth and Hardwick)
3. Matt Smith or Matt Tait - can see a role for one of them next year but not both - MS will be 33 and MT 33 during the season.I would try and move one to an academy training role and keep the other in the squad for the 2nd team cup.
4. Manu Tuilagi - he is becoming a real problem in defence and doesn't seem to be learning or controlling himself for the benefit of the team. Seems to be returning to a bit of form and health in attack but I reserve the right to change my mind in Feb.
5. Need to look at the hookers we currently have - other than TPN and TY they look a lot of possibles and very few certainties.

That would leave us needing to replace a FH, Center, and Hooker at the very least and promote some of the development squad into the seniors - Olowofela, White, Simmons and Reffell.

Just my thoughts at this time of the season.
Hehehehehehehehe
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

5 9's would be pointless and you would only end up losing a 9 end of season due to lack of game time anyway.
Hey why stop at 5 why not 7 or 8.

Granted there is a argument that maybe Yarnell is better than the 2 development 9's maybe not, maybe Jonny Law who started in the prem U18 final last season is viewed as a better prospect and that Yarnell being up might block him, plus Law can cover 10. Who knows.