LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Post by DeadlyDunc »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:52 am Depends.
We need to be signing two really good centres IMO even if Manu stays.

12. ______, Eastmond,
13. Manu, ________,

Jones was playing 12 in the currie cup before Scotland though.
Suggests you think that Manu is staying then RB?
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

fentiger wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:10 pm Maybe a strong bargaining chip in Manu's negotiations... ie: 'we've got Jones so here's our best offer take it or leave...'?
I'd agree with posters who say we'd need both but - still a good point in that it tips the negotiating scales back towards the Club.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:52 am Depends.
We need to be signing two really good centres IMO even if Manu stays.

12. ______, Eastmond,
13. Manu, ________,

Jones was playing 12 in the currie cup before Scotland though.
Not sure it'll be that easy to keep four quality centres happy. Unless the fourth is more of a utility player like we had with Beetham or Munster have with Jaco Taute (can play centre and fullback). Having three plus a utility option would probably be better for our overall squad balance as well.

Taute would be out of contract next summer as well.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Oh I do hope we're not just getting our hopes up over Jones, that'd be an incredible signing! Investing in the midfield surely means Manu is on his way out though, as we'd need to find the wages for a credible backup 10. I refuse to believe that even our board would persevere with Joe Ford for a third year running.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:48 pm Oh I do hope we're not just getting our hopes up over Jones, that'd be an incredible signing! Investing in the midfield surely means Manu is on his way out though, as we'd need to find the wages for a credible backup 10. I refuse to believe that even our board would persevere with Joe Ford for a third year running.
I don't think an arrival of Jones would necessarily signal Manu's departure. Toomua's departure will potentially free up significant funds around the squad, and I expect there are one or two contracts up for renewal anyway (Joe Ford perhaps, fragile Owen?) which could feasibly facilitate bringing in a "better" back up 10 to support Hardwick and another non-marquee, hopefully international class, centre.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Just saw Jeanette Krankie at Waterloo station - she confirmed the talks with Jones are “advanced”.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Imagine if we do sign him as he’s from a Scottish club we won’t have to wait until the new year for an announcement.

Plus I’m pretty sure it was confirmed we had all but signed Leatigaga for next season too, things are looking so far promising.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Scottish Daily Mail reporting:

"Although he has yet to put pen to paper, Jones is poised to sign a two-year deal with the Welford Road club.

Jones, who joined the Scotstoun club less than two years ago, turned down a deal in the region of £375,000 a year to stay in favour of a move to England.

That would have made him the highest-paid player at the Warriors next season but Sportsmail understands the Tigers have offered him even more. How much is not known."
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:27 am Imagine if we do sign him as he’s from a Scottish club we won’t have to wait until the new year for an announcement.

Plus I’m pretty sure it was confirmed we had all but signed Leatigaga for next season too, things are looking so far promising.
My understanding is Leatigaga wanted to come this season, an early release couldn't be arranged but he's signed for next season. Hence why Ma'afu came in short term.

Leatigaga and Feao would potentially be a good combination for the club. Both can play either side and have the potential to be strong carriers. Provides good depth to help rotate Genge and Cole as well as bring Heyes through.

1.Genge, Bateman, Feao, Grahamslaw
2.???, Youngs, Kerr, Mahoney
3.Cole, Cortes, Leatigaga, Heyes

The big question mark is then over recruitment at hooker with TPNs future seeming uncertain as well as LCD and Taylor linked to us.

I'd happily have Grahamslaw and Mahoney as 4th choices from next season, they are young and raw but talented and need game time to sink or swim. Obviously replicating the scrummaging power and depth of Cole, Castro and White would be nice but it's also unrealistic.

I'd rather a much stronger second row with those front row options, if needs must then use the injury cap for replacements.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

ABClub wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:49 am
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:27 am Imagine if we do sign him as he’s from a Scottish club we won’t have to wait until the new year for an announcement.

My understanding is Leatigaga wanted to come this season, an early release couldn't be arranged but he's signed for next season. Hence why Ma'afu came in short term.

Leatigaga and Feao would potentially be a good combination for the club. Both can play either side and have the potential to be strong carriers. Provides good depth to help rotate Genge and Cole as well as bring Heyes through.

1.Genge, Bateman, Feao, Grahamslaw
2.???, Youngs, Kerr, Mahoney
3.Cole, Cortes, Leatigaga, Heyes

The big question mark is then over recruitment at hooker with TPNs future seeming uncertain as well as LCD and Taylor linked to us.

I'd happily have Grahamslaw and Mahoney as 4th choices from next season, they are young and raw but talented and need game time to sink or swim. Obviously replicating the scrummaging power and depth of Cole, Castro and White would be nice but it's also unrealistic.

I'd rather a much stronger second row with those front row options, if needs must then use the injury cap for replacements.
Replacing TPN with LCD or Taylor would be a good business. They would be available for more of the season and are better players.

Kerr and Mahoney could both step up if and when required in the premiership.

Cole, Genge, Bateman, Feao and Leatigaga with Heyes coming through is more than enough props for the first time. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Gigena and Cortes leave at the end of the season as they are surplus to requirement.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

strawclearer wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:37 am Scottish Daily Mail reporting:

"Although he has yet to put pen to paper, Jones is poised to sign a two-year deal with the Welford Road club.

Jones, who joined the Scotstoun club less than two years ago, turned down a deal in the region of £375,000 a year to stay in favour of a move to England.

That would have made him the highest-paid player at the Warriors next season but Sportsmail understands the Tigers have offered him even more. How much is not known."

Is it just me or is that a lot of money for a 13 who will be away with Scotland half the season..?

Not exactly remained injury free for a long time either has he? Or am I just being a pessimist?

We desperately need a quality back up 10 as the whole Toomua not being available during these AI's has really hampered us!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

The figures I have heard do not match the ones given in the Scottish mail.

The figures quoted could well be to make the SRU look not quite as cheap.

Or I could well be wrong.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

The suggested new signing looks ok, we have Hardwick as cover for 10/12 he will continue to develop and will be better next season than this, obviously George Ford will be our out half. Kyle Eastman is a good 12 and could play 13, Manu (I hope he stays) is also a 13, Olowfela and Worth could be very useful back up utility backs. If Wasps let Daley go break the bank to get him.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

johnthegriff wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:34 pm The suggested new signing looks ok, we have Hardwick as cover for 10/12 he will continue to develop and will be better next season than this, obviously George Ford will be our out half. Kyle Eastman is a good 12 and could play 13, Manu (I hope he stays) is also a 13, Olowfela and Worth could be very useful back up utility backs. If Wasps let Daley go break the bank to get him.
If Wasps do have a fire sale to balance the books; I'd far sooner see us break the bank for Launchbury than Daly.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

https://twitter.com/JLyall93/status/1064868458200993793

This is still the case today. Some suggestions about the money on the table from Tigers and the money Jones turned down at Glasgow (£230k, to my knowledge) last month are way over the top. Glasgow offer was a good one but there's more to be had down south.