Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

drc_007
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Post by drc_007 »

Fishtie wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:48 pm
MikeR wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:49 pm For goodness sake , Thompstone is nowhere near Banahan's class .
Living in Gloucester and having watched them regularly, I agree with you, but in reality he has not been great this year at times, apart from when Gloucesters backline fires and they use him as a different option. This is my point about Thompstone, if you look for creativity or pace from him, that won’t happen, but with that around him, he offers something else.
Not sure Thompstone fancies the physical side of things any more, seems timid at times.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

drc_007 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:14 pm
Fishtie wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:48 pm
MikeR wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:49 pm For goodness sake , Thompstone is nowhere near Banahan's class .
Living in Gloucester and having watched them regularly, I agree with you, but in reality he has not been great this year at times, apart from when Gloucesters backline fires and they use him as a different option. This is my point about Thompstone, if you look for creativity or pace from him, that won’t happen, but with that around him, he offers something else.
Not sure Thompstone fancies the physical side of things any more, seems timid at times.
Increasingly looks to avoid contact and stops dead when he sees an opponent in front of him. Think he now lacks the pace to beat players. I believe that his best days are sadly behind him, nevertheless cannot deny the fact that he has been a good servant to Tigers.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Adam Thompstone is 31.

Too old?

Same age as Chris Ashton. Sadly, I agree that this great servant's best days for Tigers are behind him.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Sooo rugby rumours in the rugby paper.
Lewis Boyce likely to go to Bath
We are favourites to sign Brumbies lock captain Sam Carter
Luke Cowan-Dickie has said no to a new contract with Chiefs and Us and Quins have both "Earmarked him" for talks as soon as possible.
(Also Daly to Sarries being rumoured!!!)

I hope that Carter would be a along with another lock, I would take him over say Kitchener and Fitzgerald but kind of hoping we could get in a bigger lock as well.

Cowan-Dickie would be a big signing if we can get him, cap space will be tight for Exeter who will want to keep most of their squad whereas we can free up a fair amount. Would certainly let Polota-Nau go to get him in.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Carter would be a pretty poor signing. Very much in the mould of Fitzgerald, average Southern Hemisphere signing when there are much better EQP locks going in the premiership.

Surely Saracens can’t keep hold of Itoje, Kruis, Isiekwe and Kpoku, all of which are quality players. We should go in for one of them.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Hooker is a must, with Tom Youngs not getting any younger (hehe) and P-Nau probably off. Toomua money probably gets you Cowan-Dickie + a “poor” Aussie lock....lets be honest here, Carter isn’t poor, neither is Fitzgerald.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:40 am Carter would be a pretty poor signing. Very much in the mould of Fitzgerald, average Southern Hemisphere signing when there are much better EQP locks going in the premiership.

Surely Saracens can’t keep hold of Itoje, Kruis, Isiekwe and Kpoku, all of which are quality players. We should go in for one of them.
They are out of contract when?

We can't just "try and get one of them".
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

There must be 15 or so players on the way out.
Hard to see who we can build a ''hard core'' around.
Especially as our Coaching Set up and Board/ management is light years behind Sarries Exeter, Leinster el al....
Methinks in five years we might be a lot worse off than we are now..
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

strawclearer wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:28 pm Adam Thompstone is 31.

Too old?

Same age as Chris Ashton. Sadly, I agree that this great servant's best days for Tigers are behind him.
Bath have had real success plundering LI. Should be our turn, we missed Cockasinga and Williams last summer but let's make sure we get Ben Loader. Big, quick and powerful can play wing and fullback. Good replacement for Thompstone and won't cost the earth.
westwinds31 wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:56 am Hooker is a must, with Tom Youngs not getting any younger (hehe) and P-Nau probably off. Toomua money probably gets you Cowan-Dickie + a “poor” Aussie lock....lets be honest here, Carter isn’t poor, neither is Fitzgerald.
TPN signed s two and a half year deal didn't he? We may have him for another season. Kerr has looked good both at the lineout and ball in hand. Let's develop him, at 22 he's the right age to start forcing his way in and Murphy isn't scared to back the young guys. If he struggles we can bring on experience.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Toomua is a marquee player so it wouldn't get you either Cowan-Dickie or Carter. (well unless Carter is the

I reckon that Polota-Nau money + McMillon cap could get you either Taylor or Cowan-Dickie IMO.
Yes Polota-Nau has another year but reckon that the Western force billionaire owner would want him for his league, especially if he will be away for the RWC.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

That being said if you keep Polota-Nau on a season and bring up Kerr for another season, he might well be good enough to take the number 1 shirt and suddenly we save money to bring in a different position for 2020.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Still think we should go after Petti. I think we should keep Polota-Nau, we knew very well we would miss him for chunks of the season, he’s a top class hooker and always gives thanks to the crowd after the game NO MATTER the result.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Kremer, Petti and Matera out of contract after the world cup.
Would take any of them although Kremer would be my main choice.
1. Genge
2. Polota-Nau
3. Cole
4. Spencer
5. Kremer
6. Matera
7. O'Connor
8. Denton
Would be a good starting pack IMO.
Boffelli is also out of contract.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I would send Jordan over to Ireland, bring back any old Tom, Dick or Harry and we will have a winning side, players there are prepared to die to win their games :smt026 (nearest I can find to Irish Dancing). Even some Japanese would do us!
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Huw Jones in 'advanced talks' with Premiership heavyweight

Would be a fantastic signing. Can't help think he would be replacing Manu rather than Toomua though, as Manu is not a 12, and we shouldn't be signing Huw just to pigeon hole him.

15. Jonah Holmes
14. Telusa Veaniu
13. Huw Jones
12. Kyle Eastmond
11. Jonny May
10. George Ford
9. Ben Youngs

Looks pretty good to be fair. Now just the quality for the front 5!!
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100