LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Post by TTRITH »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:49 pm Perhaps people should think about giving Murphy time to see if he could develop like Baxter, McCall, Hepher, Sanderson since this is his first season with some responsibility he hasn't even had a full pre-season.
Murphy should be given a minimum of 3 years, on the assumption the coaching set up is heavily improved; (Is Stanko still P/T? Bakewell has had minimal impact and we know the issues with defense, but a dedication attack coach may prove helpful) and the board should ensure that another Cortes situation rears its head (I.e, O'Connor playing Cole for 80mins because he wasn't good enough).
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

TTRITH wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:55 pm
RagingBull wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:49 pm Perhaps people should think about giving Murphy time to see if he could develop like Baxter, McCall, Hepher, Sanderson since this is his first season with some responsibility he hasn't even had a full pre-season.
Murphy should be given a minimum of 3 years, on the assumption the coaching set up is heavily improved; (Is Stanko still P/T? Bakewell has had minimal impact and we know the issues with defense, but a dedication attack coach may prove helpful) and the board should ensure that another Cortes situation rears its head (I.e, O'Connor playing Cole for 80mins because he wasn't good enough).
Would you want him given time if he leads us to relegation?

Personally if he keeps us in the premiership comfortably then I'd be happy to give him time. In a couple of months if we are still in real trouble then I don't think we have the luxury of giving time.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Spicer wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:12 pm
TTRITH wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:55 pm
Would you want him given time if he leads us to relegation?

Personally if he keeps us in the premiership comfortably then I'd be happy to give him time. In a couple of months if we are still in real trouble then I don't think we have the luxury of giving time.
They won't give him the job permanently in December and then sack him in March. We won't get relegated but if we did, I believe Murphy would keep his job and would be the man to lead us back to the Premiership but as I say, we won't go down.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Murphy must be given and agree a target for this season by which his performance shall be gauged. Clearly it must minimally require that we do not get relegated. Lest we forget Cockers another club legend was sacked for much less.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

sapajo wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:37 pm Murphy must be given and agree a target for this season by which his performance shall be gauged. Clearly it must minimally require that we do not get relegated. Lest we forget Cockers another club legend was sacked for much less.
We can't sack another coach as we need some continuity. I seriously believe Murphy will not get sacked if we get relegated. I also seriously believe we won't get relegated anyway.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Spicer wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:12 pm Would you want him given time if he leads us to relegation?

Yes. I wasn't convinced that he should be given the role (4 in 15, 0 confidence from playing staff, poor coaching staff) but now he has, the board need to back him.

We are in the current mess due to the board completely burying their heads in the sand as to how modern coaches work; and thinking that hiring players the coaches don't want will work. In Football, I'm a West Ham fan, so I'm not going to utter the phrase too good to go down, but with a decent defense coach appointed and a senior head to help guide Smurf, and perhaps coach the attack, I can't see us going down. No more changes then life does get difficult, but again, that wouldnt be failings by Geordan.

Bakewell should be removed in the summer. Bring in someone like Wiggie or Booth, adding again to the pool of experience avaliable to Geordan. So effectively you have a DoR/consultant to sort attack, Smurf doing the backs as well as heading up the coaching team, a forwards coach, and a defense coach + Stanko.

Allow him and the set to choose who they want on the playing staff and see what happens. The board need Smurf to work.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

TTRITH wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:55 pm The board need Smurf to work.
The Club needs this to work, not ‘just’ the Board.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I’m pretty sure Dave Ellis has been interviewed already.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Ellis - Geordan said so on RL after Sunday’s game.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Argentine 9 Felipe Ezcurra has returned to Argentina
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

It seems like this one isn't coming - "whilst the current turmoil at Leicester is believed to be what put Cowan-Dickie off a move to the East Midlands,"
Hehehehehehehehe
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

trendylfj wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:40 am It seems like this one isn't coming - "whilst the current turmoil at Leicester is believed to be what put Cowan-Dickie off a move to the East Midlands,"
If TPN stays, we don’t need another hooker. Would love the Du Preez rumours to be true though, would fill the squad out nicely.
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

trendylfj wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:40 am It seems like this one isn't coming - "whilst the current turmoil at Leicester is believed to be what put Cowan-Dickie off a move to the East Midlands,"
Can't blame him really - would you want to come to Leicester (Tigers)
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Coops wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:04 pm
Can't blame him really - would you want to come to Leicester (Tigers)
Yup! Although I'm not sure a mid-30s Sunday league second row with a bad back and a dodgy knee is what we really need!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Well he's staying at Exeter so the chances are this was always a money grab and was never really on, Tigers could be on a 5 game winning streak and he most likely wouldn't have come.