LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Post by TTRITH »

I get the feeling he is being seen as our second choice 10 (instead of Joe Ford) and second choice 12 (behind Eastmomd).

Y'know, rather than signing someone to provide compeition we sign someone that can do a job when needed.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Was Eastmond just a 12 month deal or is he here next year too?
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:19 am It would be a pretty Leicester signing really.
Would be a big upgrade on Joe Ford but other than that pretty mmmm.

Updated the rumours.
Taken Boyce and Taylor off the in list.
Hardly going to get the knees knocking in fear at Sarries and Exeter et al.
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Reid may/may not be the perfect mix to help ignite our back line, only playing him will tell. Supporters are too fixated on signing a big international, whereas even clubs like Sarries and Chiefs know that a mix of internationals and the right development player can produce exactly the type of game they want to play. As mentioned before, it's synergy that produces winning rugby not just top players, as Toulon's star studded squad are discovering at the moment.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

I think given that we are more than likely not going to make the top 4 for a second year in a row, surely we need to have a successful recruitment drive for next season.

With Toomua and probably TPN leaving, who was immense at the weekend, we need some quality as well as depth.

Hopefully the Kriel rumours are somewhat true. Also could do with beefing up the pack with the muscle in the second row and at no8.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

DingDong wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:43 am Reid may/may not be the perfect mix to help ignite our back line, only playing him will tell. Supporters are too fixated on signing a big international, whereas even clubs like Sarries and Chiefs know that a mix of internationals and the right development player can produce exactly the type of game they want to play. As mentioned before, it's synergy that produces winning rugby not just top players, as Toulon's star studded squad are discovering at the moment.
If Reid was around 24, then yes I'd share your optimism. However, should he be signed he will be 29 when he arrives at Tigers. He is unlikely to get any better.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

TTRITH wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:15 pm
DingDong wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:43 am Reid may/may not be the perfect mix to help ignite our back line, only playing him will tell. Supporters are too fixated on signing a big international, whereas even clubs like Sarries and Chiefs know that a mix of internationals and the right development player can produce exactly the type of game they want to play. As mentioned before, it's synergy that produces winning rugby not just top players, as Toulon's star studded squad are discovering at the moment.
If Reid was around 24, then yes I'd share your optimism. However, should he be signed he will be 29 when he arrives at Tigers. He is unlikely to get any better.
And my view is that recruiting another Leinster reserve won't improve our squad sufficiently to change our fortunes.

I'm not looking for big internationals but if we continue to raid the likes of mid-lower end Prem teams like Worcester, Newcastle, Bristol or the top teams reserves then guess what, we'll end up being as good as they are which isn't going to be towards the top of the table.

I know we have occasisonally unearthed a diamond like Genge, Parling etc but by and large they are exceptions to the rule, hence our current position and predicament.

As the old saying goes you can't polish a.....
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:28 pm
And my view is that recruiting another Leinster reserve won't improve our squad sufficiently to change our fortunes.

I'm not looking for big internationals but if we continue to raid the likes of mid-lower end Prem teams like Worcester, Newcastle, Bristol or the top teams reserves then guess what, we'll end up being as good as they are which isn't going to be towards the top of the table.

I know we have occasisonally unearthed a diamond like Genge, Parling etc but by and large they are exceptions to the rule, hence our current position and predicament.

The other point I'd raise is this would be a pretty damming indictment of the lack of backs coming up from the academy over the last few years.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Ok then, so which players who are not big internationals but also not other teams reserves are out of contract at the end of the season for us to try and sign?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

He has 100 caps for the European Champions.
It all depends on who it is for.
J.Ford
Tait
Smith
All would be upgraded.

Saracens signed Christian Judge from the championship and look how he has turned out.

End of the day it's how he fits into the system.
The point about academy players is mute.
We are likely going to have a highish amount of backs leaving (Hopefully), Reid would be a good player who is used to covering for international periods.
Academy can only plug a certain amount, and not all fit into the style that might be wanted.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Do people think we will sign a replacement for Toomua? Or use Eastmond next year as our starting 12?
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

TTRITH wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:03 am I get the feeling he is being seen as our second choice 10 (instead of Joe Ford) and second choice 12 (behind Eastmomd).

Y'know, rather than signing someone to provide compeition we sign someone that can do a job when needed.
...and, rather succinctly, that is how all recruitment should be assessed - 'genuine competitor for the starting shirt' or 'worthy stand-in'.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I've got no problem if he is replacing JF. If he is taking JF place while he's promoted to Toomuas reserve FH spot or if Reid himself is Toomuas replacement then we are in massive,massive trouble! Let's see.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

ellis9 wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:27 pm

Ok then, so which players who are not big internationals but also not other teams reserves are out of contract at the end of the season for us to try and sign?
Aye, Ellis, there lies the rub.

Good job we’ve got a top quality recruitment team in place so we get the best available.

Oh hold on...
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Also doesn’t help that you could argue that players, especially forwards, seem to stagnate or regress with Tigers.

Kitchener, made the EPS for 2 years and was arguably one of the form locks in the premiership. Now he’s not even in the top 20 locks in the premiership.

Williams, signed as a great prospect and made the EPS. After a few years with us he’s a shadow of his former self.

I’m sure they’re are plenty of other players who also fit into this category. So once we signed good players and made them great, recently we almost seem to be doing the exact opposite.