LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Post by sam16111986 »

MikeR wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:30 am He has got pace and an attacking instinct - only 20 and will get better - already better than last Sundays starting fly half .
He's not 20 until March. I think I'm right in saying he could have two more years at England under 20s.

He's got enough pace without being rapid. He's certainly as quick as Toomua and he has no issue accelerating through a gap. Physically he's a similar size to Farrell and just as happy to tackle (though without the chip on his shoulder).

No surprise he's garnering interest.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

sam16111986 wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:22 am
MikeR wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:30 am He has got pace and an attacking instinct - only 20 and will get better - already better than last Sundays starting fly half .
He's not 20 until March. I think I'm right in saying he could have two more years at England under 20s.

He's got enough pace without being rapid. He's certainly as quick as Toomua and he has no issue accelerating through a gap. Physically he's a similar size to Farrell and just as happy to tackle (though without the chip on his shoulder).

Two more years at under 20 if he is 20 in March, as quick as Toomua, physically similar size to Farrell, without a chip on his shoulder ££££££... :smt017
I don't think that you are doing his cause any favours! :smt005
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

u20’s are only for those who do not turn 20 until after Jan 1st.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

BFG wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:01 am
sam16111986 wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:22 am

Two more years at under 20 if he is 20 in March, as quick as Toomua, physically similar size to Farrell, without a chip on his shoulder ££££££... :smt017
I don't think that you are doing his cause any favours! :smt005
I'm unsure how to respond to that.
ghdav27

Post by ghdav27 »

The Bristol hooker looks quite useful, maybe we should try and sign him
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

The dismantling of the squad by O’Connor and (in his latter days) Cockerill, dispensing with players who are successful elsewhere was unforgivable, with barely a « good » signing to replace them. A turnaround will not come quickly!
Valhalla I am coming!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

fleabane wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:17 pm The dismantling of the squad by O’Connor and (in his latter days) Cockerill, dispensing with players who are successful elsewhere was unforgivable, with barely a « good » signing to replace them. A turnaround will not come quickly!
Unfortunately, the people on this board are too impatient.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

JP14 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:52 pm
fleabane wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:17 pm The dismantling of the squad by O’Connor and (in his latter days) Cockerill, dispensing with players who are successful elsewhere was unforgivable, with barely a « good » signing to replace them. A turnaround will not come quickly!
true.

BUT are the people in the right positions to start that turnaround regardless of how quickly?
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Yeah I've been patiently watching it go to :censored: for at least the last 5 years
I'm not cynical just experienced
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

chewbacca wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:35 pm
Yeah I've been patiently watching it go to :censored: for at least the last 5 years
+1 :smt023
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:12 pm
trendylfj wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:21 pm Luke Cowen-Dickie anyone - https://www.rugbypass.com/news/luke-cow ... xeter-exit.

Not for me if TPN is staying
There were rumours at the beginnig of the season that TPN was off end of the season. Guessing why we’ve been linked to LCD and Taylor.

For me there is a massive shopping list for next season if we want to truly compete at the highest level.

Starting XV hooker if TPN leaves
2 x starting XV locks with Wells and Spencer as back up
1 x starting XV no.8 with Kalamafoni as back up
1 x back up fly half
1 x starting XV 12
1 x back up centre
1 x back up fullback

All of the additions need to be quality players who can challenge for a place, not just squad fillers on the cheap. Plus you might want even more squad players in the backs with the likes of Smith and Tait possibly retiring.

Some might think this is being unrealistic fantasy rugby, but we didn’t make top 4 last season and we need more quality in the team.

Promote Kerr, Mahoney, Heyes, Lewis, Reffell, Simmons, Hardwick, Worth, Olowofela and Aspland-Robinson into the first team.

Looking something like:

1. Genge, Bateman, Feao, Gigena
2. ???, T Youngs, Kerr, Mahoney
3. Cole, Leatigaga, Cortes, Heyes
4. ???, Wells
5. ???, Spencer
6. Denton, Williams, Lewis
7. O’Connor, Thompson, Evans, Reffell
8. ???, Kalamafoni
9. B Youngs, Harrison, Simmons
10. G Ford, ???, Hardwick
11. May, Olowofela
12. ???, Eastmond, ???
13. M Tuilagi, ???, Owen
14. Veainu, Thompstone, Aspland-Robinson
15. Holmes, ???, Worth

Gives a squad of around 46 players including promoted from the academy. Therefore looking to bring in 9 new quality players. Leatigaga already rumoured to be signed for next season. Last year we brought in 9 players, plus Voss and Ma’afu as cover.
Would be even more ruthless now. Add to that list O’Connor, Eastmond and Owen to go! Really like O’Connor, but he is very rarely fit and with Evans and Reffell coming through is stunting their progress and opportunities.
ghdav27

Post by ghdav27 »

I don't think signings will make any difference. We've signed no end of players and the situation gets worse.

Generally the only tries we score are a result of individual brilliance from first phase ball, otherwise we repeatedly just run into the opposition and go nowhere. There seems to be a major issue behind the scenes.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

If Schmidt gets the AB Head Coach role then this guy might be get able.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all ... g-decision

Robertson/Ryan/Venter would be my big three to take over from Ged Glynn role, who are out of contract next season.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Anyone think we have a buy back clause in Slater or Thackers contracts? :smt002 ha one can wish.....
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:02 pm Anyone think we have a buy back clause in Slater or Thackers contracts? :smt002 ha one can wish.....
Which seven forwards are going to get around the park quick enough to retain phase ball and who's going to deliver quick enough ball to get on the front foot and who's going to break the line for Thacker to finish!
Slater?