LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Post by JP14 »

I think Cortes is quite a decent acquisition and is not expensive, neither is Gigena. If they go that’s fine but I see potential in Facundo, even if the Crumbie haven’t taken lightly to his commando roll entrance to matches.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Would be a good bit of business if Smith and Tait's cap paid for Jones.
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

ABClub wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:49 am ...Obviously replicating the scrummaging power and depth of Cole, Castro and White would be nice but it's also unrealistic.
Is Marcos the Magnificent forgotten already?
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

TomWeston wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:12 pm
ABClub wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:49 am ...Obviously replicating the scrummaging power and depth of Cole, Castro and White would be nice but it's also unrealistic.
Whenever I think of depth, I think of those three at tight head. There was a season where after Carl Hayman Tigers probably had the three best scrummaging tight heads in the league.

Fantastic memories but sadly unrealistic to replicate as fortune coincided that Cole and Castro were coming into their peak but yet earning top tight head wages and good ol' Julian was a full time farmer at this point who also happened to be a better scrummager than many internationals.

Marcos rightly features in discussions of the best loose heads of the modern era alongside Os du Randt.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

ABClub wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:44 pm
Whenever I think of depth, I think of those three at tight head. There was a season where after Carl Hayman Tigers probably had the three best scrummaging tight heads in the league.

Fantastic memories but sadly unrealistic to replicate as fortune coincided that Cole and Castro were coming into their peak but yet earning top tight head wages and good ol' Julian was a full time farmer at this point who also happened to be a better scrummager than many internationals.

Marcos rightly features in discussions of the best loose heads of the modern era alongside Os du Randt.
...and let's not forget his lifting skills. Was it Parling who attributed much of Tigers' lineout success to Marcos?

On the 10 front, I recall badgering both SC and AM about Tobias Flood when he returned from France. Having Ford G and Hardwick with Flood as our veteran stand-in and young-flyhalf-bringer-onner would be perfect imho.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

strawclearer wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:52 pm
ABClub wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:44 pm

...and let's not forget his lifting skills. Was it Parling who attributed much of Tigers' lineout success to Marcos?

On the 10 front, I recall badgering both SC and AM about Tobias Flood when he returned from France. Having Ford G and Hardwick with Flood as our veteran stand-in and young-flyhalf-bringer-onner would be perfect imho.
I hoped we would re-sign Flood when he decided to come back to England too.
Last edited by ellis9 on Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

I'm excited about the prospect of Jones joining us. Whenever I've seen him play for Scotland he has stood out and he cut England's midfield to shreds in last year's 6Ns.

On the downside, the boy has missed a lot of rugby through injuries which is obviously not ideal. Having said that, it seems the majority of professional rugby players have copped at least one serious injury at some point.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Interesting interview Jones gave in October 2017:

“I don’t really mind whether I play inside or outside centre because once you’re in open play you can manufacture your own space‚” Jones said. “The number on my jersey doesn’t matter to me.”

Maybe he is being viewed as a direct replacement for Toomua.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Watson also out of contract and a view people in scotland reckon he wants to move back to England.
Although 7 isn't really a issue for us I guess.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Jim Hamilton saying in the rugby pod we tried to bring in Parling as a lineout coach but he wanted to stay in aus for at least a season.

Might be something to keep an eye on later down the line though.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:54 pm https://twitter.com/JLyall93/status/1064868458200993793

This is still the case today. Some suggestions about the money on the table from Tigers and the money Jones turned down at Glasgow (£230k, to my knowledge) last month are way over the top. Glasgow offer was a good one but there's more to be had down south.
That's my understanding as well. Around £250k is what I heard, although they may have put some image rights on top of that (as they did for Hogg) which the Mail would have massively overestimated to come up with their figure.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Looks like it is a done deal - except pen to paper still needs to happen - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... igers.html
Hehehehehehehehe
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Does anyone know it Smith and/or Tait are retiring at the end of the season?
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

Hope so - good servants but time to move on .
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

MikeR wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:45 am Hope so - good servants but time to move on .
They’re both going to be difficult to replace. Two players who are premiership standard, won’t let anyone down but good value for money and are available all season.