LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Post by BFG »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:47 am 5 9's would be pointless and you would only end up losing a 9 end of season due to lack of game time anyway.
Hey why stop at 5 why not 7 or 8.

Granted there is a argument that maybe Yarnell is better than the 2 development 9's maybe not, maybe Jonny Law who started in the prem U18 final last season is viewed as a better prospect and that Yarnell being up might block him, plus Law can cover 10. Who knows.
A perfectly feasible explanation, so give this Jonny Law a chance!
If five 9's are too many with Yarnell then I expect that'll be the same with Law so that doesn't wash with me!
Whatever the opinion though in the end if there is a constant player merry-go-round then coaches will never be able to implement systems to the required standard and will be little more than sacrificial lambs for the butchers above them!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

BFG wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:58 am
RagingBull wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:47 am 5 9's would be pointless and you would only end up losing a 9 end of season due to lack of game time anyway.
Hey why stop at 5 why not 7 or 8.

Granted there is a argument that maybe Yarnell is better than the 2 development 9's maybe not, maybe Jonny Law who started in the prem U18 final last season is viewed as a better prospect and that Yarnell being up might block him, plus Law can cover 10. Who knows.
A perfectly feasible explanation, so give this Jonny Law a chance!
If five 9's are too many with Yarnell then I expect that'll be the same with Law so that doesn't wash with me!
Whatever the opinion though in the end if there is a constant player merry-go-round then coaches will never be able to implement systems to the required standard and will be little more than sacrificial lambs for the butchers above them!
I would say the big difference is that Law can cover 10 as well as 9, so wouldn't be exactly the same situation.
Personally I do think Yarnell was unlucky though.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

strawclearer wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:29 am Twitter rumours of an incoming Argentinian scrum-half. Felipe Ezcurra mentioned by a few.
Twitter now saying he's signed for 2 months as a medical joker.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

BFG wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:23 am
Seems a bit lacking in planning to me, BY was always likely to be away.
IMO Five 9's are required if one is an international and the young lad Yarnell that they let go looked to possess game changer potential to me.
I think it's a bit more of a case of Salary Cap reality. That's why a club is allowed injury dispensation signings. They allow you not to need to load the squad with excess players who aren't going to get game time.
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

Polota-Nau has been withdrawn from the Australian team due to a hamstring injury, I wonder if that means we’ll get him back or if it’s not to bad they’ll keep him out there.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

BFG wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:58 am A perfectly feasible explanation, so give this Jonny Law a chance!
Maybe being just 17 the coaches feel that it is too early for him. Yes, others have done it, but maybe, just maybe, the coaches (the subject matter experts afterall) consider that putting him into the first team environment, potentially for Premiership or European Rugby, at this stage would not be beneficial, or even downright physically dangerous.

This isn't Fantasy Rugby.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Stephen18 wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:29 pm Polota-Nau has been withdrawn from the Australian team due to a hamstring injury, I wonder if that means we’ll get him back or if it’s not to bad they’ll keep him out there.
Just done my hamstring, so can sympathise - except his treatment and rehab regime will probably be a lot better than mine!!!
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

BFG wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:15 am
ourla wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:45 am
BFG wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:23 am Seems a bit lacking in planning to me, BY was always likely to be away.
IMO Five 9's are required if one is an international and the young lad Yarnell that they let go looked to possess game changer potential to me.
There is this thing called a salary cap. It was probably bigging up the isse but Ben Kay was on a pod saying how incredibly complex it was to stay within the cap. Also logic dictates that a 5th choice 9 is either carp or just out of nappies. Anybody half decent wouldn't do it. There is a very high likelihood they wouldn't get 10 minutes in an Shield game mind about a sniff at the first team.

Anyway Harrison is back...
It's only complicated because they aren't very good at it in my opinion.
The bottom line is that it takes these kids a year to earn what the big earners can make in a week.
Most of these big earners aren't returning it IMO and I'd much rather see English youngsters snapping at the heels of the big earners, already trained in systems such as defence and chomping at the bit for an opportunity.
At the end of the day if they can afford to retain Fred T who is clearly not good enough yet in my opinion then there is no excuse, if it's too complex then it's only the way they made it!
:smt023
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

jgriffin wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:59 pm
Just done my hamstring, so can sympathise
Still got hamstrings at your age jg?!!!!
Semper in excretia
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:32 pm
BFG wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:58 am A perfectly feasible explanation, so give this Jonny Law a chance!
Maybe being just 17 the coaches feel that it is too early for him. Yes, others have done it, but maybe, just maybe, the coaches (the subject matter experts afterall) consider that putting him into the first team environment, potentially for Premiership or European Rugby, at this stage would not be beneficial, or even downright physically dangerous.

The kid Yarnell did more in a brief appearance last season than White and Simmons so far.
Expert opinion hasn't come to fruition just yet.
I know some want to paint a perfect picture but to be honest if they can put a 19 year old on the bench at a tight head then I wouldn't worry about a 17 year old in the backs who is rumoured to be better than those before.
George Ford ring any bells!
Seems to me that when it suits it's alright and when it doesn't there are a bucketload if excuses.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Robespierre wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:30 pm
jgriffin wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:59 pm
Just done my hamstring, so can sympathise
Still got hamstrings at your age jg?!!!!
Alas 55 years of wear and tear have made an old injury a permanent weakness.....And that's just my ego! The right hamstring has been crackered since I was 40. It's the eccentric work that does for it, for those in the know. Interval training at 67, Mrs G tells me I'm mad.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

BFG wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:45 pm

The kid Yarnell did more in a brief appearance last season than White and Simmons so far.
I know some want to paint a perfect picture but to be honest if they can put a 19 year old on the bench at a tight head then I wouldn't worry about a 17 year old in the backs who is rumoured to be better than those before.
Seems to me that when it suits it's alright and when it doesn't there are a bucketload if excuses.

I think the club are taking a sensible view. If Harrison fails the HIA for much longer then he's going to be stood down, which is three months. Benny is with England for the AIs. No mention of Simmonds so presume he's not going to be fit anytime soon. That could leave us with a 20 year old and a 17 year old behind a misfiring pack.

An experienced scrum half makes sense. It's only two months so he's not going to get in the way of our young talent.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

BFG wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:45 pm

Yes BFG, but every player, particularly the youngest ones, will be physically different and ready for elite rugby (Prem/ERC) at different times. If anything, having White and Simmons at such a close age takes pressure off the academy slightly. Young players will get their chances where appropriate, as GM has already shown. Putting a green 17 year old who’s not been in the academy that long might not be the best long term solution.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I’d like it if we signed a Fijian, probably in the forwards. Not sure which one but Tevati Cuvabati of Newcastle looked good on Friday night.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

strawclearer wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:01 pm
strawclearer wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:29 am Twitter rumours of an incoming Argentinian scrum-half. Felipe Ezcurra mentioned by a few.
Twitter now saying he's signed for 2 months as a medical joker.
Kay just confirmed it on BT sport