Tigers v Falcons

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Goshengareth

Re: Tigers v Falcons

Post by Goshengareth »

Team broadly as expected. I think they'll run through our centres all day long, and I'm increasingly unconvinced by our front row - Cole and OTY are not delivering. Great to see Spencer playing, and be good to see Thompson play later. Will be a tight game as we are at home, but wouldn't be surprised with a defeat tho will be shouting for the win as loud as I can.

PS Is it only me who is fed up to the back teeth of articles in the Merc where OTY says such things as "Departure of MOC was a wake up call....that the club expects big things."? No :censored: Sherlock.
HantsTiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by HantsTiger »

Goshengareth wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:33 pm Team broadly as expected. I think they'll run through our centres all day long, and I'm increasingly unconvinced by our front row - Cole and OTY are not delivering.
Just out of interest, how are you unconvinced by Cole and OTY? In the open or at scrum time?
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I like it. A team for the near future, and while we might lose tomorrow, that will stop and reverse very soon IMO.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
KevinR

Post by KevinR »

I, too, would like to see more of Holmes. However, Tigers seem to befollowing the All Blacks model (made explicit on the excellent behind-the-scenes series showing last summer's campaign) of having an 'attacking winger' on the left and a 'defensive winger' on the right. I imagine we'll see Holmes replacing Johnny May during the internationals.
nasher

Post by nasher »

At least the "side to side,kick it away game" will have gone with MOC and some real "keep the ball and go forward rugby" will return. :smt026
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

jgriffin wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:39 pm I like it. A team for the near future, and while we might lose tomorrow, that will stop and reverse very soon IMO.

With only 2 starting changes? Eastmond for Toomua at 12, and Williams for Fitzgerald at 4.

Hardly wholesale is it?
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Goshengareth wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:33 pm Team broadly as expected. I think they'll run through our centres all day long, and I'm increasingly unconvinced by our front row - Cole and OTY are not delivering. Great to see Spencer playing, and be good to see Thompson play later. Will be a tight game as we are at home, but wouldn't be surprised with a defeat tho will be shouting for the win as loud as I can.

PS Is it only me who is fed up to the back teeth of articles in the Merc where OTY says such things as "Departure of MOC was a wake up call....that the club expects big things."? No :censored: Sherlock.
Our front row has been hamstrung since the days of Cockers who didn't seem to accept the need for the hooker to be a powerful scrummager. OTY at his best was a decent scrummager but hasn't looked convincing for a while. Bateman was deemed too big and converted to a prop, at which he is marginal. Quite how the Cole at tighthead can be expected to devastate the opposition front row when the rest of the front row aren't powerful enough is puzzling.

I would revert Bateman to hooker and then judge Cole when Genge is back!

Implying the tighthead isn't up to it in the loose is a bit harsh when the back rows have gone AWOL. Any back or flanker worth his salt would expect to skin a tight head. Probably made more likely by playing Ford and a rusty Manu - the former tackles but doesn't stop the runner and the latter seemingly isn't fit or aware of his role in the defensive line, so we get exposed if we drift too early or run out of numbers out wide if the back rows don't.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

I’m surprised more people aren’t happy with the lock combination. For me it’s our strongest pairing and would like to see Williams Spencer stick together for the rest of the season.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

When things go wrong it seems that Cole is always hung out to dry by the casual observers.
The scrum was the only thing that we had on par with Exeter last week and as well as him locking the scrum out he puts in an enormous amount of work around the pitch.

I actually thought Wayne Barnes had by his standards a poor game last week, with one of the worst decisions being when he pinged us for whipping the scrum round when Dan quite clearly had his side going forward.
Maybe Sir was jet lagged
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:16 pm I’m surprised more people aren’t happy with the lock combination. For me it’s our strongest pairing and would like to see Williams Spencer stick together for the rest of the season.
Very pleased to see Williams in the row. With the resources we now have 6 it may be his best position and he and Spencer could do some damage as second runners
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Goshengareth wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:33 pm Team broadly as expected. I think they'll run through our centres all day long, and I'm increasingly unconvinced by our front row - Cole and OTY are not delivering. Great to see Spencer playing, and be good to see Thompson play later. Will be a tight game as we are at home, but wouldn't be surprised with a defeat tho will be shouting for the win as loud as I can.

Eastmond tackling was on fire pre season and I am convinced Manus issues last week were caused at least in part by the playing of Toomua who had not trained with the squad
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

We all know it's a good 23 same as it was last week.

It's about fitness, tactics, fight. The ability is largely not in question.

As a one of game the sacking, taking over by Murphy, the fact that it's Falcons, all the ex-Tigers in the oppo, should all ensure our boys are primed. If that is channelled correctly and Murphy is given out the correct instructions then I would expect a win.

Will be fascinated to see if our newly constructed and simplified lineout that was so pants last week fairs any better second time around. If it doesn't that will really start to put a dampner on our prospects.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Mark62 wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:31 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:16 pm I’m surprised more people aren’t happy with the lock combination. For me it’s our strongest pairing and would like to see Williams Spencer stick together for the rest of the season.
Very pleased to see Williams in the row. With the resources we now have 6 it may be his best position and he and Spencer could do some damage as second runners
Exactly. Plus Williams has much to prove, was in the EPS 2 seasons ago. Dynamic player who can carry the ball into traffic, aggressive and can smash the rucks. Played very well last game of last season against Sale and for me offers more than Fitzgerald. Hoping he puts a marker down and makes the no.4 shirt his own, I think he has the ability.

For me bar Genge and TPN, that is our best set of 8 going out against Newcastle. Hoping they will deliver.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Mark62 wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:30 pm When things go wrong it seems that Cole is always hung out to dry by the casual observers.
The scrum was the only thing that we had on par with Exeter last week and as well as him locking the scrum out he puts in an enormous amount of work around the pitch.

I actually thought Wayne Barnes had by his standards a poor game last week, with one of the worst decisions being when he pinged us for whipping the scrum round when Dan quite clearly had his side going forward.
Maybe Sir was jet lagged
Well he wasn’t the only one was he? 😂😂
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I always called for Williams to be played at 4, I believe he was only played there by Cockerill a few times in 2015/16, so I’m incredibly thankful that finally Murphy has prevailed in that respect. Being the AWC coach, I’d imagine he would actually use Hardwick and Olowofela, the former who was named I think three times last season on the bench and not used by MOC and the latter only played a minute at Twickenham.

Incredibly pleased with the back 5 but I’m worried that on the bench Gigena has been preferred to Ma’afu, Newcastle’s replacements tighthead (Jack Payne) is apparently highly rated. Excited to see how Thompson goes.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni