Painful!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

manxleigh

Re: Painful!

Post by manxleigh »

I’m 100% annoyed. Haven’t read any previous posts. We need dog to win quick, clean and lean forward ball. Our back line should be amazing our 2nd and back row isn’t. Time to clear the coaching staff out and get some ‘world class’ heads in. MOC you are a waste of space who has no or little respect Sorry but please fall on your sword and go now. I love LT and will support forever but please admit defeat!
keep dreaming and you'll keep wondering
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

manxleigh wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:53 amTime to clear the coaching staff out and get some ‘world class’ heads in.
Who do you suggest? Who would you bring in?
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Watched all of the premiership matches so far on TV and I'd say Tigers look the worst of all teams I've seen. I know it is only the first match but other teams look better organised, fitter and hungrier.
glenn

Post by glenn »

Is Ben Ryan available? He would be my first choice.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

drc_007 wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:59 am Watched all of the premiership matches so far on TV and I'd say Tigers look the worst of all teams I've seen. I know it is only the first match but other teams look better organised, fitter and hungrier.
I didn't see all the matches but Tigers looked the worst team of any. Need a massive turnaround next week and against Wasps but I'm not hopeful, they just don't look up for it. I really don't see it turning around though with the current set up, otherwise (and I'm not kidding when I say this) I see Tigers as relegation contenders this season (one record MoC still has to achieve),

Weren't there also rumours of disent in camp a few weeks back? However I fear the BoD (who also need to consider their positions) will be too paralysed with fear to make any decisions quick enough to save this season.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/spor ... or-1960726

Inspirational words from an inspirational leader.

I think he's talking about the loss to Exeter although it might be him talking about when we lost at home to Saints? Or maybe the home defeat to Worcester? Perhaps it's the home loss to Bath he's responding to? Actually it could be when we lost 39-0 in Castres. Or maybe he's talking about the run of 9 losses in 11 games? I'm not sure.

Anyway, we've got to work harder/ get back on the horse/ put things right on the training field / match the opposition's intensity / be more accurate / *insert generic sporting cliché*.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

I know it’s only one game but nevertheless some of the points made here are indeed worrying:
https://www.msn.com/en-sg/news/other/th ... ar-BBML21I
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

markharbtiger wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:34 am I know it’s only one game but nevertheless some of the points made here are indeed worrying:
https://www.msn.com/en-sg/news/other/th ... ar-BBML21I
It’s a very good analysis, think it is slightly unfair on YBY but then again he’s hardly done much to muster a defence of his form over the past couple of seasons in a Tigers shirt.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

drc_007 wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:59 am Watched all of the premiership matches so far on TV and I'd say Tigers look the worst of all teams I've seen. I know it is only the first match but other teams look better organised, fitter and hungrier.
Agreed. I wonder if some of our players are still a bit tired from the summer internationals? I’m also wondering quite how sensible it was to play folk flown back from down under...?
Still, confidence will be restored if we embark on a winning run.
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

sapajo wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:27 pm Bang on enough is enough MOC is out of his depth and we are disgracefully poor in every facet of the game. The board need to sack him quickly to remove the gangrene that has infected our beloved club!
I got to Sandy Park early and there was Matt O'Connor putting out the plastic training cones & pacing about on the pitch. If this is all he is good for rather than delegating these duties instead of inspiring the team in pre match tactical talks then he must go asap.
Could Mark be the stand in Team Manager whilst they conduct another "Worldwide" search using an atlas rather than SC's mobile phone contact list..
There were some players that gave there all Denton, Coley, Brendan, etc but Manu looked slow.
I was so sorry Olowefela never got on the pitch for 15 mins in place of Thompstone as he looked shot.
Talking of shot this must be the resolution for Matt O'Connor!
Last edited by AngusMcCoatup on Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
newport tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by newport tiger »

The title of this thread is "PAINFUL?" and that's exactly what it was for us who love and give our support to our club, i do wonder however do the players share our pain? At the full time whistle Manu went to shake hands with the opposition with a huge smile on his face. I'm sure very few if any supporters expected a win yesterday but that performance was dreadful with only Denton coming through with any credit.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

You mean, ready for the first match of the season? When all teams are equal and everyone has the chance to lay down a marker? That kind of better organised? Fitter? Hungrier? the kind that looked like they'd worked and had an effective, productive pre-season? Not 40, 60, 80 minutes short for some (most) players?

Well, they'll be hungry for Tiger blood now. We're playing huge catchup from day 1, not just from a loss but from all the farce that surrounded it.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
NorthernTigers

Post by NorthernTigers »

Says it all and yet again we'll have all the usual excuses but other teams already have their play , defence and attack in order - we most certainly do not !
The toothless Tigers - the worrying aspects of Leicester's attack
A trip to Sandy Park is no easy task – the Exeter Chiefs have not conceded a loss in over 20 games at their home ground. Despite coming against the odds in their Premiership season opener, what Leicester dished up was frightening.

You expect rust, you expect a lack of fitness – you don’t expect a performance as aimless and meandering as what Leicester offered up. Exeter themselves were below their best for sixty minutes, but were never bothered at any stage by a lackluster Tigers outfit and finished with a flurry to bury the visitors 40-6.

The most worrying aspect of the game was the severe lack of intent to use the ball by the Tigers. When George Ford is continually plugging the corners from the attacking 40-metre line, you know you have strategic problems. The first five or six possessions in Exeter’s half were kicked away, many uncontested or returned for a 22 dropout – a pointless exercise in giving the ball away.

Ford’s kicking game is both his biggest strength and biggest weakness. He can drop it on a pin and expose wingers for huge territorial gains, but then doesn’t have a handle on when possession needs to be kept in hand. His ability to read the game situation and make sound kicking decisions seems non-existent. His go-to play of trying a kick is almost like a last resort because he can’t think of anything else or worse – there is no pattern for the side to fall back into.

After the first half of this game you could be forgiven for thinking when are the Tigers going to play any rugby. This was exemplified by the fact that Manu Tuilagi’s first touch of the game didn’t come until the 46th minute.

Heading into the wind in the second half, the team’s first possession went a good 60m on the back of some probing runs by Ford and May, putting Exeter on the back foot for the first time in the match. Knocking on the door of the 22, Ford tried another poor kick, an all-or-nothing grubber that was knocked on by May that would have gone into touch anyway.

This side has international talents Matt Toomua, Jonny May and Telusa Veainu wasting away on the fringes, watching on in despair as the side is continually forced to defend after either kicking the ball away or turning it over with errors.

Poor lineout set-piece and ball security issues plagued the forward pack, with only the strong ball carrying of flanker David Denton offering a shining light n the performance.

After a first half of holding only a third of possession, the Tigers were forced to play more ball-in-hand heading into the wind in the second stanza. They struggled to build any continuity, with no discernible pattern to build pressure.

A massive problem is the play of halfback Ben Youngs, who could be the most technically poor halfback in the competition.

His release and ball velocity are good, it’s the time taken to get the ball released that’s the problem. Picking up the ball, loading up the pass and even taking a few steps before passing upright is a sure way to cause problems with your own attack, creating slow ball to work with. He cannot fire the ball off the deck and must stand up every time, and makes slow decisions.

His work in and around the ruck looks lazy, with no urgency to find the ball and he often looks like he doesn’t know where the ball should go – another sign the Tigers have no idea what pattern they are in. Here below is a four-second ruck for no other reason than Youngs wants to play a forward pod back to the left when his backs are open and ready to the right the same way. With no contest for the ball, Exeter can reload and bring line speed easily with this slow delivery.

There are times when playing slow can be beneficial, the problem with Youngs is there seems to be only one speed and he can’t lift the tempo.
When you add in the fact that his accuracy can be wayward at times, it’s hard to see where the Tigers will get better with this halves combination. Ford’s decision-making and Youngs’ technical ability compound the problems.
The team came under fire last year as similar issues persisted with the return of Australian coach Matt O’Connor from the Queensland Reds, and the chorus of doubters will only grow louder after this opening performance.

His season as the attack and backs coach with the Super Rugby franchise in 2016 ended abruptly after one of the worst seasons in Reds history, where the team was widely criticised for poor and almost non-existent structure – there issues are looming once again.

His stint before that with Irish club Leinster ended just two years into a three-year deal after the side fell apart with deteriorating play under his watch, criticised for a lack of creative running rugby. In his first season, he won the Pro12 with a squad of players inherited from current Ireland coach Joe Schmidt.

His return to the Tigers is back to where he found his first coaching success, winning two Premiership titles as an assistant to Richard Cockerill in 2009 and 2010. Cockerill was promoted to Director of Rugby at the club, opening the pathway for O’Connor to take the head-coaching job in 2011. Leicester were losing finalists back-to-back before capturing a third title in five years in 2013.

O’Connor’s coaching career has been unusual with success achieved with inherited squads before either rapid decline or quickly moving on. Last year with O’Connor in charge was the first time the Tigers missed the Premiership playoffs in over a decade (and his first at the club without Cockerill).

Since the late 2000’s and early 2010’s, it could be said the English game has modernised, but the Tigers have not. Exeter’s own rise has been on the back of a possession-based game and others like Saracens and Wasps have also played an attacking style of rugby and remain the Premiership’s power clubs.

Based on the opening game, the Tigers need to find a fresh direction and fast if they are going to salvage this season. That means finding an innovative coach who has a track record of success with modern attacking play, rather than looking to play 10-man rugby from the past to find the answer.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

And he wasn't even playing......

https://twitter.com/EllisGenge
As Good As It Gets
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

newport tiger wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:07 am The title of this thread is "PAINFUL?" and that's exactly what it was for us who love and give our support to our club, i do wonder however do the players share our pain? At the full time whistle Manu went to shake hands with the opposition with a huge smile on his face. I'm sure very few if any supporters expected a win yesterday but that performance was dreadful with only Denton coming through with any credit.
He was just being respectful I guess by shaking everybody’s hand, your comment is very assumptive in my opinion. He was smiling because perhaps an Exeter player made a joke?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni