Who's gonna fail?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ourla
Super User
Super User

Who's gonna fail?

Post by ourla »

What always intrigues me about a new season is how everyone is positive and has hopes and dreams... but you know some will fail, even have a stinker. The question is always who!?

I'll stick my neck out. Here are my tips for going t!ts up:

Saints - Boyd is a risk. Clearly he's a great coach in the southern hemisphere. But at 60 coming into the Prem for the first time, who knows. And the squad just doesn't look strong enough to me.

Quins - Another team with a new coaching set up and doubts over the strength of their squad. Will be really interesting to see if the wounds of last season have beeen healed.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Re: Who's gonna fail?

Post by trendylfj »

Worcs are favorites in my eyes - lost too many important players for me to believe anythingelse
Hehehehehehehehe
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Agree with Saints, they actually have a really poor squad, especially with Biggar now injured. You look at their forwards and it’s full of players past their prime such as Haskell, Franks, Wood etc

I know loads of their fans are feeling optimistic about the coming season but I can’t see them doing great. Can easily see them coming eighth or worse.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Bristol could be many supporters favourites for the drop as so much money has been invested in the club, but then again look at Toulon who some say "bought" their success, but their bubble could be about to burst.
Otherwise, it'll be the clubs mentioned above who'll be in the drop zone.
Semper in excretia
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Bottom 4 - Bristol, Harlequins and Saints with Worcester to be relegated.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Harlequins are in danger IMO, pre-season results haven't been great and although I don't normally read into that they really could have done with some convincing wins to boost moral.

Saints will be fine IMO, in fact part of me thinks they may do pretty well this season although I'm not sure they will finish any higher than 6th.

Bath and Wasps could struggle a little if they get more long term injuries. Overall I wouldn't like to call who's gonna go down this year as the gap has closed massively, in fact this year could be the first in a while where an established prem side goes down
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Harlequins have actually got one of their best squads in what 4/5 years, their problem isn’t strength necessarily it’s availability. But’s it an inexperienced coaching staff, Codling has never coached at Premiership level before to my knowledge, Gustard has never been a head coach before. I can’t see Quins realistically challenging for Top 4 but I’d say 7th is realistic. Gustard will stay at Quins regardless unless they’re relegated in my opinion because he needs time to build. I mean this’ll be their squad during the Six Nations if everybody’s fit:

1 Boyce
2 Ward
3 Auterac
4 South
5 Horwill ©️🇦🇺
6 Bothma 🇳🇦
7 Wallace
8 Chisholm
9 Waters
10 Catrakilis
11 Saili 🇳🇿
12 Lasike 🇺🇸
13 Tapuai 🇦🇺
14 Walker
15 Swiel
16 Elia 🇼🇸
17 Lambert
18 Ibuanokpe
19 Symons
20 Luamanu 🇼🇸
21 Mulchrone
22 Lang 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
23 Alofa 🇼🇸
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Sometimes a club needs a mixed preseason for things to work on, that defeat to Glasgow might be hugely beneficial or might set Quins down on a run of defeats.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

With a heavy heart, I expect Wuss to be the one BUT we could see a big name or two down there. Quins were my expected 10/11 and both they and Wasps could need refinance by the end of the season, prob a bigger threat than relegation.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

I avoided mentioning Warriors because the expectations are quite low and it would probably be more of a surprise if they weren't struggling. I guess you could argue based on last seasons form Saints and Quins are obvious "strugglers" but I think there is an assumption that the new coaching set ups and a smattering of new signings will bring about a change in fortunes. And plus they are clubs that previously to that were regularly seen as top 4 candidates. Reminds me a bit of Bath when Blackadder came in. At best it will take time anyhow but a bad start and things could get a little tricky.

The likes of Bristol, Sale, Gloucester, Bath, Falcons, arguably Tigers, all look like they are reasonable shape in terms of over the season being "in the mix" for Europe, mid-table, pushing for play offs, however you want to look at it. But perhaps one of them could hit a bad run, spell of injuries, that causes them to falter.

Nothing to suggest Chiefs, Sarries or Wasps won't be at the top end right now.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

It's a tough one to call - no obvious weak link this year with Bris being better resourced, and coached, than any team coming up since Exeter.

Most of the 'middle-ranked' teams have strengthened - Sale, Glos, and Newcastle should kick on, although it will be interesting to see how both Glos and Newcastle cope with the added playing load of competing in the European Cup this year.

It will also be interesting to see how both Quins and Saints go with their new coaches. Neither have the intensity of top tier Europe to worry about, and I think Boyd has been canny in surrounding himself with home-based coaches.Saints have also made one or two decent signings, and if their senior players such as Lawes, stay fit, then he and Barrow might be a useful pairing.If Vesty can get their back-line firing, I don't think Saints will need to worry.
Quins should also have enough, but I'm a little less sure about them. Again, it will come down to keeping their senior players fit.

That leaves Worcs, and their large S.A. contingent. Some talented players, but financially heavily in debt; Ownership?; Who knows? Weren't they one of several teams who came away from Welford Road with a result last season?

All to play for....
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

If Worcester can keep their 1st team fit they should stay up IMO
1. Waller
2. Singleton
3. Schonert
4. Fatialofa
5. Barry
6. Van Velze
7. Mama
8. Du Preez
9. Hougaard
10. Lance
11. Adams
12. Teo
13. Venter
14. Heem
15. Pennell

That backline is decent and that's without Weir, Beck, Mills, Olivier, Humphreys and talented youngster Lawrence
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

kpj tiger wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:45 pm If Worcester can keep their 1st team fit they should stay up IMO
1. Waller
2. Singleton
3. Schonert
4. Fatialofa
5. Barry
6. Van Velze
7. Mama
8. Du Preez
9. Hougaard
10. Lance
11. Adams
12. Teo
13. Venter
14. Heem
15. Pennell

That backline is decent and that's without Weir, Beck, Mills, Olivier, Humphreys and talented youngster Lawrence
Anton Bresler, Fa’osiliva, Sam Lewis would probably in my book be in the squad. Worcester have got plenty of options in the backrow, but the likes of Dewald Potgieter and Van Velse do struggle with injury.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Worcester are the obvious choice.

I think Wasps might not be as strong as they have been this season. Nothing to base that on, just a hunch.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

POSTIGER wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:08 pm Worcester are the obvious choice.

I think Wasps might not be as strong as they have been this season. Nothing to base that on, just a hunch.
Wouldn’t disagree. Sopawanga and Shields May take time to bed in following long super rugby seasons , Gopperth long term injury , Le Roux with South Africa for the first month