Who's gonna fail?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ourla
Super User
Super User

Re: Who's gonna fail?

Post by ourla »

After the first block of games a good time to look at where we are at.

Top 2 have performed as expected.

Ultimately not that surprising to see Wasps, Gloucester, Tigers heading the chasing pack.

Newcastle have been the surprising failures so far - although their exploits in Europe suggest they won't be propping up the table for long. Their next 4 Prem games are Quins, Bath, Northampton and Gloucester, so you'd expect some W's to come.

Almost as surprisingly Sale with only 1 BP are next worst. There are away at Sarries next so could be bottom after the next round. But there are definite signs of life there and after that I expect them to pick up.

Bristols thumping at Worcester was a really big result and has changed the complexion of their seasons almost in 80 minutes. Bristol do look at tad vulnerable, with the way they play and the personnel they have. But I think they have a good coach and set up and won't fold completely. Definitely under threat for me though. Meanwhile Worcester now have definite hope.

Saints, Bath, Quins still seem to me to have bad run capabilities in them and can't be written out of the relegation fight just yet.
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

Saints dealt a blow with Mallinder out for rest of season through injury and subsequent surgery.

Agree on Newcastle - pundits were waxing lyrical about their fortunes this season but so far not seen, although their fixture list may have compounded their slow start. Early days yet.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Francis Saili has returned for Quins which is huge and players like Kunatani, Symons and Lasike are great signings by Paul Gustard. They’ll survive.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Into the European and Noddy Cup break Newcastle Falcons continue to struggle, with Worcester Warriors looking over their shoulder. Bristol and Saints still not safe but currently doing enough.

Hard to see anyone else free falling enough to get relegated though it could be argued Wasps are failing - in context of their position in recent seasons.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Falcons remaining fixtures:

Bath (A)
Exeter (A)
Worcester (H)
Wasps (A)
Sale (H)
Saracens (A)
Tigers (H)
Saints (H)
Gloucester (A)
Bristol (H)
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Can't see one away win there for Newcastle,question is can they win the 4 at home they might need to stay up and pick up another 2/3 BP along the way?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:13 pm Can't see one away win there for Newcastle,question is can they win the 4 at home they might need to stay up and pick up another 2/3 BP along the way?
That Worcester game already looks massive.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Will be huge,most likely a must win for both teams.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:13 pm Can't see one away win there for Newcastle,question is can they win the 4 at home they might need to stay up and pick up another 2/3 BP along the way?
Absolutely Scott and the worrying thing for them is that they’ve been losing heavily at home.
Maybe too much money invested in Stardust backs who seem to not play very often.
If they did go down who’s head would be on the block, Richards or Walder
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I assume Deano. Here's an interesting question though,if the GP were to be ringfenced as early as next season with 13 teams would 2 come up or would Newcastle/Relegated team get a reprieve?
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:29 pm I assume Deano. Here's an interesting question though,if the GP were to be ringfenced as early as next season with 13 teams would 2 come up or would Newcastle/Relegated team get a reprieve?
I think it would be the existing 12 with Orish
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

So it might not matter then anyway!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I think the plan is to ringfence and promote four teams (Irish, Ealing + 2 more) which sounds like a great idea for me only if Premiership Rugby/RFU actually try their best to avoid another London Welsh scenario.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Not keen on two conferences! Much rather prefer 13 teams with a bye every week.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:40 pm I think the plan is to ringfence and promote four teams (Irish, Ealing + 2 more) which sounds like a great idea for me only if Premiership Rugby/RFU actually try their best to avoid another London Welsh scenario.
Didn’t know that so potentially you would have a league of 16 meaning 30 league games a season. Hopefully that would mean the end of the cup competition
Just read Scott’s post on 2 conferences which makes a certain amount of sense