Who's gonna fail?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Who's gonna fail?

Post by Scott1 »

If it is 16 teams I think it will be two conferences,with a couple of interconference games to lengthen the amount.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Mark62 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:45 pm
JP14 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:40 pm I think the plan is to ringfence and promote four teams (Irish, Ealing + 2 more) which sounds like a great idea for me only if Premiership Rugby/RFU actually try their best to avoid another London Welsh scenario.
Didn’t know that so potentially you would have a league of 16 meaning 30 league games a season. Hopefully that would mean the end of the cup competition
Just read Scott’s post on 2 conferences which makes a certain amount of sense
Don't see how 30 league games plus 6 champions cup are possible - That is an increase of 4 games without the league cup or 1/4ers etc in the Champions cup or end of season final - 2 conferences would be the only way 16 could work and I don't like that option
Hehehehehehehehe
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Nor me,and I don't see that as a plan either. Wasn't the Ealing owner talking about commencing legal action if ringfencing does come off? That tells me it will be 13 teams when it happens which works perfectly if you bin the PRC. I would shorten the RCC to 16 teams too. It's quite exciting this year but usually the last couple of rounds have too many meaningless games with one or both teams already out,2 teams going through out of every group enhances the competition imo.5 out of each league and CC winner. If CC winner has qualified then runner up. If runner up has then the team with the next best points average from the 3 leagues.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:43 pm Not keen on two conferences! Much rather prefer 13 teams with a bye every week.
I’d thought there would still be a bye week with two conferences.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

A week's rest for everyone? Or two different teams every round?
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I cringe every time I see the words 'ring fence'. I almost have a break down when I see the words 'two conferences'.

I hope neither happen.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

JP14 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:40 pm I think the plan is to ringfence and promote four teams (Irish, Ealing + 2 more) which sounds like a great idea for me only if Premiership Rugby/RFU actually try their best to avoid another London Welsh scenario.
Ringfencing (a "closed league" as Mark Evans calls it) would be untidy if it was done with an odd number of teams. The opening and final weekend of fixtures are designed to be fairly big occasions; if one team had to sit either out it would be a let down. Therefore I can't see it happening just yet. However...

I can see a scenario where the team relegated this season is guaranteed to return, and that another qualifying club can join them to close the league at 14 teams for the time being. The PRC/AWC/LV type cup would be off the menu if that was the case. I'd then suggest a period of 2-3 years to see if any other clubs have the ability to join the top flight, at which a decision on whether to expand to a conference format is then made.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

ellis9 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:36 pm I cringe every time I see the words 'ring fence'. I almost have a break down when I see the words 'two conferences'.

I hope neither happen.
The problem is there are 13 Premiership shares. More then 13 clubs (but not many more) want to be, and potentially have the means to be, part of the full time professional set up.

To be fair, Exeter, great as their success has been, are the exception to the promotion/relegation/promotion farce.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:58 am
ellis9 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:36 pm I cringe every time I see the words 'ring fence'. I almost have a break down when I see the words 'two conferences'.

I hope neither happen.
The problem is there are 13 Premiership shares. More then 13 clubs (but not many more) want to be, and potentially have the means to be, part of the full time professional set up.

To be fair, Exeter, great as their success has been, are the exception to the promotion/relegation/promotion farce.
Those clubs outside of the Premiership that want to be in the Premiership will be working hard to achieve promotion.

They will get their chance if they work hard enough and are good enough.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Super Rugby has odd teams and kicks off the season with a bye,as long as we have a big double header I wouldn't worry. I hope it happens and asap,great for player welfare,better for our teams in Europe and better for England,win win all round!
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

I think part of the problem is that the team coming up and team going down have been playing in different leagues all season which gives them a different benchmark of where each are at in relation to each other. I think this is particularly so for the promoted team and may account for them coming up and going straight back down so often.

Maybe the Championship winner should play a 2 leg play-off with the 12th placed Premiership side and the winner over the 2 legs is in the premiership next season. The games could be played during the top 4 play-off period. Extra excitement, revenue etc into the bargain. The benefit would be a MORE clear comparison between the 2 where it may be better to keep 12th place in the premiership if they are stronger than the team which wins the Championship.
As Good As It Gets
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:51 pm If it is 16 teams I think it will be two conferences,with a couple of interconference games to lengthen the amount.
Home and away play-offs could easily bring the number of games to around 20, against the current 22 rounds.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:39 am Super Rugby has odd teams and kicks off the season with a bye,as long as we have a big double header I wouldn't worry. I hope it happens and asap,great for player welfare,better for our teams in Europe and better for England,win win all round!
It's not "win win all round" though is it?!

Just ask the Championship clubs if they think it's "win win all round".
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Scuttle wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:14 pm I think part of the problem is that the team coming up and team going down have been playing in different leagues all season which gives them a different benchmark of where each are at in relation to each other. I think this is particularly so for the promoted team and may account for them coming up and going straight back down so often.

Maybe the Championship winner should play a 2 leg play-off with the 12th placed Premiership side and the winner over the 2 legs is in the premiership next season. The games could be played during the top 4 play-off period. Extra excitement, revenue etc into the bargain. The benefit would be a MORE clear comparison between the 2 where it may be better to keep 12th place in the premiership if they are stronger than the team which wins the Championship.
Yes it would show the difference between the teams, at the time of the play off, but what about a team that then strengths its self by signing better players during the close season?
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Scuttle what you suggest has already been tried, the odds were found to be too much in favour of the Premiership side.
I do not agree with ring fencing, for me promotion and relegation are essential but I do agree that any top level team should meet minimum ground criteria. I don't like the idea of conferences, I pay for my season ticket to watch 11 League matches and 3 European games plus the Premiership Cup games. I would be happy to lose the Prem' Cup matches if the League was increased to fourteen teams and two up two down with players pitch time limited over any 12 months. I would also ask that Championship teams state at the start of a season whether or not they will accept promotion and will meet the necessary ground standards if they achieve a top two position.
I believe the result of those proposals will maintain the principal of relegation although most second tier cubs would have to do some work before they were in a position to move into the Premiership.