Exeter team

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Exeter team

Post by Will S »

I would be very tempted to start with Toomua. Don't get me wrong, I really like Eastmond, but I would go with Matt for the following reasons:
- Whilst he hasn't been in camp it is not as though he will come back rusty. He hasn't been sitting on his backside but playing international rugby (only as a sub so won't be exhausted but his eye will be in). He will be up to speed pretty quick.
- His defence will be very important against the Chiefs. Not only is he a very strong defender but he wins a fair share of turnover and disrupting Chiefs ability to retain the ball for long periods is key. They will be a lot more worried running down our centre channel with Matt there.
- Matt is a more experienced centre. He will better be able to stop Manu jumping out the defence line.
- Whilst he hasn't played with the guys for several weeks he has had a lot more game time outside Ford etc than Kyle.
- I'm not sure but I think Matt has a bigger kick on him. Ford is not the longest so having Matt there to help clear lines could be helpful.
- I think it will be a close game. Being able to bring on Kyle in the closing stages against tired legs might help.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Will S wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:33 am I would be very tempted to start with Toomua. Don't get me wrong, I really like Eastmond, but I would go with Matt for the following reasons:
- Whilst he hasn't been in camp it is not as though he will come back rusty. He hasn't been sitting on his backside but playing international rugby (only as a sub so won't be exhausted but his eye will be in). He will be up to speed pretty quick.
- His defence will be very important against the Chiefs. Not only is he a very strong defender but he wins a fair share of turnover and disrupting Chiefs ability to retain the ball for long periods is key. They will be a lot more worried running down our centre channel with Matt there.
- Matt is a more experienced centre. He will better be able to stop Manu jumping out the defence line.
- Whilst he hasn't played with the guys for several weeks he has had a lot more game time outside Ford etc than Kyle.
- I'm not sure but I think Matt has a bigger kick on him. Ford is not the longest so having Matt there to help clear lines could be helpful.
- I think it will be a close game. Being able to bring on Kyle in the closing stages against tired legs might help.
Good points and well made
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

BFG wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:09 am That's a crucial point regarding the ability to defend the maul.
I've been watching very closely and it's not for a lack of coaching or player effort in my opinion but more relative to the strength of the opposition.
Were it my choice then I would be looking to coach what does happen rather than what should happen and tactically target the ball in the air at line outs and become masters of the line out steal, force opposition into short line outs, strengthen being exposed on the open side and have the touch line as a close friend.
I agree, as a lineout jumper myself I always look to compete in the lineout to try and steal the ball, even if I don’t succeed or in this theoretical case, Tigers, don’t succeed in stealing the ball, if they make a good effort of it they will undoubtedly put the opposition under pressure therefore it would be easier to repel the maul.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Is this thread meant to be Exeter's team to play us or Tigers team to play Exeter?

Our team looks like being a strong one, only missing a couple of players, looks like we have a strong squad, (at this point in the season) with good back up!

Good to have Barnes as Ref, should get a fair share of the 50/50s. Tigers can sneak this one! :smt002
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Will S wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:33 am I would be very tempted to start with Toomua. Don't get me wrong, I really like Eastmond, but I would go with Matt for the following reasons:
All excellent points, my view is he’s gone for a month after this week and hasn’t been training with the squad so let’s continue building that midfield unit so put him on the bench
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

The arguments put forward regarding Toomua or Eastmond at 12 all have merit but I think it comes down to this, for me. The best way of getting the most points out of a game most often is to always play/start with your very best side. I'm not concerned whether Toomua or Taf miss the following couple of games. If they're the best 12 and 2 - play them.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

strawclearer wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:37 pm ...and Wayne is Sir!
...and, apparently, this will be his last season as 'Sir' - which is a real shame.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... are_btn_tw
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

strawclearer wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:49 pm
...and, apparently, this will be his last season as 'Sir' - which is a real shame.

Such a shame, he's the best ref in the world at the moment in my opinion
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Talks about him going back to being a Barrister, hopefully he will also have time to mentor younger refs, particularly in terms of game management, empathy and player communication
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

strawclearer wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:49 pm

Reading that, last “full” season implies he’ll do the remainder of the 19/20 season post RWC perhaps?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Does anyone think they’ll be any surprising selections from the Tigers, last year very few predicted that Malouf would start against Bath?
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:33 am Does anyone think they’ll be any surprising selections from the Tigers, last year very few predicted that Malouf would start against Bath?
Honestly no. Other than O’Connor and Bateman starting I think it will be the same XV as last week. For me TPN and Toomua on the bench
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

JP14 wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:33 am Does anyone think they’ll be any surprising selections from the Tigers, last year very few predicted that Malouf would start against Bath?
Reffell or Olowfela would be the only ones that could be "surprise" selections I would imagine
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Mark62 wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:49 am
Honestly no. Other than O’Connor and Bateman starting I think it will be the same XV as last week. For me TPN and Toomua on the bench
Yeah I agree, other than that Bateman might be on the bench and Fe’ao starting.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

OTY definitely starting at hooker as shown by tigers instagram feed showing his shirt being printed