Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Exeter team

Post by RagingBull »

From the merc.
Tigers remain without Guy Thompson (knee), Gareth Owen (calf) and Graham Kitchener (hip) but O'Connor said all were progressing well.
Flanker Brendon O'Connor will be available to face Exeter in Saturday's Premiership opener, while centre Matt Toomua and hooker Tatafu Polota-Nau return from the Australia camp this week and are in line to play some part at Exeter.
Polota-Nau started in the Wallabies' 40-12 defeat by New Zealand on Saturday in the second Bledisloe Cup Test, while Toomua was a second-half replacement.
"They will be back at Oval Park on Monday so we will see how they go," said O'Connor.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Re: Exeter team

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

One of the big indicators for this season is who sits on the bench if one of GF or MT are not available, if its Joe Ford over Worth or Hardwick then we have an even bigger problem with our coaching team.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

I would start both TPN and Matt on the bench. My dilemma is with BOC. Could he last say 60 minutes? Do we risk starting him or do we play Reffell with BOC as cover if he struggles? Kalamafoni and Denton are nailed on starters for me at 6 and 8 and given the Chiefs back row abilities at the breakdown I think we need a genuine 7 so Mike Williams misses out.

My preferred 23 is therefore:

Faieo
Tom Youngs
Cole
Fitzgerald
Spencer
Denton
Reffell
Kalamafoni
Ben Youngs
George Ford
May
Eastmond
Tuilagi
Thompstone
Veainu

Polata-Nau
Bateman (if not fit then Maafu)
Cortes
Williams
O'Connor
Harrison
Toomua
Olowofela or Worth (to give cover at wing, outside centre or full back)

Holmes unfortunately misses out but I have picked on a "horses for courses" basis preferring Thompstone's defensive strength and Olowifela/Worth because they cover centre as well as wing/fullback. Against other opposition I would give Holmes a go. I see him in rotation with Thompstone this season and sharing cover for Jonny May with Olowofela when Jonny is absent.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

I would play BOC considering Kvesic started last game for Chiefs to combat him. Faeo to start instead of Maafu who is a very poor scrummsger from first viewing. TPN and Toomua on bench,only dilemma are Reffell or Williams and Holmes or Olowefela on bench,for me I'd go Williams and Holmes
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Faeo
Youngs
Cole
Wells
Spencer
Denton
BoC
Kalamafoni
Youngs
Ford
May
Eastmond
Tuilagi
Thompstone
Veainu

Cortes,TPN,Bateman, Fitzgerald,Williams,Harrison,Toomua,Holmes
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Don't forget May can play 11,13,14,15 and Eastmond can play 13 too. Holmes can cover FB too.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Cortes called up by Argentina.......
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:04 pm I would play BOC considering Kvesic started last game for Chiefs to combat him. Faeo to start instead of Maafu who is a very poor scrummsger from first viewing. TPN and Toomua on bench,only dilemma are Reffell or Williams and Holmes or Olowefela on bench,for me I'd go Williams and Holmes
Pretty sure it was Maafu who won 2 scrummage penalties on Friday night.

I think you have to have Toomua and TPN on the bench they are only here for the week so need to build partnerships.

If Bateman is fit he has to start ahead of the 2 south sea islanders and O’Connor nailed on to start at 7 with Williams and Mapapalanga on the bench to cover the back 5
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Did he? I thought we struggled then Feao came on and destroyed their TH in his first scrum. No Fitzgerald? Mapapalangi although a very good talent doesn't have the workrate Fitzy does and we will be lucky to get a third possession,our tackle count will be huge.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Toomua and TPN are back and have been training today!
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

I still wouldn't start both of them,Fridays backs deserve to start Saturday imo and Youngs is captain
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I think Bateman is fit judging by social media and I don’t think it’s fair to start TPN and Toomua...

Fe’ao
Youngs
Cole
Wells
Spencer
Denton
Reffell
Kalamafoni

Youngs
Ford
May
Eastmond
Tuilagi
Holmes
Veainu

TPN, Bateman, Heyes, Williams, O’Connor, Harrison, Toomua, Olowofela
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

No Thompstone JP? And a rule of thumb (ie BoC) is always start your 50/50 players. If he's struggling he can be replaced,if he's on the bench and Reffell gets injured in minute one for example he's gotta play 79 minutes. So BoC starts for me or misses out.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:46 pm Did he? I thought we struggled then Feao came on and destroyed their TH in his first scrum. No Fitzgerald? Mapapalangi although a very good talent doesn't have the workrate Fitzy does and we will be lucky to get a third possession,our tackle count will be huge.
Certainly 2 scrum penalties before Feao came on and I thought both were against their tighthead. It matters not now.
I like Fitzgerald just think Williams and Mapapalanga offer better coverage
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:47 pm No Thompstone JP? And a rule of thumb (ie BoC) is always start your 50/50 players. If he's struggling he can be replaced,if he's on the bench and Reffell gets injured in minute one for example he's gotta play 79 minutes. So BoC starts for me or misses out.
Thompstone looks to have had a decent game vs the Exiles but I will always go for Holmes, fair point re O’Connor but Reffell certainly has showed us in preseason, against Bath in AWC and for Wales that he is definitely the real deal. However I imagine, O’Connor would probably go with O’Connor, he is better in the loose and better over the breakdown.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni