Great quote

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Post Reply
ellis9
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4187
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:44 pm
Location: Birmingham

Great quote

Post by ellis9 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:14 am

Richard Cockerill on getting praised for Edinburgh's season:

Getting praise for Edinburgh finishing 5th in PRO14 left Richard Cockerill puzzled. “Finishing 5th would have got me the sack at Leicester Tigers ,”he says. “In fact I got sacked for less at Leicester.

POSTIGER
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2847
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:48 am
Location: In the office pretending to work

Re: Great quote

Post by POSTIGER » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:10 pm

Have you considered counselling ellis9?

I thought Cockers' sacking was harsh too, especially after everything he had done but he left a while ago now so maybe it's time to change the record? He's not coming back anytime soon is he? It's pointless talking about it now because it is what it is.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play

Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1429
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:58 pm

Re: Great quote

Post by Rugbyflanker » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:01 pm

Obsession by Calvin Klein

ellis9
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4187
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:44 pm
Location: Birmingham

Re: Great quote

Post by ellis9 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:54 pm

POSTIGER wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:10 pm
Have you considered counselling ellis9?

I thought Cockers' sacking was harsh too, especially after everything he had done but he left a while ago now so maybe it's time to change the record? He's not coming back anytime soon is he? It's pointless talking about it now because it is what it is.
Why is it pointless talking about it? Just because it happened 18 months ago?

People still say it was harsh that Deano got sacked and that was 15 years ago!

ellis9
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4187
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:44 pm
Location: Birmingham

Re: Great quote

Post by ellis9 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:54 pm

Rugbyflanker wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:01 pm
Obsession by Calvin Klein
Your fragrance is "Depression" by Calvin Klein.

mol2
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3093
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 5:48 pm
Location: Cosby

Re: Great quote

Post by mol2 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:21 am

That says as much about Edinburgh’s lack of ambition and expectation than it does about RC.

We want Tigers to be the best in Europe, they are pleased with 4th in their league.

BFG
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2415
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:19 pm

Re: Great quote

Post by BFG » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:08 am

mol2 wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:21 am
That says as much about Edinburgh’s lack of ambition and expectation than it does about RC.

We want Tigers to be the best in Europe, they are pleased with 4th in their league.
They are only pleased with 4th if Scotland beat England!

4071
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2701
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:21 am
Location: London

Re: Great quote

Post by 4071 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:49 pm

ellis9 wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:14 am
Richard Cockerill on getting praised for Edinburgh's season:

Getting praise for Edinburgh finishing 5th in PRO14 left Richard Cockerill puzzled. “Finishing 5th would have got me the sack at Leicester Tigers ,”he says. “In fact I got sacked for less at Leicester.
It's not about where you finish, it's about trajectory.

After several years under Cockerill, Tigers were only going in one direction and that decline had been obvious for some time. Cockerill was being rescued by his undoubted ability to get good individual performances from a team, which ensured that when Tigers had their backs against the wall they were able to dig out just enough to get to semi-finals.

Where Cockerill was weak was in laying the groundwork for future success and developing the team both in terms of style and personnel. His almost total inability to bring players through from the academy was a symptom of that.

Cockerill's perspective was always about the next game. He was focused, but short-sighted. He was the captain who roused the troops and led them out to win the battle. He was never the general who looked past the battle and understood how to win the war.

You can compare him to Baxter at Exeter - a few short years ago, both Tigers and Exeter were very similar. Both men picked the same players, rotated as little as possible, were reluctant to use subs and played a conservative style. Both took their time over introducing academy players. However, Baxter was building the foundations on which he was planning to construct a better team. Cockerill's ambitions were just about winning the next game. When Baxter did introduce new players, he stuck with them and developed them properly. He saw the value in experience, but as back-up to allow the younger players to develop. He added strings to Exeter's bow in terms of style, and has created a club which - as everyone acknowledges - is more like the Tigers of old than we are today.

Under Cockerill, Tigers were still getting results, but were in decline. That is why he needed to leave. And perhaps that quote illustrates his inability to understand that.

4071
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2701
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:21 am
Location: London

Re: Great quote

Post by 4071 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:53 pm

Further to the above, it's only a shame that when we did offload Cockerill we conducted a 'worldwide' search to find a DOR who embodied all of Cockerill's flaws, just without the ability to get the best out of the team when backs were against the wall.


MOC has been notorious for his short stints at clubs, producing rapidly declining performance and failing to develop teams either in terms of style or personnel.

He was pretty much the worst possible replacement for Cockerill.

BFG
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2415
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:19 pm

Re: Great quote

Post by BFG » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:11 pm

All that 4071 and yet no mention if Tadhg Furlong, or Olowafela or Simmons for that matter.
When the right quality is present MOC will give it chances.

4071
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2701
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:21 am
Location: London

Re: Great quote

Post by 4071 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:06 pm

BFG wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:11 pm
All that 4071 and yet no mention if Tadhg Furlong, or Olowafela or Simmons for that matter.
When the right quality is present MOC will give it chances.
I'm sure Olowofela enjoyed the view from the bench for the full 80.

Simmons did get a few games last season, which was good to see. At least MOC didn't try and haul Jason Spice out of retirement for one last hurrah.

And yes, he did start Furlong a few times in his last season. Though he was still regularly a reserve rather than starter when he was capped for Ireland.

Heroic.

He's not exactly got a good track record, though. Has he.

BFG
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2415
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:19 pm

Re: Great quote

Post by BFG » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:03 pm

4071 wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:06 pm
BFG wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:11 pm
All that 4071 and yet no mention if Tadhg Furlong, or Olowafela or Simmons for that matter.
When the right quality is present MOC will give it chances.
I'm sure Olowofela enjoyed the view from the bench for the full 80.

Simmons did get a few games last season, which was good to see. At least MOC didn't try and haul Jason Spice out of retirement for one last hurrah.

And yes, he did start Furlong a few times in his last season. Though he was still regularly a reserve rather than starter when he was capped for Ireland.

Heroic.

He's not exactly got a good track record, though. Has he.
When the recruitment was good enough MOC did alright in what was a much more difficult period in the Premiership in my opinion.
You only need look at England's level to see that it was a stronger period in rugby history.
He may appear to be quite pragmatic to some but folk like you always fail to understand that sometimes players need holding back a little to protect them, I believe in this regard he has always had the best long term interests of young players at heart.
You only need look at a certain outside centre who came through very young to know this.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: JWM and 2 guests